Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Stupid Hotmail!

Stupid Hotmail!
kick52
Baninated
Jun 25, 2006, 02:14 PM

Hi.

I have MSN Messenger 5.1.1. When it says i have new mail, i click on the mail button and it follows a really long link in Safari. This changes to various addresses and the progress bar never gets past "http:/" It changes to hotmail.msn.com to login.live, you know, hotmail kind of addresses. Its really really annoying. I tried IE, but it just crashed. nothing unusual there. to get to my mail, i have to go to passport.com, login, and select mail from the top.

any one else got this?

kick52

nbnz
Senior User
Jun 25, 2006, 04:29 PM

hmm, I just tried the same and I got the same problem. I haven't seen it before because I use Adium (in stead of MSN Messegner) and Firefox (in stead of Safari).

MSN Messenger with Firefox works correctly.
iMac, Intel Core-Duo 2GHz, 2GB, 250GB, OS X 10.4
PowerBook 12", 867MHz, 640MB, 60GB, OS X 10.4
iMac G3, 333MHz, 288MB, 6GB, OS X 10.3
iPods: 3G iPod, 1G mini, 1G shuffle, 2G nano

nbnz
Senior User
Jun 25, 2006, 04:30 PM

Hey, just noticed you've got the same classic iMac as mine.
iMac, Intel Core-Duo 2GHz, 2GB, 250GB, OS X 10.4
PowerBook 12", 867MHz, 640MB, 60GB, OS X 10.4
iMac G3, 333MHz, 288MB, 6GB, OS X 10.3
iPods: 3G iPod, 1G mini, 1G shuffle, 2G nano

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 25, 2006, 05:01 PM

Safari sometimes doesn't get along with Hotmail-it's Microsoft's thing, you know, and they don't code their pages to comply with standards. That means that Safari is often not going to do what you want.

Now one thing I do know about this is that Microsoft is "trying to prevent illicit use of Hotmail," and to that end they're trying to ensure that people who log in are who they say they are, thus the passport.com login.

All that aside, it sounds like you have had your Mac's DNS cache hijacked. That means that somehow the listing your Mac uses to quickly obtain a real IP address from the URL has had the Hotmail entry changed. That's a bad thing, but it's fixable. Here's how:
Open Terminal
Enter "lookupd -flushcache" (without the quotes)
Press Return (enter)

You should do this and then log off to make sure it gets done correctly.

If it's a stupid Microsoft thing, flushing the DNS cache won't hurt a thing. If not, this should fix the issue.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Jun 25, 2006, 05:15 PM

You have also got to remember that hotmail is switching from "Hotmail' to Windows Live Mail. With all sorts of "Web 2.0" style programming to make it behave more like an application and less like a web page with right click menus and the ability to drag and drop messages in to the folders. Although a 'Classic' view should remain available. for users of browsers (such as Safari) that dont support the features.

-Q-
Jun 26, 2006, 12:25 AM

I have the same thing happen to me and I can't say it's all on Microsoft as Firefox supports the Windows Live features just fine and doesn't give me login problems either. Not sure what it is they're doing, but Safari sure doesn't like it.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jun 26, 2006, 03:14 AM

I have got the same thing for the last few weeks, with the link looping around a few different pages then giving up. Its annoying having to log in through the My MSN page. Until I read this I didn't realise it was to do with Safari, but I did find it strange that I could read Hotmail on my PSP and not on the Mac!!

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

chrisford
Forum Regular
Jun 27, 2006, 06:02 PM

Exactly the same problem here - been happening for some time now. Weirdly, if I get two alerts from Messenger (one for Inbox and for - say - new mail in the spam folder) clicking both alerts will make Hotmail load - in one tab only.

Very strange, but 100% repeatable. I'm on 10.4.6 on a 12: 1gHz Powerbook. Hotmail is fine in Firefox, but snarfs with Safari.

cf

dru
Senior User
Jun 28, 2006, 04:07 AM

Originally Posted by kick52
any one else got this?
I've seen this for weeks. If you use Firefox, Camino, IE... other browsers work fine but since MS changed their site, Safari does not.

I would suggest everyone go to the Safari menu and click "Report a Bug to Apple" since the site works with the other browsers and not Safari (or OmniWeb which also uses webkit).
20" iMac C2D/2.4GHz 3GB RAM 10.6.8 (10H549)

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 28, 2006, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by dru
I've seen this for weeks. If you use Firefox, Camino, IE... other browsers work fine but since MS changed their site, Safari does not.

I would suggest everyone go to the Safari menu and click "Report a Bug to Apple" since the site works with the other browsers and not Safari (or OmniWeb which also uses webkit).
It is NOT a problem with Safari. Not at all. It's a problem with the bloody site. Complain to Microsoft for not coding their site to W3C standards-doing that would fix this problem.

kick52  (op)
Baninated
Jun 28, 2006, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by nbnz
Hey, just noticed you've got the same classic iMac as mine.
i dont use my imac. it freezes every minute and wont install os x. i use my PMG4

dru
Senior User
Jun 29, 2006, 12:17 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter
It is NOT a problem with Safari. Not at all. It's a problem with the bloody site. Complain to Microsoft for not coding their site to W3C standards-doing that would fix this problem.
I disagree. Complain to APPLE. Safari and other webkit-based browsers are the only ones failing.

If we report the 'bug' to Apple, and it isn't a Safari code issue, they can take it to Microsoft who tell Mac users to use Safari on their site.
20" iMac C2D/2.4GHz 3GB RAM 10.6.8 (10H549)

kick52  (op)
Baninated
Jul 1, 2006, 04:54 PM

meh. i did what ghporter did and it works now. thanks!

kick52  (op)
Baninated
Jul 1, 2006, 05:14 PM

no, wait, it hasnt worked.

it got me on to the password thing, and then bounces around the net.

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 1, 2006, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by dru
I disagree. Complain to APPLE. Safari and other webkit-based browsers are the only ones failing.

If we report the 'bug' to Apple, and it isn't a Safari code issue, they can take it to Microsoft who tell Mac users to use Safari on their site.
Why ask Apple to conform to Microsoft's bad coding? I don't think that's a good idea-it's Microsoft that's failing to implement WORLD WIDE standards. Safari is about as compliant as you can get, but doesn't offer "extensions" that let it process MS crap code. I don't see this as a problem for Apple, but rather a problem for Microsoft.

Forum Links
Forum Rules