Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Using Alavro's MSN Messenger (and saving 15% of you CPU cycles!)

Using Alavro's MSN Messenger (and saving 15% of you CPU cycles!)
Metzen
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 20, 2003, 05:02 AM

Ok, on the Linux box I've setup at school I'm using Al's Messenger. It's nice, small, fast, sleek. Works pretty well in Linux.

Anyways, since it's open source and all that I decided to get it working on my Mac. So, just so people have an alternative as opposed to the slow, bulky MSN Messenger from Microsoft, here's Alvaro's Messenger! (You'll need the developer tools installed)

1) Download Alvaro's Messenger
2) Download Tcl/Tk
3) Install Tcl/Tk
4) Open Terminal and switch to your download folder directory then "cd msn"
5) "sudo make"
6) Now go "wish amsn"

Boom! It's working in full Aqua glory! If the window doesn't display for you, it's probably off screen (for some reason mine was). To fix that, set your resolution smaller and then back to larger.

This is a neat way to get multiple MSN messenger's going as well, just "wish amsn" for as many as you need. I often need two or three if I have a few friends over. As well, amsn uses far less resources than Microsoft's MSN (amsn peeks at 9.8% for me where as MS MSN peeks at 26.4%). The only draw back to amsn...

Kind of ugly GUI, and no sound.

But sweet otherwise! Let me know what you all think!
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction.
E. F. Schumacher

Forum Links
Forum Rules