Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > transfer to new machine!!!

transfer to new machine!!!
wilburguy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 13, 2002, 09:22 AM

Hi-
Ordered my 1Ghz TiBook!! So, with Jaguar, what is the best way to get my info off my old 550 to my new PowerBook? Drag my apps and home folder? Is it that simple?

Podolsky
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 13, 2002, 06:43 PM

you could burn a cd
you could beg or borrw an external firewire or usb drive
you could use .mac if you have enough space or time
you could free yourself from the dependency on old data

Christina
Forum Regular
Nov 13, 2002, 06:47 PM

Connect them via a firewire cable. Turn the old one off, turn it on while holding down the 't' key. Copy all files from the old hard drive to the new one, eject old hard drive... done.

Christina
Originally posted by wilburguy:
Hi-
Ordered my 1Ghz TiBook!! So, with Jaguar, what is the best way to get my info off my old 550 to my new PowerBook? Drag my apps and home folder? Is it that simple?
TiBook - 1GHz, 1GBB, 60GB HD, Combo Drive

Dave Hagan
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 13, 2002, 10:40 PM

Hey that's what I'm doing as I type this! It took 38 minutes to transfer my music via Firewire target disk mode. I can't believe I've amassed 21.58 GB of MP3 music files (around 4500 songs BTW)...now for the digital pictures and my downloads folder...Fun, fun, fun!
Dave Hagan | Apple Certified Technical Coordinator | iMac G5 1.9GHz | PowerBook G4 1.5GHz | Power Mac G4 933 MHz

JoNoiD
Forum Regular
Nov 14, 2002, 01:16 AM

Are the permissions of the Applications folder retained using the drag and drop method?

Christina
Forum Regular
Nov 14, 2002, 01:25 AM

I'd have to check, I'm not really sure. I have the same username on both computers, so both show up as owner. How can I do a better check?

Originally posted by JoNoiD:
Are the permissions of the Applications folder retained using the drag and drop method?
TiBook - 1GHz, 1GBB, 60GB HD, Combo Drive

craigthomas
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 14, 2002, 01:47 AM

Drag and drop Applications? Aren't there files that get installed from the CD that go beyond the Apps folder? Sure would be a lot faster though than pumping in and out install discs. Any confirmation on the safety of this?

Forum Links
Forum Rules