Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Great news from MacOSRumors

Great news from MacOSRumors
cdrgonzo20
Apr 14, 2003, 08:45 PM

According to MacOSRumors, in os 10.3, we can expect to see quartz extreme become, you guessed it, even more extreme!!! Wow, I'm excited, and glad to be privy to such information.
There is no emoticon for what I am feeling!
-------------------------------------
My system specs:

2 furry caches
17" diaganol quad pumped weener
198 lb ham
44x36x57 CWR
overpriced, underperforming, but sleek nonetheless.

I also have a G4.

Guy Incognito 2
Banned
Apr 14, 2003, 08:48 PM

Originally posted by cdrgonzo20:
According to MacOSRumors, in os 10.3, we can expect to see quartz extreme become, you guessed it, even more extreme!!! Wow, I'm excited, and glad to be privy to such information.
Oh gawd...if MOSR says it, that means we'll never see this feature...EVER!

TheMosco
Mac Elite
Apr 14, 2003, 11:31 PM

I heard "Great news from MacOSRumors" and i thought you were going to tell me they went out of business. darn, got my hopes up for nothing.

snerdini
Senior User
Apr 14, 2003, 11:34 PM

Originally posted by TheMosco:
I heard "Great news from MacOSRumors" and i thought you were going to tell me they went out of business. darn, got my hopes up for nothing.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 14, 2003, 11:42 PM

so let us say for the sake of conversation that this rumor is correct. anyone got any ideas on what quartz extreme^2 is?

cdrgonzo20  (op)
Apr 15, 2003, 12:28 AM

rumor is they're having problems with it being too extreme. People's heads blowing off and such with the extremeness of it.
There is no emoticon for what I am feeling!
-------------------------------------
My system specs:

2 furry caches
17" diaganol quad pumped weener
198 lb ham
44x36x57 CWR
overpriced, underperforming, but sleek nonetheless.

I also have a G4.

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Apr 15, 2003, 12:31 AM

rumor is they're having problems with it being too extreme. People's heads blowing off and such with the extremeness of it.
Oh, now come on, thats a little extreme don't you think?

Sebastien
Apr 15, 2003, 12:40 AM

well, MOSR is still better than anything AppleInsider provides.

Oneota
Professional Poster
Apr 15, 2003, 01:11 AM

"Yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation" yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation.

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 15, 2003, 01:17 AM

Originally posted by TheMosco:
Yeah I thought the same thing.. Sad it isn't true

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Apr 15, 2003, 02:16 AM

Originally posted by Sebastien:
well, MOSR is still better than anything AppleInsider provides.
Did you just say "Apple inside her"?

moki
Ambrosia - el Presidente
Apr 15, 2003, 03:49 AM

Quartz Extremer! Roar!
Andrew Welch / el Presidente / Ambrosia Software, Inc.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Apr 15, 2003, 04:21 AM

Sheesh, you'd think they could get more creative than this...

Quartz Extreme will get more optimizations in Panther! Ya think? As if code optimization hasn't been a major feature of each .1 release so far...

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

step
Forum Regular
Apr 15, 2003, 08:17 AM

apple are hitting their heads against a brick wall!
quartz extreme is a dead end and is keeping us back, they should switch over to quartz to-the-maxx..it has twice as many 'x's in it, is everyone blind exept me and Dvorak!!!???

edited 'cause safari can't remember to keep it's spellchecker switched on

Moose
Senior User
Apr 15, 2003, 08:41 AM

Originally posted by step:
edited 'cause safari can't remember to keep it's spellchecker switched on
Easy solution for this:

Learn how to spell and type.

DoctorW
Forum Regular
Apr 15, 2003, 08:46 AM

Wow. This all does indeed sound rather extreme. I think, to play it safe, Apple should charge only $64.50 for the upgrade, so we don't get overloaded with all the extremities.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Apr 15, 2003, 09:12 AM

Apple can't offer a $129 upgrade that doesn't offer a significant reason to upgrade. I'm sure we will all be surprised with 10.3 is released. I was one of those happy people to upgrade to 10.2 because of all the nice new features. If they make another 10.1 -> 10.2 bumps, I'll be more then happy to pay $129.

To be honest, I would pay that much for a new finder (with ftp built in), and iChat bump and a Mail bump...

invisibleX
Mac Elite
Apr 15, 2003, 09:49 AM

I'll pay for another update when hell, florida and Mount Helen freeze over.

