Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > Need help with software for "Java How to Program" by Deitel & Deitel

Need help with software for "Java How to Program" by Deitel & Deitel
Michael A
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 14, 2002, 03:43 PM

My daughter is starting a computer course in a couple of weeks and one of the textbooks she was asked to read in advance is the Java tome mentioned above. It comes with a CD, which has three programs:
  • Borland Jbuilder 3, University Edition
  • Java 2 SDK, Standard Edition
  • NetBeans DeveloperX2 2.1
None of these will work on a Mac. The documentation says NetBeans will, but it won't. I'm guessing it's OS X only.

What are the options? Do we accept reality and buy her a PC notebook to replace her iBook, or is there Mac software that will do the same thing as these programs? I would appreciate some help.

pumpkinapo
Sep 14, 2002, 05:41 PM

If she's running Mac OS X, Java 2 SE is already installed, and instead of JBuilder she can use Project Builder from the Developer Tools CD.

As for Mac OS 9, you should be able to install Java from Apple or Sun. And to replace JBuilder you can get Metrowerks CodeWarrior for Java.

As for NetBeans, sorry I know nothing.

Peter.
Peter Leing
17" 1.67GHz PowerBook
450MHz G4 Cube

seanrg_2000
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 15, 2002, 06:10 PM

Originally posted by Michael A:
My daughter is starting a computer course in a couple of weeks and one of the textbooks she was asked to read in advance is the Java tome mentioned above. It comes with a CD, which has three programs:
  • Borland Jbuilder 3, University Edition
  • Java 2 SDK, Standard Edition
  • NetBeans DeveloperX2 2.1
None of these will work on a Mac. The documentation says NetBeans will, but it won't. I'm guessing it's OS X only.

What are the options? Do we accept reality and buy her a PC notebook to replace her iBook, or is there Mac software that will do the same thing as these programs? I would appreciate some help.
Both netbeans and jbuilder are "integrated development environments" aka IDE's. Useful, but not essential. I've done java development on the mac (under 9.x) using MPW, BBEdit, and Apple's own tools that come with the 1.1.8 java that was available at the time.

Java 2 (also referred to as jdk 1.2 on up), is quite frankly imposssible under OS 9. It just isn't there. The distribution on the CD is for x86 platforms.

But lets look at what your daughter will be learning...

* fundamentals of the java language and framework
* object oriented design and methodologies

For those, the best resources she can have is (imho)
*good books
*good teachers
*web access to get the skinny at sites such as java.sun.com

Also, in my toolkit, another item (which isn't addressed by any of the software provided on the CD you mentioned) is a decent object oriented analysis and design program (ood/ooa). I highly recommend ObjectPlant on the Mac (and still one of my favorite tools, no holds bared).

Will she run into "stumbling blocks" using OS 9 for java development? In a word, yes. Most noteably the collections framework (she'll find out more about that later). Even that isn't a huge problem, an identical package was released and made available by Sun for the 1.x java environments (url escapes me at the moment, but you should be able to find it on their site).

If I were to recommend anything, simply have her get a copy of OS X (which should run fine on her iBook, but may take some getting used to assuming she has adequate ram and disk space). Since she's going to school for this, she may qualify for student pricing on OS X (as well as other software) as well. Go ahead and use it!

Kristoff
Mac Elite
Sep 22, 2002, 05:37 PM

If your daughter is learning Java....then she MUST start with Java 1.2 or above.
Java always sucked on Macs...until OS X.

Too much has changed since 1.1.8
They even changed the certification exam.

1.3.1 is what is on OS X.

NetBeans / Forte work great. I use it professionally every day. If you need help setting it up on X, let me know!
signatures are a waste of bandwidth
especially ones with political tripe in them.

Forum Links
Forum Rules