Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Charges against Kobe dismissed...

Charges against Kobe dismissed...
scottiB
Professional Poster
Sep 1, 2004, 07:49 PM

http://www.cnn.com/2004/LAW/09/01/br...ial/index.html

After more than a year of build-up...it's over.
I am stupidest when I try to be funny.

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 1, 2004, 07:50 PM

Unbelievable.

Dex13
Mac Elite
Sep 1, 2004, 07:56 PM

Well I guess they knew someone was going to jail and it wasn't going to be Kobe, so why bother?

Zimphire
Baninated
Sep 1, 2004, 07:59 PM

Eh, not so sure he raped anyone myself.

faragbre967
Senior User
Sep 1, 2004, 08:27 PM

I knew he didn't do it. It just didn't seem his character. Not to mention the fact he's Kobe Bryant, he doesn't need to rape anyone, he could get like 98% of women in the US.

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 1, 2004, 08:27 PM

Originally posted by Zimphire:
I'm not sure he did he either--that's what trials are for but the prosecution completely bungled the case.
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 1, 2004, 08:30 PM

i don't believe he did it but who knows, i'm glad the case was dismissed

DeathToWindows
Professional Poster
Sep 1, 2004, 10:09 PM

And this required a "breaking news" bar in the middle of a show on ABC? I'm sorry, but the case against bryant should have never been national news - I do not give a flaming shite about him. Aquittal of a random NBA grunt is not national news.

Then again, I dislike commercialized, overpayed sports anyway - this means YOU, NBA, NHL, NFL... gagging

/rant

Gah. pardon me.

Don't try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 1, 2004, 10:23 PM

i dont think he did "it" either, lets think about this- he is kobe bryant. i know plenty of women/girls who wouldnt think twice about jumping in the sack with the guy... i always got the sense that she was just after the money, and once i heard that she was going to sue kobe, i became more sure of this.

why are they so secretive about her identity? she is not a minor... manofsteal, want to find a pic so i can say if id hit it� or not?

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 1, 2004, 10:28 PM

Originally posted by d4nth3m4n:
she is not a minor... manofsteal, want to find a pic so i can say if id hit it� or not?

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 1, 2004, 10:31 PM

Originally posted by manofsteal:
[img]http://www.blackwebportal.com/wire_images/globe2.jpg[img]
the google ninja strikes again.

and no, i think id hang on to my hot wife and NOT have to buy her an expensive ass rock to put on her finger. now pic of his wife? man, this is great...

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 1, 2004, 10:32 PM

now pic of his wife? man, this is great...

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 1, 2004, 10:33 PM

and for my third wish... a picture of a walrus.

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 1, 2004, 10:35 PM

and for my third wish... a picture of a walrus.
Keeping with the sports theme...

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 1, 2004, 10:37 PM

Keeping with the sports theme...

[img]http://i.cnn.net/si/2004/golf/02/15/bc.glf.championstour.ap/p1_stadler_ap.jpg[img]
thanks man, you make dial up strangely bearable.

i am done now, this thread can resume. carry on.

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 1, 2004, 10:39 PM

i am done now, this thread can resume. carry on.

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 1, 2004, 10:40 PM

potatoe.

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 1, 2004, 10:43 PM

potatoe.

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 1, 2004, 10:46 PM

[img]http://www.tincher.to/images/quayle.jpg[img]
this thread was ripe for a good Quaylein'

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 1, 2004, 10:47 PM

this thread was ripe for a good Quaylein'

E's Lil Theorem
Mac Elite
Sep 2, 2004, 01:44 AM

Text of Kobe Bryant's statement read in court by his attorney, Pamela Mackey:

"I want to apologize to her for my behavior that night and for the consequences she has suffered in the past year. Although this year has been incredibly difficult for me personally, I can only imagine the pain she has had to endure. I also want to apologize to her parents and family members, and to my family and friends and supporters, and to the citizens of Eagle, Colo.

Although I truly believe this encounter between us was consensual, I recognize now that she did not and does not view this incident the same way I did. After months of reviewing discovery, listening to her attorney, and even her testimony in person, I now understand how she feels that she did not consent to this encounter.

I issue this statement today fully aware that while one part of this case ends today, another remains. I understand that the civil case against me will go forward. That part of this case will be decided by and between the parties directly involved in the incident and will no longer be a financial or emotional drain on the citizens of the state of Colorado."
Sounds like he's at least guilty of using some force. The prosecution really did a number on this one.