Stupid Apple and their "extreme" updates
-"I don't believe in God. "
"That doesn't matter. He believes in you."

-"I'm not agnostic. Just nonpartisan. Theological Switzerland, that's me."

Cipher13
Apr 15, 2003, 10:05 AM

Yup. Quartz Extreme - The Fifth Dimension� now offers not ONLY hardware accelerated cursor shadows - but hardware accelerated cursors that pulse different colours according to your mood!

step
Forum Regular
Apr 15, 2003, 10:07 AM

Originally posted by Moose:
Easy solution for this:

Learn how to spell and type.
mom?

nobitacu
Mac Elite
Apr 15, 2003, 10:13 AM

Well, if it is true though, that would be great news, and I'll be happy to pay that $129 for the upgrade.

Ming
A Proud Mac User Since: 03/24/03
Apple Computer: MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3 GB Memory, 120 GB HD

Diggory Laycock
Professional Poster
Apr 15, 2003, 10:16 AM

After Airport Extreme and Quartz Extreme I'm looking forward to Bodacious Bluetooth and Incredible Infra-Red

Cipher13
Apr 15, 2003, 10:24 AM

Originally posted by Diggory Laycock:
After Airport Extreme and Quartz Extreme I'm looking forward to Bodacious Bluetooth and Incredible Infra-Red
Don't forget the Super-Duper-Drive.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Apr 15, 2003, 10:57 AM

News and MOSR is like oil and water.
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

AJ
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 15, 2003, 11:54 AM

Originally posted by invisibleX:
I'll pay for another update when hell, florida and Mount Helen freeze over.

Stupid Apple and their "extreme" updates
Uh, who exactly is forcing you to upgrade? Who is forcing you to pay money?

Yep. That's right, no one.

AJ

proux
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 15, 2003, 12:09 PM

Some people think being an Apple loyalist means always getting the best and latest software at no cost. Get real, you want new stuffs you pay for it.

Groovy
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 15, 2003, 12:11 PM

Quartz Extremer! Roar!
haha

Moki do not laugh too hard because there really is going to be a naming upgrade to:

Quartz Extreme Pro

it is one thing Apple will do to help push users to pay the $129 to upgrade. If it sounds better it must be better huh

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 15, 2003, 12:45 PM

Quartz Extreme X

"So extreme, you must be free of heart conditions, not pregnant, not think you might be pregnant, a senior citizen, a child under three, or one of a dozen species of small, furry animals that are listed in the README"
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Apr 15, 2003, 02:15 PM

They find a way to accelerate scrolling with QE, I'll be happy. Extreme Scrolling�. And damn, people, enough with the extreme jokes.

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Apr 15, 2003, 03:25 PM

If Apple gets any more extreme, they may give Tony Hawk (the extreeemist!) a run for his money!

pat++
Mac Elite
Apr 15, 2003, 03:47 PM

A friend of my friend told a guy that Panther will feature Snappy (R) Extreme (TM)

Anomalous
Mac Elite
Apr 15, 2003, 04:17 PM

Would all of you trashing MOSR please SHUT UP? If you don't like MOSR, don't read threads like this. Some of us find MOSR to be a reliable and valuable source of information. We should be able to talk about it without getting flooded with rude insults every time we say anything. I am starting to think you are just desperate to increase your post counts.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 15, 2003, 05:18 PM

All around us, the world is falling into extremism of all sorts. Now Apple is suffering from extremism as well. Is there no Quartz MiddleGround�?

CV

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

ASIMO
Mac Elite
Apr 15, 2003, 05:26 PM

Originally posted by chris v:
All around us, the world is falling into extremism of all sorts. Now Apple is suffering from extremism as well. Is there no Quartz MiddleGround??

CV
Will Extreme Centrist do?
I, ASIMO.

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 15, 2003, 05:54 PM

Originally posted by Anomalous:
Would all of you trashing MOSR please SHUT UP? If you don't like MOSR, don't read threads like this. Some of us find MOSR to be a reliable and valuable source of information. We should be able to talk about it without getting flooded with rude insults every time we say anything. I am starting to think you are just desperate to increase your post counts.
If you don't like to see people bashing on MOSR, don't read their post. Simple as that

Nai no Kami
Senior User
Apr 15, 2003, 06:00 PM

No joke: "Quartz Holy Sh�t" will be released with Panther, according to inside very trustable sources. Indeed, there will be also a new revamped mac line with Blowtruth built in.

Edited because of the high morality of this board which censored the word "****"

Y no entienden nada... ¡y cómo se divierten!...

