Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Cube harddisc recommendations

Cube harddisc recommendations
cube_450
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 4, 2003, 08:29 AM

I am in the need to exchange the orginal harddisc of my Cube as it is getting too small.

I think about a Seagate Baracude IV or a Western Digital Special Edition.

How much storage can I put in the Cube? I have read something that the firmware can't handle more than 120 GB?

Would you recommend 80 or 120 GB? Or even more? What about heat problems?

What harddisc is quieter?

Is the speed gain of the Western Digital SE worth the higher prise compared to the chaeper Barracuda IV?

Questions questions questions.... ;-)

Thank you for your help.

cUBe

joe
Mac Elite
Mar 4, 2003, 09:17 AM

I upgraded my Cube hard drive with the Western Digital 100gig JB (special edition). At the time, the 120gig version hadn't been released or I would've bought that instead. Because of the addressing limitation of the ATA/66 bus, 120gig hard drives are the largest that can be used in the Cube. I think the actual limit is around 127gigs, but they don't make drives that size.

No regrets on buying my WD 100gig drive. The combination of 7200rpm speed and 8meg buffer give my Cube a noticeable speed improvement even in every day tasks. The WD 100gig drive is fast, quiet, and hasn't caused any heat problems since I installed it almost a year and a half ago.

One possible problem - the faster spindle speed may cause your Cube's base to buzz slightly depending on the surface of your desk. Unlike other Macs (and PCs) the Cube does not have any rubber feet, so the shell directly contacts the desk. This vibration/buzz doesn't happen on my Cube now but it did happen with my old desk and I remember using a mousepad under my Cube at the time. This was also a complaint of Cubes that were sold by Apple with the optional 7200rpm drive as well. Anyway, that's about the only downside I can come up with. One way to avoid it is to go with a slower 120gig 5400rpm drive. Or just use a spare mouse pad if it happens with your desk (it may not). regards.....joe

macvillage.net
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 4, 2003, 10:28 AM

I was looking at a 120GB drive for my Beige G3/DT Fileserver....

seems to be the leading drive these days.

If accoustics are a big concern, I would recommend the Seagate Barracuda series. i have a 40GB one, in my B&W G3... and it's silent and fast.

Sophus
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 4, 2003, 12:19 PM

Originally posted by cube_450:
I am in the need to exchange the orginal harddisc of my Cube as it is getting too small.

I think about a Seagate Baracude IV or a Western Digital Special Edition.

How much storage can I put in the Cube? I have read something that the firmware can't handle more than 120 GB?

Would you recommend 80 or 120 GB? Or even more? What about heat problems?

What harddisc is quieter?

Is the speed gain of the Western Digital SE worth the higher prise compared to the chaeper Barracuda IV?

Questions questions questions.... ;-)

Thank you for your help.

cUBe
I just bought and installed the Barracuda V 120gig with 8MB cache. It is fast and it is very quiet. No vibrations either. Very pleased with it. The Cube feels faster and apps. launch much faster. I recommend it.

Sophus

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 4, 2003, 01:13 PM

I agree with Sophus-- go for the 8MB cache. Lots of anecdotal reports that it's signifigantly faster.

Western Digital and Seagate are both pretty reliable, so whichever is cheaper between the WD Special Edition and the Seagate Barracuda V.

120 GB is as big as you can go in Cube.

CV

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

saru boy
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 4, 2003, 01:48 PM

Originally posted by chris v:
I agree with Sophus-- go for the 8MB cache. Lots of anecdotal reports that it's signifigantly faster.

Western Digital and Seagate are both pretty reliable, so whichever is cheaper between the WD Special Edition and the Seagate Barracuda V.

120 GB is as big as you can go in Cube.

CV
I didn't know that Seagate had a 8MB cache model that wasn't Serial ATA.

Anyway, I have a WD1000JB (100GB 8MB cache) model in my Cube. No vibration problems, but you may run into heat issue if you have your Cube on for extended periods (with the hard drive active). I put a fan in my Cube, so I don't have any heat issues, but I recall that it used to get a bit toasty before I put the fan in.

macvillage.net
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 4, 2003, 01:52 PM

I just ordered my WD 120GB drive.

If heat is an issue, go with the Seagate... they don't get very hot.

pumpkinapo
Mar 4, 2003, 02:06 PM

In case anyone was looking for info about the 8-MB Seagate here's the link to their site:

Barracuda ATA V

Just be careful if you find one. There is apperently two Barracuda ATA V. One with a 2MB buffer and one with 8MB.

2MB product number: ST3120023A
8MB product nubmer: ST3120024A
Peter Leing
17" 1.67GHz PowerBook
450MHz G4 Cube

Forum Links
Forum Rules