Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Digitizing an 8 mm tape in a Digital 8 camcorder-- is it possible?

Digitizing an 8 mm tape in a Digital 8 camcorder-- is it possible?
bradoesch
Professional Poster
Nov 17, 2003, 05:18 PM

Hi,

I have an 8 mm tape that I need to get some still pictures from. A friend of mine has a Digital 8 camcorder, and since Digital 8 camcorders can read 8 mm tapes, I was wondering if they can output via FireWire. Can the camera do the analog to digital conversion alright? The camcorder is a Sony model, if that helps.

Brad

buddhabelly
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 17, 2003, 09:18 PM

Originally posted by bradoesch:
Hi,

I have an 8 mm tape that I need to get some still pictures from. A friend of mine has a Digital 8 camcorder, and since Digital 8 camcorders can read 8 mm tapes, I was wondering if they can output via FireWire. Can the camera do the analog to digital conversion alright? The camcorder is a Sony model, if that helps.

Brad
Yes

bradoesch  (op)
Professional Poster
Nov 19, 2003, 03:05 PM

Originally posted by buddhabelly:
Yes
Thanks for your reply, it's good to know. I'll be doing this in order to grab a few stills.

wvx
Forum Regular
Nov 20, 2003, 10:31 AM

Originally posted by bradoesch:
Hi,

Brad
I have a Sony TRV-120 (Digital8) and it works great for capturing my old 8 and Hi8 tapes to DV clips on my computer. I use BTV-Pro as my capture app also.

The latest Sony Digital8 camcorders are incompatible with Macs however, check Apple's camcorder compatibility chart here...
http://www.apple.com/imovie/compatib...camcorder.html
This means that you can play your 8 and Hi8 tapes in them, but FORGET about sending the digital signal to your Mac.

Y3a
Mac Elite
Nov 20, 2003, 02:17 PM

Only the one that makes DVD's is missing the IEEE1394 interface. The Digital8's still do.

bradoesch  (op)
Professional Poster
Nov 20, 2003, 04:19 PM

I just want our old camcorder back. It was stolen from our rental car in France while we were getting lunch at a grocery store. What are the chances that I'll be able to find a Sony DCR-TRV510 Digital 8 camcorder used somewhere?

buddhabelly
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 20, 2003, 06:30 PM

Originally posted by wvx:
I have a Sony TRV-120 (Digital8) and it works great for capturing my old 8 and Hi8 tapes to DV clips on my computer. I use BTV-Pro as my capture app also.

The latest Sony Digital8 camcorders are incompatible with Macs however, check Apple's camcorder compatibility chart here...
http://www.apple.com/imovie/compatib...camcorder.html
This means that you can play your 8 and Hi8 tapes in them, but FORGET about sending the digital signal to your Mac.
So are you saying only older sony cameras work or none at all? I seem remember some posts to this forum about Digital 8 cams working fine, even though they are not officially on the list.

You will notice the only dv bridge listed is Sony, yet formac, canopus etc. have compatible products.

Forum Links
Forum Rules