Metzen
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 16, 2003, 02:31 AM

Funniest post all day.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction.
E. F. Schumacher

Cipher13
Apr 16, 2003, 06:13 AM

ROFL.

Hahaha.

Thanks, I needed that.

gururafiki
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 16, 2003, 06:18 AM

Some of us find MOSR to be a reliable and valuable source of information.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Apr 16, 2003, 08:07 AM

Some of us find MOSR to be a reliable and valuable source of information.
Valuable?

Reliable?

Great irony man, entertaining.

Huh...? Not irony?

OMG.

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 16, 2003, 08:24 AM

...and your point is???
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

Moose
Senior User
Apr 16, 2003, 08:32 AM

Heh.

You wouldn't be saying that if you knew Meader like I knew Meader.

I have watched him make things up out of whole cloth.

The "Amelio's getting resigned" story was his only real coup, and he's been going downhill steadily since. Most of the meager successes he's had since then have been overshadowed by his stunningly ridiculous predictions that had no chance in hell of happening (he predicted that the iBook would come with a hand crank to charge the battery, among other things).

The man just isn't smart. He may be intelligent, but he's incredibly dumb when it comes to self-appraisal or business sense. Anybody with any brains who's been associated with him has long since departed, and he lost, though his terminal fiscal retardation, Slashdot as an advertising site.

You don't have to be Kreskin to see that Meader's been going downhill. With respect to the other main rumor mongers, Jeff Valvano's heart doesn't appear to be into it anymore, given that he's updated AppleInsider a total of four times this year (I wonder what he's doing to pay the bills nowadays). "Nick dePlume" is just a pretentious dipshit who formed what appears to be the high-tech equivalent of a neighborhood club, but has been, somehow, able to pass itself off as a "credible" source.

It's sad how some people so desperately want to BELIEVE things that they will allow themselves to be taken for a ride on the Fantasy Express. What's even more depressing is that people make purchasing decisions based on these sites, which, ultimately, only hurts Apple.

So yeah. Believe Meader if you want. But you'll be wrong. I bet you even subscribed to MOSR, playing Tina Turner to Meader's Ike.

C'mon, baby. Have some cake.

Nonsuch
Professional Poster
Apr 16, 2003, 10:34 AM

I thought Ryan Meader didn't run MOSR anymore?
Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them.

-- Frederick Douglass, 1857

Moose
Senior User
Apr 16, 2003, 11:01 AM

Originally posted by Nonsuch:
I thought Ryan Meader didn't run MOSR anymore?
That's what I thought too...until they added (a short time ago) this tag at the bottom:

Site Powered by Mac OS X Server - Hosting by Xerces Consulting - Hardware provided by MacSolutions.

Xerces Consulting appears to be Meader's newest attempt to get out of having a Real Job. As "senior partner," (I'd hate to see what hapless fools he's gotten as junior partners--if he actually is having partners instead of "interns" nowadays) he's getting rid of a whole host of Mac/Paintball stuff so that he can eat. It includes such wonderful items as:

*PowerMac Blue-and-White G3/400MHz with 256MB of memory, ATi Rage 128 Pro graphics card, Firewire, USB, 6GB hard drive, 24X CD-ROM, 10/100 Ethernet, Audio In/Out, Apple Microphone - $600

This is almost certainly the very same B&W G3 that he broke the processor clip on while attempting to install a PowerLogix CPU upgrade or a fan or something. I forget what exactly it was, but he broke the plastic clip on the ZIF slot, and, then, was retarded enough to post about it on MOSR, ensuring that no Apple Authorized Service Provider would cover it under warranty. I ended up breaking up part of the jewel case of a cassette tape, grinding it down into something approximating the right size/shape, and epoxying it on. How odd that he mentions none of this.

*Apple Network Server (ANS) 700/200MP, with twin 200MHz PowerPC 604e processors, six hot-swappable drive bays, built-in SCSI disk controller, six PCI slots, and an enterprise-level design that makes it a very powerful server for businesses of almost any size. Runs PowerPC Linux, PowerPC BSD, Apple's A/UX and IBM's AIX operating systems. Considered a classic, these often sell for more than Apple's latest server hardware because they have so much more expansion and redundancy, including an optional second power supply! Suggested offer: $800, will consider any reasonable offer.