Eh, most Lakers fans out there are rejoicing though.

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
Sep 2, 2004, 02:15 AM

Kobe Bryant is guilty... Of cheating on his spouse. So are millions of others (50+% of men, 40+% of women - source). That should be between him and his wife.

What gets me is that in this case, like most sexual assault cases, the guy's name is out there... His reputation ruined. The alleged victim gets to hide behind anonymity, even when it turns out she's completely full of sh!t. I'm glad the tabloids have outed KATELYN FABER.

Am I saying alleged victims of sex crimes shouldn't have their names protected? Of course not. But their alleged attackers shouldn't have their names "out there" either, until after they're convicted of something. How would this be implemented? That's for people smarter than me to sort out, but something should change.

As for that small-timey Eagle County prosecutor, here's to hoping he stays in the rural bush leagues, where he belongs. D!ck!
Jalen's dad. Carrie's husband.  partisan. Bleu blanc et rouge.

His Dudeness
Mac Elite
Sep 2, 2004, 02:21 AM

I agree. Kobe just has to snap his fingers and he could get any woman he wanted. He could probably steal Captain Kirk's green shiny women...

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Sep 2, 2004, 08:47 AM

All I know is that his attorneys are freakin' brilliant. The deal included:

a letter of apology from Kobe, a letter that essentially said that Kobe did not assault the woman but if she felt he did, then he's sorry.
Bryant's lawyers made sure that the jury will never see his apology by putting in the line, "She has agreed that this statement will not be used against me in the civil case."

I hope the civil case goes to court. By the time it does this will be long forgotten by the jurors even though they can't use it as consideration in the trial. Couple that with the level of information that can be brought in regarding the other events that happened around the alleged rape and there is about as fair trial as you are going to get. I would hate to see this end in a financial settlement.

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

Thorzdad
Sep 2, 2004, 08:50 AM

I have to wonder if the state's case was dropped under pressure by the woman and her attorneys? Possibly even in partnership with Bryant's people?

They recently files a civil case against Bryant. They stand a much better chance in a civil trial than a criminal trial, due to the lower bar of proof necessary in a civil case. Going through a criminal case could very possibly bork some testimony/evidence that they would want to use in the civil case.

Plus, the civil case is where the $$$$$$$$$$$ is.

The deal could go like this:

Bryant's people: Drop the criminal case, and we'll work $$$$$$$$$$$$omething out in the civil case.

Her attorneys: Deal.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Sep 2, 2004, 09:17 AM

Just goes to prove that if you have money and a public profile, you can get away with anything. He raped and sodomized the girl and he's not going to see a day in jail.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

amsalpemkcus
Mac Elite
Sep 2, 2004, 09:20 AM

Money Talks

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 2, 2004, 12:07 PM

Originally posted by Randman:
Just goes to prove that if you have money and a public profile, you can get away with anything. He raped and sodomized the girl and he's not going to see a day in jail.
Wow! If only you told the police you witnessed it and have proof the case wouldn't have been dropped!

[cue South Park episode about Michael Jackson]

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Zimphire
Baninated
Sep 2, 2004, 12:15 PM

LAWL! I don't think anyone was raped in this case. Raped girls don't go on to have casual sex with other men in the same day.

Zimphire
Baninated
Sep 2, 2004, 12:17 PM

This is her on the right.

His Dudeness
Mac Elite
Sep 2, 2004, 01:13 PM

Of course. You were there. So you know.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Sep 2, 2004, 01:59 PM

Yeah, and I bet all of you think OJ was innocent as well.

"I also want to make it clear that I do not question the motives of this young woman. No money has been paid to this woman. She has agreed that this statement will not be used against me in the civil case. Although I truly believe this encounter between us was consensual, I recognize now that she did not and does not view this incident the same way I did. After months of reviewing discovery, listening to her attorney, and even her testimony in person, I now understand how she feels that she did not consent to this encounter.

That was a quote from Bryant. And physical evidence from a rape kit showed bruising in the genital area and the area between the vagina and anus. Bruises not associated with consensual sex, especially if she was sexually active.

Blood was found on her panties (her period had been 9 days earlier, reports showed). Her blood was also found on Bryant's T-shirt, which again is not common with consensual sex.

