Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Ted Koppel or Mister Rogers

View Poll Results: Whom do you trust?
Poll Options:
Ted Koppel 2 votes (8.00%)
Fred "Mister" Rogers 23 votes (92.00%)
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll
Ted Koppel or Mister Rogers
Thread Tools
BasketofPuppies
Professional Poster
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Chicago
Status: Offline
Mar 16, 2007, 08:42 PM
 
My last thread was hijacked, but I can make some use of that.
inscrutable impenetrable impregnable inconceivable
     
marden
Baninated
Join Date: Sep 2005
Status: Offline
Mar 16, 2007, 08:47 PM
 
Originally Posted by BasketofPuppies View Post
My last thread was hijacked, but I can make some use of that.
I voted for Mr. Rogers.
     
blackbird_1.0
Mac Elite
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Aiken, South Carolina, USA
Status: Offline
Mar 16, 2007, 09:21 PM
 
Mister Rogers.
Apple II GS | Powerbook 165 | iMac Rev. A 96mb RAM| iBook G3 500mhz, 128mb RAM | Power Macintosh G5 1.6ghz, 2.25gb RAM | Black MacBook 2ghz, 2gb RAM | iPhone Rev. A 8gb HD
     
d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Far above Cayuga's waters.
Status: Offline
Mar 16, 2007, 10:15 PM
 
peewee herman.
     
highstakes
Senior User
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Illinois
Status: Offline
Mar 16, 2007, 10:53 PM
 
Mista Rogers !
     
design219
Professional Poster
Join Date: Oct 2004
Status: Offline
Mar 16, 2007, 11:00 PM
 
I think the dead will always have an advantage in a poll. I'll predict Mr. Rogers by a landslide!
__________________________________________________

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.
Was free. Now it's gone. Never to be seen again.
Off to join its brother and sister apps that could not
keep up with the ever updating iOS. RIP Nesen Probe.
     
zro
Mac Elite
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: The back of the room
Status: Offline
Mar 16, 2007, 11:21 PM
 
Dead has nothing to do with it. I say Mister Rogers would beat Jim Henson in a poll.

Go Mister Rogers!
     
Northeastern292
Forum Regular
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Brushton, New York (middle of nowhere)
Status: Offline
Mar 16, 2007, 11:38 PM
 
Mister Rodgers made us all feel great about ourselves. (President Bush does the opposite).
The Mac Collection:

Power Mac G4 Sawtooth at 450MHz, Power Mac G4 Gigabit Ethernet at 400MHz, three Power Mac FW800's at 1.0GHz, MacBook Pro at 2.0GHz, my late father's G3 iMac at 350MHz, an iMac at 500MHz, a PowerBook G4 (12-inch VGA) and a PowerBook 170
     
Gossamer
Professional Poster
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: "Working"
Status: Offline
Mar 16, 2007, 11:49 PM
 
Ah, this one took 8 replies to go political.
     
marden
Baninated
Join Date: Sep 2005
Status: Offline
Mar 17, 2007, 02:25 AM
 
Originally Posted by Northeastern292 View Post
Mister Rodgers made us all feel great about ourselves. (President Bush does the opposite).
I'd guess some of you make yourselves feel good without any help from Mr. Rogers or Mr. Bush. In fact, making yourselves feel good seems to be what you excel at.
     
wallinbl
Professional Poster
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: somewhere
Status: Offline
Mar 17, 2007, 08:01 AM
 
Originally Posted by Gossamer View Post
Ah, this one took 8 replies to go political.
Does Ted Koppel report on something that's not political?
     
marden
Baninated
Join Date: Sep 2005
Status: Offline
Mar 17, 2007, 09:53 AM
 
Originally Posted by wallinbl View Post
Does Ted Koppel report on something that's not political?
It seems only REAL fans of news fully appreciate that Ted was and IS a NEWSMAN whatever the news might be.

And it seems that only REAL fans of Fred Rogers realize that his title was ALWAYS spelled out, "Mister."



Since you aren't a real news fan should you be relegated to the lounge area only? No.

And because Ted Koppel reports on all sorts of news and can't be barred from the lounge will you still be able to avoid learning the truth and facing reality about the world you inhabit? Yes.

     
besson3c
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: yes
Status: Offline
Mar 17, 2007, 10:48 AM
 
Marden,

It is nothing short of astonishing how egotistical you are about thinking of your opinions as right, and therefore everybody else's as wrong. You need a large dosage of humility and probably a swift kick in the ass.

