Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Anyone heard the KHTML Community response to Safari??

Anyone heard the KHTML Community response to Safari??
LeeG
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 9, 2003, 12:13 AM

Well? Anyone know if they've looked into webcore, and are they happy/angry/indifferent?? Just curious....

Lee
iPhone 3G 16Gb
24" 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo iMac, 4GB/320GB/256MB
12" AlBook 1Ghz/768Mb/80Gb/Combo/AX

Gene Jockey
Mac Elite
Jan 9, 2003, 12:15 AM

Originally posted by LeeG:
Well? Anyone know if they've looked into webcore, and are they happy/angry/indifferent?? Just curious....

Lee
Here's some reading material for you:

http://dot.kde.org/1041971213/

--Josh

Earth Mk. II
Mac Elite
Jan 9, 2003, 12:58 AM

reading over that article - it seems the KDE community couldn't be happier. Even if only for the added exposure.

Still, it all seems to be a good thing.
/Earth\ Mk\.\ I{2}/

Guy Incognito
Banned
Jan 9, 2003, 01:02 AM

I really hope Konqueror and Safari (and Gecko) start stealing from the IE rendering engine's marketshare. That way people that aren't using standard code will be in deep doodoo.

Guy Incognito
Banned
Jan 9, 2003, 01:34 AM

In other news...Hyatt mentions that the next Safari version will have 96dpi default instead of 72dpi and thus fix the 'small font' issue.

He's also fixed the 'slow Flash' issue.

And fixed the CSS1 issue.

Hyatt

LeeG  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 9, 2003, 01:36 AM

Thanks, good reading, seems like people are very appreciative - this is a great collaboration, and I LOVE this direction Apple is taking. Hmm...Open source office (drolls uncontrollably).......aggghhhhh....

Lee
iPhone 3G 16Gb
24" 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo iMac, 4GB/320GB/256MB
12" AlBook 1Ghz/768Mb/80Gb/Combo/AX

Metzen
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 9, 2003, 03:13 AM

Originally posted by Guy Incognito:
In other news...Hyatt mentions that the next Safari version will have 96dpi default instead of 72dpi and thus fix the 'small font' issue.

He's also fixed the 'slow Flash' issue.

And fixed the CSS1 issue.

Hyatt
Better question is...

Where's the source for that? Is it in WebCore's CVS already? I guess I should shut up and check first before posting such questions, but dig this:

Link

This will allow you to replace the opensource WebCore component (which has those improvements) with a patched/custom built one. I'm going to go check Apple's CVS right now to see if there's the update. The Flash speed has been really a kicker, and if it's fixed I'll post an updated version of Safari here, or you can use the directions in the link to use a easily replaceable custom core Safari.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction.
E. F. Schumacher

Metzen
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 9, 2003, 03:22 AM

Originally posted by Metzen:
[snip] ...and if it's fixed I'll post an updated version of Safari here, or you can use the directions in the link to use a easily replaceable custom core Safari.
[update]

I'm not seeing WebCore on Apple's CVS yet, or the diff files I would need... Hmmm... They must be working out where CVS will go with the K-Dev team.
( Last edited by Metzen; Jan 9, 2003 at 03:28 AM. )
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction.
E. F. Schumacher

Northform
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 9, 2003, 03:35 AM

The sourcecode is avail. at http://developer.apple.com/darwin/projects/webcore/

Yeah I know it's not CVS, but it is there. I heard from a few developers that have worked with KDE and they are glad to see support for it. KHTML never really took off in the opensource community because it was limited to KDE (even though it can be made to work for multiple platforms), didn't have corporate sponsorship like Moz, and had a licencing problem with Qt that has since went away.

1. KDE is most of the Linux graphical market, but it's a small market and if you have the option of developing Moz for all platforms and maybe unseating MS or just fiddling with Konqueror you would probably choose Moz.

2. Moz had huge support from AOL/Netscape and people saw that as something desireable (it does ensure the project a bit more).

3. The licencing issue. KDE stuff links with Qt. Qt had a licencing stipulation that made it incompatable with the GPL/LGPL. This meant that it was on shaky ground licencing wise. Qt has since changed their licence so there is no problem any more, but so many people had already committed themselves to Moz.

Metzen
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 9, 2003, 03:55 AM

Originally posted by Northform:
The sourcecode is avail. at http://developer.apple.com/darwin/projects/webcore/

Yeah I know it's not CVS, but it is there.
Here's Konqurer's CVS, so it's got to be here somewhere (KHTML).

I guess it would be helpful if I knew whether or not Hyatt submitted those DIFF files or not...
E. F. Schumacher

Metzen
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 9, 2003, 04:03 AM

Originally posted by Metzen:
Here's Konqurer's CVS, so it's got to be here somewhere (KHTML).

I guess it would be helpful if I knew whether or not Hyatt submitted those DIFF files or not...
KHTML library link...
E. F. Schumacher

Forum Links
Forum Rules