Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > So Apparently the Apple TV supports 480i...

So Apparently the Apple TV supports 480i...
brokenjago
Mac Elite
Mar 23, 2007, 09:36 PM

But only over a Component connection.

It will also work fine on square TVs, so those of us (like me) who were lamenting on how we couldn't use the AppleTV with our current sets can rejoice!

My dad is always bugging me about watching movies on the TV that I've ripped (he's so anal about scratching discs,) so perhaps I'll pick one up!

Any thoughts?
Linkinus is king.

brokenjago  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 24, 2007, 02:54 PM

No one cares what I have to say....

Linkinus is king.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 24, 2007, 03:31 PM

This is good news. Having said that, the million dollar question is how does the interface look on a 4:3 SDTV? I imagine the video content from the ITS will be fine since it is 640 x 480 which essentially matches an SDTV. However, it appears that the UI for the Apple TV is designed for widescreen TVs. And I have yet to see a setting for it to specify whether your TV is 4:3 or 16:9. So I would think the 16:9 UI would be "squished" horizontally to fit on the screen as opposed to being letter-boxed. That is, it would be "tall and skinny". This is certainly not ideal, but it may not be too bad. I would love to see a screen shot of it to see for myself before I run out and grab one. Then again, I might just head down to the Apple Store and cop one to see for myself if I'm not able to hold out much longer.

OAW

brokenjago  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 24, 2007, 07:08 PM

I'm thinking of picking one up from Fry's, because they have no restocking fee and their return policy is insanely lenient.

I would hope that they'd have the sense to put black bars on the top and bottom if they noticed it was a 4:3 television. I would expect nothing less from Apple. That being said, they DO state, as you said, that a 16:9 screen is required, so they may not have bothered.

Also, they have demo units on display at most Apple stores now, so you can just head on down to one and see if they do, in fact, have options for 4:3 TVs.
( Last edited by brokenjago; Mar 24, 2007 at 07:21 PM. )
Linkinus is king.

ecking01
Forum Regular
Mar 25, 2007, 01:54 PM

To my knowledge the 4:3 tv has to have some sort of mock widescreen mode. A lot of 4:3 tvs that have component inputs have one. Both mine and my cousin's set does.

Then what will happen is you choose 480i in the menu and your tv does the rest as far as adjustments go.

brokenjago  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 25, 2007, 04:59 PM

Yeah, my TV has one of those modes.

Quite annoying actually, but what can you do.
Linkinus is king.

Forum Links
Forum Rules