Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > nobody answered my question: How much do g4's cost?

nobody answered my question: How much do g4's cost?
freakboy2
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 20, 2003, 12:17 PM

Does anyone know how much g4's cost in units of 1000?

FB2

aaanorton
Mac Elite
Jan 20, 2003, 12:34 PM

Why don't you get on the phone with someone from an "unnamed company" and ask them. Twit.

Metzen
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 20, 2003, 12:39 PM

Originally posted by freakboy2:
Does anyone know how much g4's cost in units of 1000?

FB2
Around $300 for a 1000MHz in quantities of 30.

Best place to look is:

www.motorola.com
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction.
E. F. Schumacher

freakboy2  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 20, 2003, 12:42 PM

Originally posted by aaanorton:
Why don't you get on the phone with someone from an "unnamed company" and ask them. Twit.
:shivers:

Whatever. I'm sorry for the prank. Get over it.

Fb2
( Last edited by freakboy2; Jan 20, 2003 at 12:49 PM. )

freakboy2  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 20, 2003, 12:47 PM

Originally posted by Metzen:
Around $300 for a 1000MHz in quantities of 30.

Best place to look is:

www.motorola.com
Do you have a link? I can't find the pricing info on motorola's site..

fb2

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 20, 2003, 02:58 PM

1 GHz G4 7455 for $300? Wow, that's pretty pricey. I wonder what it is in batches of 1000.

I also wonder what the PPC970 at 1.4 GHz is gonna cost. It seems that with that kind of moolah for the 1 GHz G4, a $300 PPC970 would be a bargain. (For reference, an Athlon 2400 and a P4 2.4 GHz are in about the $180 range, for single processors available to the public.)

FXWizard
Forum Regular
Jan 20, 2003, 07:30 PM

fb2
Maybe because they'd prefer that you talk to a real, live person?

freakboy2  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 20, 2003, 07:52 PM

Originally posted by FXWizard:
Maybe because they'd prefer that you talk to a real, live person?
Yeah, I figured that since all the other major PC CPU vendors have their prices listed almost as if they were on a freely traded market that perhaps this was true of g4's and that maybe someone would know where this information could be found.

Fb2

:XI:
Mac Elite
Jan 20, 2003, 08:54 PM

chances are that even if you could buy a single chip (or 30, or even 1000) from motorola, it won't be on a board with all the other components (cache, the connector to fit it in a powermac, etc.) it'll just be the chip. what good's that?

it'll end up like those 2 strongarms i've got stashed away somewhere. (hey, they were free!)

Ken_F2
Mac Elite
Jan 21, 2003, 12:04 AM

Yes, Motorola doesn't manufacturer the cpu boards; they are proprietary/specific to Apple. Assuming you had the $$$ to place an order for 1000 G4 processors with Motorola, they wouldn't do you much good until you built your own Apple-compatible processor boards. Of course, it can be done...Powerlogix et al have shown that.

Btw...I seriously doubt the 1GHz G4 still costs anywhere near $300. When it was first announced, more than a year ago, it was priced at something like $295. It is probably in the $175 range now.

Metzen
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 21, 2003, 01:53 AM

Originally posted by Ken_F2:
Btw...I seriously doubt the 1GHz G4 still costs anywhere near $300. When it was first announced, more than a year ago, it was priced at something like $295. It is probably in the $175 range now.
Your wrong again.

Man, Motorola even made it easy to search for the price of their processors. They even have a icon It amazes me at the laziness of some people. Always wanting things handed to them. Sheesh.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction.
E. F. Schumacher

Metzen
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 21, 2003, 02:05 AM

Originally posted by :XI::
chances are that even if you could buy a single chip (or 30, or even 1000) from motorola, it won't be on a board with all the other components (cache, the connector to fit it in a powermac, etc.) it'll just be the chip. what good's that?
Errr... it has to. They have to conform to packages built from Motorola, no? 400 some odd pins built on CGBA or some other.
E. F. Schumacher

Forum Links
Forum Rules