You are just a guy with an opinion, quit it with the Messiah of Truth crap. If you are really concerned about the safety of this world, you'd understand that all rigid ideologies are a danger, yours included.
     
marden
Baninated
Join Date: Sep 2005
Status: Offline
Mar 17, 2007, 11:11 AM
 
Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
Marden,

It is nothing short of astonishing how egotistical you are about thinking of your opinions as right, and therefore everybody else's as wrong. You need a large dosage of humility and probably a swift kick in the ass.

You are just a guy with an opinion, quit it with the Messiah of Truth crap. If you are really concerned about the safety of this world, you'd understand that all rigid ideologies are a danger, yours included.
He looked like he was trying to make a case to have ANY discussion involving Ted Koppel be automatically banned from the lounge on the basis that Ted was supposedly ONLY a political commentator.

I wanted him to know his little campaign would not fly.

I don't suppose you recognized his game plan, did you?

You just saw that I was wrong, huh?

Figures.
     
BasketofPuppies  (op)
Professional Poster
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Chicago
Status: Offline
Mar 17, 2007, 11:23 AM
 
Not again.
inscrutable impenetrable impregnable inconceivable
     
marden
Baninated
Join Date: Sep 2005
Status: Offline
Mar 17, 2007, 11:28 AM
 
Originally Posted by BasketofPuppies View Post
Not again.
Even though your thread topic had a limited future on it's own you'd rather it just drift off into the archives as being YOURS and unadulterated by those who brought the issue of Ted Koppel to the fore in the first place, huh? Wouldn't that be somewhat akin to your building a hot rod in your backyard and not wanting Henry Ford to drive it around the block a few times and maybe tweaking the carb for you?

But if you want me to leave your thread I will and it can just fade away on it's own and you can be a happy camper.

Just give me your decision and I'll oblige you.

     
wallinbl
Professional Poster
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: somewhere
Status: Offline
Mar 17, 2007, 11:32 AM
 
Originally Posted by marden View Post
He looked like he was trying to make a case to have ANY discussion involving Ted Koppel be automatically banned from the lounge on the basis that Ted was supposedly ONLY a political commentator.

I wanted him to know his little campaign would not fly.

I don't suppose you recognized his game plan, did you?

You just saw that I was wrong, huh?

Figures.
You're absolutely nuts. Be careful, they're coming for you soon. I hope you have completed your preparations. The upside is that when they do come for you, it will be a validation of the paranoia your friends and family have ridiculed you for.

I asked a simple question. I know nothing of Ted Koppel because I don't watch TV news.
     
marden
Baninated
Join Date: Sep 2005
Status: Offline
Mar 17, 2007, 11:49 AM
 
Originally Posted by wallinbl View Post
You're absolutely nuts. Be careful, they're coming for you soon. I hope you have completed your preparations. The upside is that when they do come for you, it will be a validation of the paranoia your friends and family have ridiculed you for.

I asked a simple question. I know nothing of Ted Koppel because I don't watch TV news.
Originally Posted by wallinbl
Does Ted Koppel report on something that's not political?
You asked a simply transparent question.

And not only don't you watch TV news you have little interest in the news because everyone in the US should know all about Ted Koppel the same way you can know things about a film without having seen it.

Have you ever seen Gone With The Wind? Even if you haven't you know Scarlett and Rhett and Clark Gable and Vivien Leigh and the fact it's set in the Civil War era South and you know the line, "frankly my dear, I don't give a damn."

You simply have more interest in Mister Rogers than the news.

     
wallinbl
Professional Poster
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: somewhere
Status: Offline
Mar 17, 2007, 12:26 PM
 
Originally Posted by marden View Post
You asked a simply transparent question.
No, it was an actual question. I've never seen a single episode of whatever news program he is on.

You simply have more interest in Mister Rogers than the news.
Are you implying that is a bad thing? There is more to learn from Mister Rogers than there is from the news. The news hasn't changed in the entirety of my life. Same crap, different day. And, according to the history books, that's what's to be expected.
     
marden
Baninated
Join Date: Sep 2005
Status: Offline
Mar 17, 2007, 12:50 PM
 
Originally Posted by wallinbl View Post
No, it was an actual question. I've never seen a single episode of whatever news program he is on.


Are you implying that is a bad thing? There is more to learn from Mister Rogers than there is from the news. The news hasn't changed in the entirety of my life. Same crap, different day. And, according to the history books, that's what's to be expected.
Then I expect you will not be offering any political opinions anytime soon and you should disqualify yourself from voting, too.
     
