Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Dodgy iBook screen (Perhaps)

Dodgy iBook screen (Perhaps)
kick52
Baninated
Mar 5, 2007, 03:23 PM

Hi.

I noticed that if my iBook's screen gets pushed up against something it will flicker slightly, it also happens when i open the lid sometimes.

If it does entirly stop working, can i just replace (what seems to be the faulty) cable?
Would it cost much to be repaired by the Apple Store?
Is it quite serious?

Thanks.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Mar 10, 2007, 04:49 PM

Whats flickering? Is it the backlight or do the graphics just go a bit screwy for a sec? There is a small chance it could be the LCD panel itself, but it is much more likely to be a cable as you suggest. Question is which one? If the graphics are messing up, its the display data cable or LVDS cable. Cheap to buy but the labour cost is nasty as you have to take alot of the unit to bits. Most places will charge two hours for this. The same is true of the inverter cable since it too runs through the hinge.

kick52  (op)
Baninated
Mar 10, 2007, 05:41 PM

i havent seen any flickering since, and i found out it only happens at a 90ish degree angle.

so nm i suppose.

GlassOgnion
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 11, 2007, 03:40 PM

Seems to be the reed switch cable that is almost broken because compressed in the right LCD display hinge. $30 part but 2 hours repair job (LCD display must be taken apart to replace the cable assembly).

Forum Links
Forum Rules