So, no I was not there. But does the fact that no one else in the room with them mean than it was not rape? Even if she made out with him, if she said she didn't want to have sex, or even if she had sex and said no to anal sex and he forced himself upon her, that's still rape and sodomy.

And it was not conclusively proven that she had sex after the incident with Bryant. And even if she was a ho and took on the entire Buffs' basketball team, that means nothing if she was indeed raped.

Zimphire
Baninated
Sep 2, 2004, 02:18 PM

Yeah, and I bet all of you think OJ was innocent as well.

Nope. I don't.

"I also want to make it clear that I do not question the motives of this young woman. No money has been paid to this woman. She has agreed that this statement will not be used against me in the civil case. Although I truly believe this encounter between us was consensual, I recognize now that she did not and does not view this incident the same way I did.

She doesn't NOW. Tell me Randman how does one feel at one time it was ok, if someone is screaming "STOP DON'T" ?

After months of reviewing discovery, listening to her attorney, and even her testimony in person, I now understand how she feels that she did not consent to this encounter.

Yes, after she also had sex with a DIFFERENT guy THE SAME DAY. Sounds like a rape victim to me.

That was a quote from Bryant. And physical evidence from a rape kit showed bruising in the genital area and the area between the vagina and anus. Bruises not associated with consensual sex, especially if she was sexually active.

He had anal sex with her Randman. And from what has been told. The guy isn't a "small" man.

Blood was found on her panties (her period had been 9 days earlier, reports showed). Her blood was also found on Bryant's T-shirt, which again is not common with consensual sex.

Common with consensual anal sex. Yes indeed.
You know they had anal sex right?

So, no I was not there. But does the fact that no one else in the room with them mean than it was not rape? Even if she made out with him, if she said she didn't want to have sex, or even if she had sex and said no to anal sex and he forced himself upon her, that's still rape and sodomy.

This proves nothing Rand. ALL Bryant said is "I know that NOW she doesn't feel the same way did"

And it was not conclusively proven that she had sex after the incident with Bryant. And even if she was a ho and took on the entire Buffs' basketball team, that means nothing if she was indeed raped.
Rape victims don't go having sex hours after they have been raped. This is a fact.

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 2, 2004, 02:21 PM

"He has chosen...poorly..."

E's Lil Theorem
Mac Elite
Sep 2, 2004, 02:30 PM

http://www.fast.info/pix/caitlin_1.jpg
I always thought it was the one on the left.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Sep 2, 2004, 03:02 PM

The man deserved a fair trial. This doesn't qualify, and so I'm glad to see it dropped, but I hope it will be picked up again later so that the truth might be known, whichever way it happens to be.

Did he rape her? I don't claim to know. Nothing seems terribly conclusive. From what I've seen, what seems most likely is that she was raped by the other man she had sex with before going to the hospital, and is accusing Bryant for some reason. I don't believe this is due to raw opportunism; most likely, she really does believe that Bryant did it. But there are many ways in which her memory could be muddled about the event, even aside from the severe trauma rape causes. For example, it is not at all far-fetched that she might have been drugged, and therefore only remembers the encounter with Bryant, and even then not clearly. Taking into account the fact that she had obviously been raped, she then assumed (quite reasonably, given the information she had) that he was the one who did it.

Why do I believe this? Because there are many ways to mess up a rape exam. Some, such as showering or drinking (anything, not just alcohol) before the examination, are not universally-known. But I find it exceedingly difficult to believe that anyone would be stupid enough to willingly have sex with someone else before the exam. For most, it wouldn't even be a matter of intelligence; the payche has a way of recoiling from this sort of thing immediately after such trauma. We know that she did have sex with someone else, however, and so it stands to reason that this was not consensual.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

E's Lil Theorem
Mac Elite
Sep 2, 2004, 03:16 PM

Originally posted by Millennium:
The man deserved a fair trial. This doesn't qualify, and so I'm glad to see it dropped, but I hope it will be picked up again later so that the truth might be known, whichever way it happens to be.
That won't happen as the prosecution agreed not to pick up the case at a later time. If there's a civil trial, we might find out a few more things.

In dismissing the case Wednesday, Ruckriegle lamented that many questions about what happened in Bryant's hotel room might not be answered.

"It will, of course, always leave a question in the minds of everyone," the judge said. "Several jurors have stated that only two people know what happened."
LA Times story.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Sep 2, 2004, 03:19 PM

The man deserved a fair trial. This doesn't qualify, and so I'm glad to see it dropped, but I hope it will be picked up again later so that the truth might be known.
Criminal charges can't be filed again. Ever.