Railroader
Banned
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Indy.
Status: Offline
Mar 17, 2007, 12:58 PM
 
Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
Marden,

It is nothing short of astonishing how egotistical you are about thinking of your opinions as right, and therefore everybody else's as wrong. You need a large dosage of humility and probably a swift kick in the ass.

You are just a guy with an opinion, quit it with the Messiah of Truth crap. If you are really concerned about the safety of this world, you'd understand that all rigid ideologies are a danger, yours included.
Besson,

It is nothing short of astonishing how egotistical you are about thinking of your opinions as right, and therefore everybody else's as wrong. You need a large dosage of humility and probably a swift kick in the ass.

You are just a guy with an opinion, quit it with the Messiah of Truth crap. If you are really concerned about the safety of this world, you'd understand that all rigid ideologies are a danger, yours included.
     
marden
Baninated
Join Date: Sep 2005
Status: Offline
Mar 17, 2007, 01:05 PM
 
Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
Besson,

It is nothing short of astonishing how egotistical you are about thinking of your opinions as right, and therefore everybody else's as wrong. You need a large dosage of humility and probably a swift kick in the ass.

You are just a guy with an opinion, quit it with the Messiah of Truth crap. If you are really concerned about the safety of this world, you'd understand that all rigid ideologies are a danger, yours included.
Gosh, Railroader, that seems more intelligent when you write it than when besson3c did! Thanks buddy!
     
Railroader
Banned
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Indy.
Status: Offline
Mar 17, 2007, 01:29 PM
 
Originally Posted by marden View Post
Gosh, Railroader, that seems more intelligent when you write it than when besson3c did! Thanks buddy!
He is a man who lives in a fragile glass house.
     
Kevin
Baninated
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: In yer threads
Status: Offline
Mar 17, 2007, 01:31 PM
 
Originally Posted by Northeastern292 View Post
Mister Rodgers made us all feel great about ourselves. (President Bush does the opposite).
Political zealots are funny.
     
Kevin
Baninated
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: In yer threads
Status: Offline
Mar 17, 2007, 01:32 PM
 
Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
Marden,

It is nothing short of astonishing how egotistical you are about thinking of your opinions as right, and therefore everybody else's as wrong. You need a large dosage of humility and probably a swift kick in the ass.
<Pot> Hey kettle?
<Kettle> Yes Pot?
<Pot> You're black!

The reason you dislike marden so much is because you are just like him.
     
Railroader
Banned
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Indy.
Status: Offline
Mar 17, 2007, 01:48 PM
 
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
<Pot> Hey kettle?
<Kettle> Yes Pot?
<Pot> You're black!

The reason you dislike marden so much is because you are just like him.
That's not a nice thing to say about marden!
     
Kevin
Baninated
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: In yer threads
Status: Offline
Mar 17, 2007, 02:02 PM
 
Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
That's not a nice thing to say about marden!
Actions don't mean much. It's the intentions behind them.

Two people can act the same, but for different reasons.
     
Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Louisiana
Status: Offline
Mar 17, 2007, 02:04 PM
 
Question:

What good is having an opinion at all if you don't think it's right?
     
Kevin
Baninated
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: In yer threads
Status: Offline
Mar 17, 2007, 02:05 PM
 
Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
Question:

What good is having an opinion at all if you don't think it's right?
Good point.
     
wallinbl
Professional Poster
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: somewhere
Status: Offline
Mar 17, 2007, 02:14 PM
 
Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
Question:

What good is having an opinion at all if you don't think it's right?
I question my opinions all the time. You should always be willing to consider the fact that you're wrong.
     
Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Louisiana
Status: Offline
Mar 17, 2007, 02:20 PM
 
Originally Posted by wallinbl View Post
I question my opinions all the time. You should always be willing to consider the fact that you're wrong.
Of course I leave room to be corrected, but if I'm that unsure about what I'm saying, I'm just going to keep my mouth shut (which is what I usually do anyways).
     
besson3c
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: yes
Status: Offline
Mar 17, 2007, 02:23 PM
 
Marden,

In the spirit of giving, I would like to give you my loyal fan club of Kevin and Railroader to watch over your posting here. I have enough fans, I just don't have the time to give them the attention they require.

Now that you've inherited two new fans, I think I'll step down from being your fan boy. Since I've announced that I'm Ted Koppel, I think you should pool together your collective resources in worshipping my contributions as a journalist. Maybe with a little effort, you can get more votes for me in this thread, because Fred Rogers is kicking my ass!
     
