Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > HalfLife 2 Benchies ATI vs Nvidia

HalfLife 2 Benchies ATI vs Nvidia
Ken Masters
Banned
Sep 13, 2003, 07:54 AM

Well from this site,

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showd...39;s FX cards,

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=11492
better

all N-FX cards were basically unplayable, this is with code optimization for the NV3x cards.

Can some one tell me if this link works or not???

I get a f*cken beach ball for EVER!!!

or camino crashes forver!

I have always hated Nvidia!!!
( Last edited by Ken Masters; Sep 13, 2003 at 08:11 AM. )

pman68
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 13, 2003, 01:50 PM

ATI is looking pretty good these days.

Does anyone know if they are going to port Half-Life 2 to OS X? I remember something about the first Half-life being cancelled after it was all ready to port over. Some legal issues as I recall.

businezguy
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 14, 2003, 03:23 AM

That's an amazing difference. ATI has released some superior products over the last year compared to nVidia. It's great to see some competition finally get back into the marketplace.

I wonder how a port of Half Life II would perform on the Mac platform. I guess it's an advantage that the Powermac pretty much ships with ATI cards.
Dual 1 ghz MDD with 80 gig and 1.25 DDR
17' Flat Panel Studio Display
14' 800 mhz iBook 30 gig and 256 SDRAM
20 gig iPOD

soul searching
Mac Elite
Sep 14, 2003, 03:43 AM

Slashdot quotes a NVIDIA press release which says that at the time of the Valve press conference new drivers were available for their cards that "would make for vast, legitimate performance improvements."

"I think of lotteries as a tax on the mathematically challenged." -- Roger Jones

Ken Masters  (op)
Banned
Sep 14, 2003, 03:54 AM

Can you really trust Nvidia with these drivers???

Remember the futurmark benchies?

Hehehe, remember Voodoo???

Back in the days, 3DFX claimed that 32bit has no significant difference to 16 bits, and their cards were just as good. (They ended up bankrupt)

Funny? That�s exactly what Nvidia is claiming right now with their FX cards

-----------------------
Porting Half Life 2 -> Os X, hm.... just wondering wouldn't the Mac need an app like or equivilent to Direct X9 or is open GL good enough?
( Last edited by Ken Masters; Sep 14, 2003 at 04:02 AM. )

soul searching
Mac Elite
Sep 14, 2003, 04:10 AM

Originally posted by Ken Masters:
Can you really trust Nvidia with these drivers???

Can you trust Valve with these benchmarks? Maybe, maybe not. It's a bit suspicious that they released these at an ATI event though.

To quote Slashdot, "if the Inquirer is to be believed, the bundling deal [their OEM bundling deal with ATI] was a result of an outright auction."

"I think of lotteries as a tax on the mathematically challenged." -- Roger Jones

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 14, 2003, 08:37 AM

With values as low as the NVidia cards are seeing, it has to be drivers. But without good drivers, no video card is worth a crap.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Ken Masters  (op)
Banned
Sep 14, 2003, 09:11 AM

[quote] originally posted by soul searching
Can you trust Valve with these benchmarks? Maybe, maybe not. It's a bit suspicious that they released these at an ATI event though.

Yes,

I don't see why a company like valve would want to cripple NFX's since Nividia like owns*80% of the market (guessing here). I don't see why they would want to wish crappy fram rates upon their valuable customers.

Bags of ca$$ from ATI???

well how much money do you think Valve would lose because after seeing all this, Nividia customers won't want 2 buy their game because their graphics cards suck so much?

30fps on thier top of the line card? Which maybe could be higher *if they use a driver that's not even released and doesn't even render all necesarry requirements.
( Last edited by Ken Masters; Sep 14, 2003 at 09:16 AM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules