Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Have you encrypted your iPhone? How safe is the built into password prompt?

Have you encrypted your iPhone? How safe is the built into password prompt?
Eug
Clinically Insane
Jul 15, 2008, 12:01 AM

I'm using the passcode thingy, but somehow it doesn't seem all that safe. Is it? Is there any other way to protect the data on the thing, without jumping through a zillion hoops?

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 15, 2008, 07:32 AM

What do you mean, 'seems'? Is there a way to bypass the passcode? Otherwise, a four digit pass is about as safe as your debit card.

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jul 15, 2008, 09:49 AM

That's what I'm asking. I remember on old PDAs, they used to warn that the passcode method wasn't necessarily safe, depending on how it was implemented. ie. If they got a hold of your phone, they could access the data by other means.

Maybe I'm just being paranoid, but I'm wondering.

I guess what I'm asking is... Is the only way for someone to gain access to your iPhone for usage is to wipe it completely? If so, that doesn't bother me. However, I don't want someone accessing my IMAP mail account or whatever.

greenG4
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 15, 2008, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by Mastrap View Post
What do you mean, 'seems'? Is there a way to bypass the passcode? Otherwise, a four digit pass is about as safe as your debit card.
I'm think he's asking if enabling the PIN on the iPhone automatically encrypts data. I'm guessing no.
<Witty comment here>
www.healthwebit.com

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Jul 15, 2008, 01:19 PM

If its anything like my blackberry, it just prevents access to the device, there's no encryption going on. I would assume the overhead to constantly encrypt/decrypt would be too much as well.

kikkoman
Senior User
Jul 15, 2008, 02:37 PM

No encryption on the iPhone. However, you can use the iphone web configuration utility to create a stronger password that is longer and uses numbers, letters and other characters.

greenG4
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 15, 2008, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by kikkoman View Post
No encryption on the iPhone. However, you can use the iphone web configuration utility to create a stronger password that is longer and uses numbers, letters and other characters.
http://www.apple.com/support/downloa...y10formac.html
<Witty comment here>
www.healthwebit.com

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 27, 2008, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
I guess what I'm asking is... Is the only way for someone to gain access to your iPhone for usage is to wipe it completely? If so, that doesn't bother me. However, I don't want someone accessing my IMAP mail account or whatever.
iPhone 2.x vulnerable to easy passcode hack

Simply by selecting Emergency Call and double-tapping the Home button, iPhone users can bring up a favorite contacts list, displaying phone numbers, e-mail addresses and websites. From here it is possible to launch most major iPhone functions, including Mail, SMS, Google Maps and the Safari web browser.

The issue is said to be particularly troublesome because it was previously fixed in the v1.1.3 firmware, having been identified as a known bug by the time of v1.1.2. The only known fix for v2.x is to remove any sensitive favorites.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Aug 27, 2008, 04:00 PM

Yawn. As long as you have double-tap set to something else than iPhone favorites you're fine. For favorites it will be fixed with the next update.

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 27, 2008, 04:04 PM

Well, I had mine set to iPhone favourites, as probably most people do, since that's the default.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Aug 27, 2008, 04:13 PM

I switched it to iPod on day one.

mkerr64
Senior User
Aug 27, 2008, 11:39 PM

R.I.P Steve Jobs

Forum Links
Forum Rules