Kevin
Baninated
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: In yer threads
Status: Offline
Mar 17, 2007, 02:41 PM
 
Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
Of course I leave room to be corrected, but if I'm that unsure about what I'm saying, I'm just going to keep my mouth shut (which is what I usually do anyways).
On marden's behalf, I've seen him switch his opinions if it makes sense.
     
Kevin
Baninated
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: In yer threads
Status: Offline
Mar 17, 2007, 02:41 PM
 
Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
Marden,

In the spirit of giving, I would like to give you my loyal fan club of Kevin and Railroader to watch over your posting here. I have enough fans, I just don't have the time to give them the attention they require.

Now that you've inherited two new fans, I think I'll step down from being your fan boy. Since I've announced that I'm Ted Koppel, I think you should pool together your collective resources in worshipping my contributions as a journalist. Maybe with a little effort, you can get more votes for me in this thread, because Fred Rogers is kicking my ass!
You'll always be a fanboy besson.
     
Railroader
Banned
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Indy.
Status: Offline
Mar 17, 2007, 03:17 PM
 
Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
Marden,

In the spirit of giving, I would like to give you my loyal fan club of Kevin and Railroader to watch over your posting here. I have enough fans, I just don't have the time to give them the attention they require.

Now that you've inherited two new fans, I think I'll step down from being your fan boy. Since I've announced that I'm Ted Koppel, I think you should pool together your collective resources in worshipping my contributions as a journalist. Maybe with a little effort, you can get more votes for me in this thread, because Fred Rogers is kicking my ass!
Says the guy who starts thread about me in other forums... he he. Oh, the irony.
     
Kevin
Baninated
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: In yer threads
Status: Offline
Mar 17, 2007, 03:21 PM
 
     
marden
Baninated
Join Date: Sep 2005
Status: Offline
Mar 17, 2007, 05:04 PM
 
WOW!!!

Jawbone54, Kevin & Railroader!!!

Thanks guys! Having you all backing me up is not really fair to the opposing side. That's almost like having Damon, Jeter, Sheffield and A-Rod on one team! Not that I'm complaining!

Oh, and thanks for the evidence, Kevin! besson3c's (along with an unnamed co-conspirator's) secret campaign to get to you is the 'smoking gun' we all have needed. Never again will anyone be able to point to someone and say they are paranoid when the subject of conspiracy is raised.

This is a day to remember!

Thanks, Kevin! Great work!!!

besson3c you are BUSTED!

Now we have to figure out who your weasel buddy is!
     
wallinbl
Professional Poster
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: somewhere
Status: Offline
Mar 17, 2007, 05:37 PM
 
Originally Posted by marden View Post
Thanks guys! Having you all backing me up is not really fair to the opposing side. That's almost like having Damon, Jeter, Sheffield and A-Rod on one team!
Err, A-Rod seems to be bad luck. Get him and you can't win it all.
     
marden
Baninated
Join Date: Sep 2005
Status: Offline
Mar 17, 2007, 05:54 PM
 
Originally Posted by wallinbl View Post
Err, A-Rod seems to be bad luck. Get him and you can't win it all.
If I were A-Rod and I believed that I'd 'take one for the team' in late September and get put on the DL for the ALCS or the Series.

But then again I don't believe in bowing to superstition.

The Red Sox were supposedly cursed but they 'reversed the curse' in 2004!

The Curse of the Bambino was a superstition cited, often jokingly, as a reason for the failure of the Boston Red Sox baseball team to win the World Series after they sold Babe Ruth, sometimes called The Bambino, to the New York Yankees. The flip side of the curse was New York's success—after the sale, the once-lackluster Yankees became one of the most successful franchises in North American professional sports. While some fans took the Curse seriously, most used the expression in a tongue-in-cheek manner.

Talk of the curse effectively ended in 2004, when the Red Sox came back from an 0-3 deficit to beat the Yankees in the 2004 American League Championship Series and then went on to sweep the St. Louis Cardinals to win the 2004 World Series.

It was such a part of Boston culture that when a road sign on the city's much-used Storrow Drive was vandalized from "Reverse Curve" to "Reverse The Curse", officials left it in place until after the Red Sox won the Series.
     
Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: San Diego, CA, USA
Status: Offline
Mar 17, 2007, 05:57 PM
 
Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
That's not a nice thing to say about marden!
There's nothing wrong with being black.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."
     
marden
Baninated
Join Date: Sep 2005
Status: Offline
Mar 17, 2007, 06:05 PM
 
Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
There's nothing wrong with being black.
Leave it to you to be a gadfly and bring up the race card.

