Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Mac OS X web site

Mac OS X web site
bradoesch
Professional Poster
May 31, 2001, 06:44 PM

Hello everyone,

I did a project in school about Mac OS X (made a web page). Even though my teacher would have no idea if it's right or not (he's not a Mac person), I want it to be all correct. SO, if you care to check it out, and perhaps let me know if some of the information is wrong or something, that'd be cool. Oh, I have another page about the history of Apple, if you're interested in commenting as well.
Just so you know, I'm not at all asking people to "do my homework" so I get good marks, etc. The teacher won't no the difference if I say OS X will boot in 0.5 secs or whatever. I'm just curious to see how well I got things...
Thanks.
Please don't yell at me if you're not interested at all. http://www.geocities.com/shift_45/macosx/ http://www.geocities.com/brad_oesch

starfleetX
Mac Elite
May 31, 2001, 07:05 PM

From one Brad to another, I'll say they look okay. A few of your claims are a little off, but not enough to really matter if the teacher isn't checking for accuracy. For what class did you make these and at what level of education?

Also, did you mean to use <strike> through "The Lisa" on your history page? And why on earth do you have a javascript alert saying that the history page won't work with Internet Explorer?

LOL, and I don't believe Apple's stock has been at $130 since, IIRC, May of 2000.
edit: I just realized that the whole history page is a bit out of date anyway, but I'd still at least correct that glaring mistake if you are to submit that page to the teacher as well.

------------------

[This message has been edited by starfleetX (edited 05-31-2001).]
The server made a boo boo. (403)

bradoesch  (op)
Professional Poster
May 31, 2001, 11:38 PM

As part of the requirements, we had to use different styles on the type faces (bold, italtic, etc.), so I used strike through just cuz. I guess because the Lisa was the unfortunate computer to get it! Oh, the page wouldn't render correct in IE 4, and since that's what the teacher would have likely been using, I put that in there. It wouldn't work for me, at least. Worked fine in Netscape, though.
Hehe, yes, I made a few off claims. More of a little joke, since I'm such a Mac lover, and the teacher knows it, and doesn't share my oppinion!
The Apple history page was made last year (gr 11), and the OS X was built last week (gr 12). It's a computer "programming" course (gr 11 level). It's pretty blah, since all we've done is some JavaScript, and a bit of work with Visual Basic. Other than that, just made some little slideshows and web pages. On (ick) PeeCee's. Ewwwwww. But, the education system is pretty screwed up, so PCs are the screwed up choice!

------------------
Why 1984, won't be
like "1984"

dtriska
Mac Elite
Jun 1, 2001, 12:34 AM

I checked out the OS X page, and I have the same opinion as starfleetX; some claims are exaggerated, but nothing too far out. For instance, "[Preemptive multitasting] allows multiple applications to share processor time." I don't think processor time is shared, but priority is given to what the user is doing at all times, which reduces lag time and overall sluggishness for the user.

Protected memory: "you'll only need to restart to use the application again." I don't need to restart to use a crashed app again. I simply relaunch the app.

SMP: "[Under OS X], ALL applications can take advantage of having two processors." While they all can, not all will.

That last one is a bit picky, but otherwise, the page looks good. Good luck with the teacher.

penfold
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 1, 2001, 05:29 AM

Originally posted by bradoesch:
Hello everyone,

I did a project in school about Mac OS X (made a web page). Even though my teacher would have no idea if it's right or not (he's not a Mac person), I want it to be all correct. SO, if you care to check it out, and perhaps let me know if some of the information is wrong or something, that'd be cool. Oh, I have another page about the history of Apple, if you're interested in commenting as well.
Just so you know, I'm not at all asking people to "do my homework" so I get good marks, etc. The teacher won't no the difference if I say OS X will boot in 0.5 secs or whatever. I'm just curious to see how well I got things...
Thanks.
Please don't yell at me if you're not interested at all. http://www.geocities.com/shift_45/macosx/ http://www.geocities.com/brad_oesch
Preemptive multitasting? Mmmm! ;-)

------------------
--------------------------------
You're crazy - you think you're going to change this silly little world... better see yourself a shrink
----------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------
You're crazy - you think you're going to change this silly little world... better see yourself a shrink
----------------------------------------------------------------

bradoesch  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 2, 2001, 02:14 AM

Thanks for the feedback. At least nothing I've written is WAY far off.
Well, this teacher has never heard of FireWire before, so I think I'm safe! I was so surprised when he had no idea what I was talking about. Here I am tranferring video from a digital camcorder at home, and the TEACHER doens't know what FireWire is. Hahaha, oh well. I'll get a good mark! Thanks!

------------------
Why 1984, won't be
like "1984"

juanvaldes
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 2, 2001, 03:38 AM

Originally posted by bradoesch:
Thanks for the feedback. At least nothing I've written is WAY far off.
Well, this teacher has never heard of FireWire before, so I think I'm safe! I was so surprised when he had no idea what I was talking about. Here I am tranferring video from a digital camcorder at home, and the TEACHER doens't know what FireWire is. Hahaha, oh well. I'll get a good mark! Thanks!
Does he know what IEEE 1394 is?

------------------
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive.
- Thomas Jefferson, 1787

juanvaldes
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 2, 2001, 05:01 AM

damn, dp....

[This message has been edited by juanvaldes (edited 06-02-2001).]
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive.
- Thomas Jefferson, 1787

bradoesch  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 3, 2001, 11:39 AM

Nope, huge confused facial expression when I said, "FireWire". I could have asked hm if he knew what "i.Link" or "IEEE 1394" is, but I would have just looked dumb since he wouldn't have known what they are. He's a PeeCee guy. Education is probably from when he was in Univeristy (not too long ago, he's very young). But sitll, being a teacher, wouldn't they keep up with the latest technology out of interest? That's how I know about FireWire. Well, the computers in our room don't even have USB (some of them do now). They're just stupid Pentium 200s. Pieces of crap, even when they were current.

Forum Links
Forum Rules