Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Keynote Fluff

Keynote Fluff
scottiB
Professional Poster
Jul 18, 2001, 03:06 PM

It's not the hardware offerings that bothered me so much; it's the filler. When Steve made the "10 on OS X" intro with all the demos, I felt this was going to be a looong keynote.

Replays of OLD commercials? Replays of Apple Store videos? I was watching it on TechTV, went to the bathroom and missed the iMac upgrades--not that I missed much.

Chip design 101---they were fishing.

Sorry a bit incoherent, but I'm sure y'all know what I mean.

Still not as bad as the G4 speed downgrade.

And my girlfriend and I are buying the dual-800.

suckered-by-rumors-scottiB
I am stupidest when I try to be funny.

mrfrost
Mac Elite
Jul 18, 2001, 03:30 PM

Could have been worse !
I didn't think it was that bad...but in the last couple of years I have really learned NOT to get my hopes up.
Anyway...Office X was the only surprise for me , I thought it was going to take 'till the end of the year to get that one out.

Good luck to you and your gf with the DP800

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 18, 2001, 03:32 PM

i was unimpressed with the presentation. the "10 on X" was kinda boring, and true the chip design 101 was such a bad idea.
-they should have shipped 10.1 end of july of latest mid august.
-the new iMac was a big disappointment...except for the fact that they did away with blue dalmatian and flower power. maybe if they included a Combo drive AT LEAST on the high end, it would have been acceptable.
-the new Powermac...looks great, i like the drive bays. was disappointed that the low end did not have a ComboDrive in its standard configuration.(not to mention the rather high $1699)..
-the displays should have come down by at least $100.
-portables, was hoping for a combo titanium.
-the keynote had too much iDVD, too many commercials.

did anyone notice Steve getting so pissed on stage ? especially with the camera and burning on X ?

MacmanX
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 18, 2001, 03:46 PM

On the subject of TechTV, do they actually hope to pass themselves off as some sort of journalistic outlet? Not only did they run commentary right over the keynote, almost everything that came out of the commentators' mouthes was wrong. They couldn't even get the title right. Steve Jobs was not giving the "Keynote Expo"!

Also, after the 867 G4 smoked the PC they kept saying, "of course, we don't know if the machines have the same hard drive or RAM." Well, they would have known if they had been listening to the Keynote. Then they said that Steve and Phill only "BenchMarketed" (their word) one programme doing things that most people don't do. I suppose they missed something. I saw two programmes and two things that I have done.

Then, after the DVD programme crashed they made a comment about how Steve Jobs can't give a speech without a crash. First, he was running a programme that won't be released for two months on a system build that won't be released for two months. Second, it is funny how easily it re-launched without taking an unfinished system build down with it. I suppose they missed the irony. Must have been re-booting their PCs after IE crashed and missed the point.

Finally, since when has Apple "missed the boat" by not delivering on a wild rumor that was usually followed by "when pigs fly"? I'm talking about none other than Apple HandHelds which TechTV "really expected" to be un-vailed at the Keynote. Even rumor sites like "As the Apple Turns" knew that was a pipe dream. Apparently, when faced with a total lack of facts, instead of working to find facts TechTV turns to the least reputable source for rumors and then tut-tuts when Apple doesn't live up to them. If this is journalism, I'm packing my bags for Siberia now.

On another note, I liked most of the 10 on X. I was thrilled to see the Quark demonstration. Also, I got a little pleasure when the commentators pointed out that Office X had features that the PC world has been looking for for years.

I thought the "Megahertz Myth" presentation was a little pointless. I was also not that impressed with the rehashed ads. The iDVD presentation was mildly interesting but nothing worth the "one more thing" lead in it got.

The part at the end where Steve Jobs listed all the great accomplishments Apple had made so far this year was really good. They have released a lot. And, now that they have promised to release things at other events, perhaps the MacWorld Keynotes will lack a little luster. I kept thinking to myself, "What would the headlines be if Apple released the iBook 2 at the Expo?" I suppose that is the price we pay for a more dynamic company.

Cheers!

[ 07-18-2001: Message edited by: MacmanX ]
Satellite deployment by:
Ace Moving Co.

scottiB  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 18, 2001, 03:51 PM

Sorry 'bout the last post; I was running around at work and typing a sentence where I could. Just the feel seemed like "we want to be able to fill 2 hours because this keynote needs to be that long because we wanted to show you all a bunch of cool stuff, but it's not quite ready...." Cue the demo parade!

Regarding the tossing digital camera: I think Steve tossed it, and the guy dropped it. That said, there is really no excuse for (1) not having the camera's batteries charged or (2)having a duplicate back-up on hand offstage. Snafus happen all the time.

With the DVD player, it actually showed the stability of OS X. He fired it right up and continued.
I am stupidest when I try to be funny.

gyc
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 18, 2001, 04:21 PM

Hmmm... my favorite part of the keynote was the little speech by Rubinstein.

Timo
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 18, 2001, 05:00 PM

Originally posted by gyc:
Hmmm... my favorite part of the keynote was the little speech by Rubinstein.
Me too. Everyone else (everyone) needs public speaking courses. T

blackbird_1.0
Mac Elite
Jul 19, 2001, 12:17 AM

jim louderback from techtv must atone for his sins. yea, he has insulted the immortal iCeo steven jobs, he must repent

he will feel the wrath of the 4 macs of the apocalypse, imac, ibook, powerbook, and powermac....

[ 07-19-2001: Message edited by: blackbird_1.0 ]
Apple II GS | Powerbook 165 | iMac Rev. A 96mb RAM| iBook G3 500mhz, 128mb RAM | Power Macintosh G5 1.6ghz, 2.25gb RAM | Black MacBook 2ghz, 2gb RAM | iPhone Rev. A 8gb HD

Forum Links
Forum Rules