Who said I was black? Are you black? No, there's nothing wrong with it. But he was saying besson3c has a hard-on for me because he sees things in me that he doesn't like in himself, silly!

I think we need to look at the similarities between the evidence found at the "besson declares war" link and what happened with the evidence pre-Iraq invasion.

We thought the Iraqis had WMD's and then we took action to prevent their not being used. But the evidence was removed. Some say it was never there and the President lied.

Well look at the evidence at besson declares war and you'll see the conspiracy, the plan and the suggestion that the evidence be destroyed!

That is exactly what the Iraqis may have done. And if Kevin hadn't so splendidly gotten the smoking gun evidence all he'd have is what President Bush has... pesky mosquitoes attacking him for doing what is right and who take advantage of the fact there is no evidence to support his side of the story!

But Kevin has better intelligence than the CIA!

Read it, you pesky mosquitoes, and then weep! Muahhhh, haa, haaa, haaa!

( Last edited by marden; Mar 17, 2007 at 06:19 PM. )
     
Railroader
Banned
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Indy.
Status: Offline
Mar 17, 2007, 06:17 PM
 
Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
There's nothing wrong with being black.
^^^^^^^^
CLUELESS!
     
marden
Baninated
Join Date: Sep 2005
Status: Offline
Mar 17, 2007, 06:19 PM
 
Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
^^^^^^^^
CLUELESS!
     
Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: San Diego, CA, USA
Status: Offline
Mar 17, 2007, 06:26 PM
 
Originally Posted by marden View Post
Leave it to you to be a gadfly and bring up the race card.

Who said I was black? Are you black? No, there's nothing wrong with it. But he was saying besson3c has a hard-on for me because he sees things in me that he doesn't like in himself, silly!
He said it was the pot calling the kettle black. Then Railroader said that wasn't very nice. So I made a joke.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."
     
marden
Baninated
Join Date: Sep 2005
Status: Offline
Mar 17, 2007, 06:34 PM
 
Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
He said it was the pot calling the kettle black. Then Railroader said that wasn't very nice. So I made a joke.
The important thing now is to figure out who "tree fiddy moon" is!
     
Gossamer
Professional Poster
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: "Working"
Status: Offline
Mar 17, 2007, 06:52 PM
 
Originally Posted by Northeastern292 View Post
Mister Rodgers made us all feel great about ourselves. (President Bush does the opposite).
Originally Posted by Gossamer View Post
Ah, this one took 8 replies to go political.
Originally Posted by wallinbl View Post
Does Ted Koppel report on something that's not political?
I wasn't referring to Koppel.
And there is a member here named "Kevin Moon" (tree fiddy moon on the other board) but he hasn't posted in the Lounge recently
     
marden
Baninated
Join Date: Sep 2005
Status: Offline
Mar 17, 2007, 06:55 PM
 
Originally Posted by Gossamer View Post
I wasn't referring to Koppel.
And there is a member here named "Kevin Moon" (tree fiddy moon on the other board) but he hasn't posted in the Lounge recently
Thanks!
     
besson3c
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: yes
Status: Offline
Mar 17, 2007, 08:35 PM
 
I always thought that Marden was Tree Fiddy Moon? I know that Tree Fiddy Moon is black, so I guess I should have picked up on these clues.

Where is my magnifying glass and tweed hat?
( Last edited by besson3c; Mar 17, 2007 at 08:42 PM. )
     
marden
Baninated
Join Date: Sep 2005
Status: Offline
Mar 17, 2007, 09:14 PM
 
Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
I always thought that Marden was Tree Fiddy Moon? I know that Tree Fiddy Moon is black, so I guess I should have picked up on these clues.

Where is my magnifying glass and tweed hat?
Don' pretein you don' know de trufe. You gots dat ISP shizit on yo site so don play wif a playa. I ain no tree fiddy. You knows it an ah knows it.
     
besson3c
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: yes
Status: Offline
Mar 17, 2007, 09:21 PM
 
Hmmmm... I guess maybe I should go through my database to check out what your IP was when you posted on Fuzzy Wombat, because I would not be doing my part as a responsible administrator if I didn't try to protect this country from foreign agents.
     
 
Thread Tools
 
Forum Links
Forum Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Top
Privacy Policy
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:42 PM.
All contents of these forums © 1995-2017 MacNN. All rights reserved.
Branding + Design: www.gesamtbild.com
vBulletin v.3.8.8 © 2000-2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.,