Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > FileVault Question...

FileVault Question...
rlorenc
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 9, 2003, 07:18 PM

How does one remotely login to their machine from another machine while the first machine is using FileVault? The reason I am asking is because the way that FileVault works is that it essentially makes an encrypted disc image to protect the Home folder contents. Unless there is a special provsion in 10.3 to account for this, I don't see how I may be able to access files from a FileVault-protected user folder. Only the disc image appears when connecting to that computer from a Jaguar (10.2.8)-running machine.

sandsl
Senior User
Oct 9, 2003, 07:45 PM

You can mount a FileVault protected disk image like any other disk image providing you have the password.

A FileVault protected user directory looks something like this when mounted from another user or computer:
/Users/Luke/luke.sparsediskimage

This is a regular disk image which, when double clicked and with the password entered mounts on the desktop.
Luke

rlorenc  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 9, 2003, 07:48 PM

Originally posted by sandsl:
You can mount a FileVault protected disk image like any other disk image providing you have the password.

A FileVault protected user directory looks something like this when mounted from another user or computer:
/Users/Luke/luke.sparsediskimage

This is a regular disk image which, when double clicked and with the password entered mounts on the desktop.
That's the way that I expected it to work, except on my Jaguar machine it doesn't work that way. I only get the "xxx.sparsediskimage" file that won't open, even when I authenticate (during the "Connect to server..." process) with the exact same username and password that the FileVault'd folder is protected under...

sandsl
Senior User
Oct 9, 2003, 07:55 PM

Originally posted by rlorenc:
That's the way that I expected it to work, except on my Jaguar machine it doesn't work that way. I only get the "xxx.sparsediskimage" file that won't open, even when I authenticate (during the "Connect to server..." process) with the exact same username and password that the FileVault'd folder is protected under...
It would appear in that case, that FileVault protected disk images are not standard disk images which can be opened in 10.2.

Mac OS X 10.3 Panther therefore must be required to mount FileVault protected disk images.
Luke

rlorenc  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 9, 2003, 07:56 PM

It would appear in that case, that FileVault protected disk images are not standard disk images which can be opened in 10.2.

Mac OS X 10.3 Panther therefore must be required to mount FileVault protected disk images.
Yup, that's what I came to figure...

Is that your idea or something that you're sure of? It seems pretty plausible.

Thanks.

sandsl
Senior User
Oct 9, 2003, 08:06 PM

Originally posted by rlorenc:
Yup, that's what I came to figure...

Is that your idea or something that you're sure of? It seems pretty plausible.

Thanks.
Its my experience - I can mount FileVault protected home directories fine on 10.3 but not on 10.2. Until we here otherwise I think its safe to assume that FileVault is 10.3 only.
Luke

clebin
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 9, 2003, 08:15 PM

Have you tried mounting it through SMB?

Or is SMB sharing not possible with a FileVault protectd home folder? This would make FileVault useless for a lot of people.

Chris

mmurray
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 9, 2003, 08:23 PM

So does this mean that if I ssh into my 10.3 Mac remotely from say a UNIX machine I cannot get at the stuff in the FileVault diskimage ?

Thanks - Michael

sandsl
Senior User
Oct 9, 2003, 08:25 PM

Originally posted by mmurray:
So does this mean that if I ssh into my 10.3 Mac remotely from say a UNIX machine I cannot get at the stuff in the FileVault diskimage ?
Once the FileVault disk image is mounted you can share it and access the files over a network like any other volume.

The problem seems to be that you need 10.3 to mount the FileVault disk image to enter the password.
Luke

rlorenc  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 9, 2003, 08:33 PM

Originally posted by mmurray:

Thanks - Michael
Yeah, none of this stuff sounds very good...

mmurray
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 9, 2003, 08:35 PM

Once the FileVault disk image is mounted you can share it and access the files over a network like any other volume.

The problem seems to be that you need 10.3 to mount the FileVault disk image to enter the password.
Hi Luke,

So if I have logged out to go home then the disk image is encrypted and not mounted. Presumably I could write an AppleScript and run it from my login -- but I would have to get the username / password in somehow. Sounds like its going to need launching VNC and login and mount it that way.

Thanks - Michael

Forum Links
Forum Rules