Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Anybody figure out how to turn off the transparent menu bar?

Anybody figure out how to turn off the transparent menu bar?
EricTheRed
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 27, 2007, 06:46 PM

Anybody figure out how to turn off the transparent menu bar? Black on white is easer to see and work with than black on transparent. General controls should have an on off button instead of you can run it, so its on. Woot, woot!

Colonel Panic
Senior User
Oct 27, 2007, 06:57 PM

View it as an opportunity - you can make the menu bar any color you want. Just photoshop a ~20 pixel stripe of the color of your choice adjusting for the transparency effect at the top of the desktop pix you want to use and voila. White stripe it, white menu bar, black stripe it, dark gray menu bar, cherry red stripe, cherry red menu bar, whatever.

Kind of a hassle but I'm sure there'll be some photoshop action that someone puts it together to make this happen.

I know this is far from ideal, but workable.
( Last edited by Colonel Panic; Oct 27, 2007 at 07:10 PM. )

EricTheRed  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 27, 2007, 08:57 PM

although I did find a little application (Non-Transparent Menu Bar.app), I'm looking for something I can hammer into the Terminal along the lines of,

Murder death killall transparency

Makeitso

kilechki
Forum Regular
Oct 27, 2007, 09:44 PM

Well, I'm looking for a way to have it transparent... On my G4 12", it was translucent with a beta I tried, but it's now completely opaque.

There has to be a pref for this somewhere.

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Oct 27, 2007, 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by kilechki View Post
Well, I'm looking for a way to have it transparent... On my G4 12", it was translucent with a beta I tried, but it's now completely opaque.

There has to be a pref for this somewhere.
again (as in the other thread), am with u. 12" 1.5 as well, and no transparency on the menu bar.

damn!
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

gradient
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2007, 11:31 PM

With all the people disappointed in one way or another, either not having having transparency and wanting it or having it and not wanting it, you have to figure 10.5.1 will include a pref to switch it on/off.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 28, 2007, 12:17 AM

LeoColorBar

It works well enough. Choose a desktop picture, color for your menubar and then it makes you a new Desktop Picture.

I made the menubar white and I prefer it transparent.

Forum Links
Forum Rules