Zimphire, how do you know she had sex with someone after? Has that been proved?

hardcat1970
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 2, 2004, 06:45 PM

the case was a mess in the beginning and the prosecutors really have no case.

when a rape case is filed, it is always the women get the benefit of the doubt.

Zimphire
Baninated
Sep 2, 2004, 07:36 PM

Go read Mill's post.

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 2, 2004, 07:42 PM

She will get him in Civil court just as William Kennedy Smith will. The money and high priced lawyers don't help as much.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Sep 2, 2004, 08:18 PM

I had been under the impression that this was considered a mistrial, in which case the charges could be brought again.

[EDIT: Apparently, I was mistaken on the mistrial score. My bad.]
The rape exam did find sperm, but it didn't belong to Bryant; it belonged to someone else. Unless I'm mistaken, this other person was never found, but I find it rather difficult to believe that Bryant put it there himself, and no one ever mentioned another person involved in her encounter with Bryant.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Zimphire
Baninated
Sep 2, 2004, 08:21 PM

The rape exam did find sperm, but it didn't belong to Bryant; it belonged to someone else. Unless I'm mistaken, this other person was never found, but I find it rather difficult to believe that Bryant put it there himself, and no one ever mentioned another person involved in her encounter with Bryant.
Maybe Bryant is just REAL SNEAKY.

scottiB  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 2, 2004, 08:28 PM

No. Didn't you watch the Finals? Kobe doesn't pass.
I am stupidest when I try to be funny.

Chinasaur
Senior User
Sep 2, 2004, 08:28 PM

1. Anonymity shields are in place to protect victims..the Judge outed her in a grotesque miscarriage of justice by releasing information about her contrary to Colorado law.

2. He states "she did not feel she consented" which means it was rape to her.
iMac - Late 2015 iMac, 32GB RAM
MacBook - 2010 MacBook, 1TB SSD, 16GB RAM

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Sep 2, 2004, 08:52 PM

My god you are on a roll today. You state your theories as if they were fact and then you feel others should have to prove theirs to you? I don't know if she was raped but I do know that she was in a mentally unstable state immediately before that event which means it puts serious doubt on her ability to be credible in her accusations.
The prosecution never had much of case and despite the botched investigation there was never enough evidence to substantiate her claims. On top of that her behavior immediately following the alleged event was not consistent with the pattern of behavior of rape victims. What is going to be really damaging is not the theory that she had sex after being with Bryant but rather the details of her communications with her friends after the event. From the sounds of if and the alluded to details what she told others about the encounter is what is going to damn her. Even with the lower burden of proof in a civil trial her case is flimsy. Any semi competent attorney would be able to successfully defend someone in Bryant's situation given all the questionable evidence.
Also that quote was part of a settlement that was more beneficial to her since it saved her from being ripped apart by the defense. If you had a clue, which you don't, you'd have read up a little more into the background of how that letter came into existence and what it actually amounts to in terms of culpability. It was crafted by both teams to allow the woman to save face and for Bryant to show remorse for his illicit behavior. It does not say he raped her and in no way is it an admission of guilt. But then again it might and only really smart guys like you can decipher the secret meaning of the letter.

Originally posted by wdlove:
She will get him in Civil court just as William Kennedy Smith will. The money and high priced lawyers don't help as much.
Lawyers always help. May your god save you if you are ever sued or want to sue and don't want the best attorney money can buy next to you.
The only lawyer who is to blame here is the DA who should have looked into the case before he went ahead with the charges. But he probably thought it was a good idea for his career to prosecute such a high profile celebrity. My guess is that if this had been some guy off the street the DA would have looked at the evidence and realized he wouldn't have had enough for a conviction and maybe have gone with lesser charges or even dropped the prosecution altogether.

Originally posted by Chinasaur:
1. Anonymity shields are in place to protect victims..the Judge outed her in a grotesque miscarriage of justice by releasing information about her contrary to Colorado law.
Do you even know what that means? Maybe you shouldn't use words you saw on TV unless you know the right moment to fit them into your statements. The fact that her name had been leaked within a month of the story breaking and photos of her had been published by the press takes away most of the repercussions of the mistake the clerk in Colorado made. As a result it had very little bearing on the case.

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

Forum Links
Forum Rules