Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Broken Black Apple Pro Mouse

Broken Black Apple Pro Mouse
kick52
Baninated
May 27, 2006, 11:54 AM

hi, all.

just when i got os x tiger yesterday, my apple mouse started cutting out in the morning. i thought nothing of it and maybe it was just an application or something. i didnt realise it was a hardware problem.

through the day it got worse and eventually, didnt work at all. the optical light stayed out. but, when i plug it in, the light will flash 3 times and go dead. if i wiggle the cable around, it will flash 3 more times and die.

if i wrap the part of the table nearest to the mouse to the bottum with a bit of force, it lights up somethimes dim but sometimes full blast but as soon as put the cable back to its normal position, it goes out.

i seached for apple pro mouse repair, but this involed sawing bits off and snaping things.

any help?

i dont want to buy a new mouse, but if i did i'd get a black apple pro. how much would these cost?

kick52

tooki
Admin Emeritus
May 27, 2006, 01:01 PM

You're probably experiencing the usual problem of the wire breaking where it enters the mouse.

The Pro Mouse (in any color) hasn't been sold for a few years. You're looking at eBay. FWIW, they were $49 new in the U.S.

tooki

kick52  (op)
Baninated
May 27, 2006, 02:57 PM

yer i meant ebay. seems i could get one for less than $20 on ebay. the thing is, how long is that one gonna last? i would be good if i could get a new apple mouse (perhaps MM?) but white ones just dont go with my graphite keyboard and G4. any suggestions? good 3rd party mice?

Dr.Michael
May 30, 2006, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by kick52
yer i meant ebay. seems i could get one for less than $20 on ebay. the thing is, how long is that one gonna last? i would be good if i could get a new apple mouse (perhaps MM?) but white ones just dont go with my graphite keyboard and G4. any suggestions? good 3rd party mice?
Visit the next hardware store, buy a new usb cable for a few cents and thats it. Maybe you can also cut away the broken part and use the old one (I know it is short). To open the mouse and find out how to connect the cable is easy.
Ahem, I sold my pro mouse long ago, does it have a screw to open it?

kick52  (op)
Baninated
Jun 1, 2006, 03:15 PM

no, theres no screw.

also, i dont have any hardware stores like that anywhere near here. also, to open up the mouse, you have to break parts and saw things off, which im not bothered to do.

©öñFü$íóÑ
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 1, 2006, 03:27 PM

Logitech.... 'nuff said

......ah alright..... anything newer than the MX 310 should suit your needs nicely.

tillin
Jun 1, 2006, 04:06 PM

there are a few on ebay right now.

one is $15 another is $10

http://cgi.ebay.com/Apple-Pro-Mouse-...QQcmdZViewItem

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 2, 2006, 09:53 AM

Logitech. Bad in Black.

ice

siMac
Mac Elite
Jun 2, 2006, 11:09 AM

I tried a Logitech mouse a couple of months ago. I had to install a prefpane to get full functionality from it and that prefpane was a true POS. I took it back and got a Mighty Mouse.
|\|0\/\/ 15 7|-|3 71|\/|3

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 3, 2006, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by siMac
I tried a Logitech mouse a couple of months ago. I had to install a prefpane to get full functionality from it and that prefpane was a true POS. I took it back and got a Mighty Mouse.

Those in the know use USB Overdrive. Logitech mice rock. Never used that software, doesn't sound too good.

USB Overdrive

ice

shabbasuraj
Mac Elite
Jul 23, 2006, 03:13 AM

Kensington software rocks...
blabba5555555555555555555555555555555555555

iREZ
Professional Poster
Jul 23, 2006, 04:36 AM

get a mighty mouse, go into your system pref and make sure the second, third and fourth buttons are turned off and you have yourself a one button apple mouse again. thats how i set it for my coworkers until they finally got used to multibutton mice.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

Forum Links
Forum Rules