Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > FireWire drive seen "twice" in Terminal

FireWire drive seen "twice" in Terminal
bradoesch
Professional Poster
Sep 23, 2002, 06:22 PM

Hello all,

I wasn't quite sure where to post this. I hope I'm in the right spot.
Anyway, here's my situation. I have a Maxtor FireWire drive (40GB model) running 10.2.1. It works fine in the Finder, but in in Terminal it is listed as 'FireWire HD' (which is it's actual name) and also as 'FireWire HD 1'. Moving into 'FireWire HD 1' I see pretty much everything that's supposed to be on that drive. 'FireWire HD' contains the first folder on the drive (one that begins with a blank space, if that matters) and a Bourne shell script text file called 'Activate'. The drive seems to be functioning properly. Do I need to be concerned about this?

Thanks for your help,

Brad

bradoesch  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 29, 2002, 04:35 PM

Does nobody know?

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Sep 30, 2002, 04:37 PM

This happened to me once and here's why:

I used Swap Cop to put my VM swap file on my external drive (called 'fire'). This changed my /etc/hostconfig file to include a reference to '/Volumes/fire'. Sometime after that I wound up rebooting while the firewire drive was turned off. So the system created the directory '/Volumes/fire' on my startup drive. Then when I turned on the firewire drive and it mounted, the name '/Volumes/fire' was taken, so it had to be assigned '/Volumes/fire 1' . To fix it I had to change my /etc/hostconfig file back to the default, reboot, delete the '/Volumes/fire' directory, and reboot again.

Long story short: There was probably something at startup that need the directory '/Volumes/FireWire HD' when you didn't have your drive connected, so it created the directory..

Hope that helps.
y.

Originally posted by bradoesch:
Hello all,

I wasn't quite sure where to post this. I hope I'm in the right spot.
Anyway, here's my situation. I have a Maxtor FireWire drive (40GB model) running 10.2.1. It works fine in the Finder, but in in Terminal it is listed as 'FireWire HD' (which is it's actual name) and also as 'FireWire HD 1'. Moving into 'FireWire HD 1' I see pretty much everything that's supposed to be on that drive. 'FireWire HD' contains the first folder on the drive (one that begins with a blank space, if that matters) and a Bourne shell script text file called 'Activate'. The drive seems to be functioning properly. Do I need to be concerned about this?

Thanks for your help,

Brad

bradoesch  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 30, 2002, 07:15 PM

Originally posted by slugslugslug:
This happened to me once and here's why:

I used Swap Cop to put my VM swap file on my external drive (called 'fire'). This changed my /etc/hostconfig file to include a reference to '/Volumes/fire'. Sometime after that I wound up rebooting while the firewire drive was turned off. So the system created the directory '/Volumes/fire' on my startup drive. Then when I turned on the firewire drive and it mounted, the name '/Volumes/fire' was taken, so it had to be assigned '/Volumes/fire 1' . To fix it I had to change my /etc/hostconfig file back to the default, reboot, delete the '/Volumes/fire' directory, and reboot again.

Long story short: There was probably something at startup that need the directory '/Volumes/FireWire HD' when you didn't have your drive connected, so it created the directory..

Hope that helps.
y.

Aha! You found a solution to my problem! I took a closer look at 'FireWire HD' this time showing hidden files and discovered the only thing on the drive were some songs downloaded by LimeWire. I had set LimeWire to download to a directory on the disk, but one time when it was disconnected, it must've did what you said and 'made' the drive and saved the files to it. I'm going to copy the files somewhere else. Am I safe to 'remove' that 'drive' after that?

Thanks A LOT for your reply!

Brad

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Oct 1, 2002, 12:25 AM

Originally posted by bradoesch:
Am I safe to 'remove' that 'drive' after that?
I would think so. It's actually just a directory on your boot drive. so you can rm -r it. If you want to be really paranoid about it, do it while the external HD isn't connected..

bradoesch  (op)
Professional Poster
Oct 1, 2002, 09:38 AM

Originally posted by slugslugslug:

I would think so. It's actually just a directory on your boot drive. so you can rm -r it. If you want to be really paranoid about it, do it while the external HD isn't connected..
So I want to do an rm -r on /volumes/FireWire HD ? I think I'l will disconnect my actual FireWire drive just to be safe! Thanks again for your help!

Brad

Forum Links
Forum Rules