I don't remember what exactly this machine's problem was, but it was quite retarded indeed. Most of the time I was working with it, we had the main board out of it with the battery out, in an attempt to reset some setting or another that was more persistent than a 15-year-old Rumors fiend. We were able, eventually, to get AIX installed on it from the CDs, but could never get Linux installed on it, partly because the ANS is a whore to work with, and partly because Linux was a whore to work with on the PPC platform, not to mention the ANS, and also the fact that Linux was, and remains in most respects, a toy OS used by hobbyists for desktops.

Also, he makes it sound like redundant power supplies are something fancy. (Hint: They're not.)

*Netgear 10baseT Ethernet Hub, Five Ports, $20 or best offer

*10baseT Ethernet hub with four ports, uplink, and built in Router/Firewall for sharing high-speed internet connections across several computers at no extra expense -- very powerful security for your cable modem, small business network, or DSL line! $45 or best offer.

Sad, Ryan. Just sad. Why don't you just put out a sign that says, "PLEASE GIVE ME YOUR MONEY?" Oh, wait. He already did.

His credibility has completely vanished now. Every few months for the past four years, he's come running out of the gates screaming about the IMMINENT RELEASE of "multiple-cored processors" and "quad-processor" G4s, G5s, and, recently, 970s in his I-know-much-more-than-you-do-about-these-things patronizing writing style and use of the first person plural that, quite frankly, makes my skin crawl.

You might as well be reading Crazy Apple Rumors for all the value you get out of MOSR. At least CAR is funny sometimes. MOSR just makes me sad for the poor fools who actually eat the pellets of fabrication out of Meader's hand like so many rabbits.

Anomalous
Mac Elite
Apr 16, 2003, 02:21 PM

Originally posted by Adam Betts:
If you don't like to see people bashing on MOSR, don't read their post. Simple as that
Your response is ridiculous. How can I avoid reading such posts when rude people like you keep invading legitimate threads that I am trying to read with stupid posts like this. The only thing I can do is add all the people in this thread who are being jerks to my Ignore List, and I assure you, I have already done that.

Anomalous
Mac Elite
Apr 16, 2003, 02:23 PM

Originally posted by Moose:
Heh.

You wouldn't be saying that if you knew Meader like I knew Meader.

I have watched him make things up out of whole cloth.

The "Amelio's getting resigned" story was his only real coup, and he's been going downhill steadily since. Most of the meager successes he's had since then have been overshadowed by his stunningly ridiculous predictions that had no chance in hell of happening (he predicted that the iBook would come with a hand crank to charge the battery, among other things).

The man just isn't smart. He may be intelligent, but he's incredibly dumb when it comes to self-appraisal or business sense. Anybody with any brains who's been associated with him has long since departed, and he lost, though his terminal fiscal retardation, Slashdot as an advertising site.

You don't have to be Kreskin to see that Meader's been going downhill. With respect to the other main rumor mongers, Jeff Valvano's heart doesn't appear to be into it anymore, given that he's updated AppleInsider a total of four times this year (I wonder what he's doing to pay the bills nowadays). "Nick dePlume" is just a pretentious dipshit who formed what appears to be the high-tech equivalent of a neighborhood club, but has been, somehow, able to pass itself off as a "credible" source.

It's sad how some people so desperately want to BELIEVE things that they will allow themselves to be taken for a ride on the Fantasy Express. What's even more depressing is that people make purchasing decisions based on these sites, which, ultimately, only hurts Apple.

So yeah. Believe Meader if you want. But you'll be wrong. I bet you even subscribed to MOSR, playing Tina Turner to Meader's Ike.

C'mon, baby. Have some cake.
I am not desperate to believe anything. The rumors on MOSR have an excellent track record of being true, and that is why I tend to believe him. If anything, it is getting better, not going "downhill."

Moose
Senior User
Apr 16, 2003, 02:47 PM

I am not desperate to believe anything. The rumors on MOSR have an excellent track record of being true, and that is why I tend to believe him. If anything, it is getting better, not going "downhill."
I'd invite you to peruse the archives. They tell a different story.

April 30, 2001:
Prototype G5 PowerMacs spied
Several sources who have provided spot-on reports about prototype Macs (including the original iMac, the first iBook, and the PowerMac G4) are now reporting that proof-of-concept PowerMacs with developmental G5-class PowerPC processors from Motorola have been demonstrated to at least two of Apple's strategic partners.
April 24, 2001:
Two "totally new" Apple products out this year -- and not at Expos
New reports from long-time sources close to Apple's hardware marketing efforts have confirmed that Apple is reaching the beta stage with two new products described as completely unlike its existing computer models -- while they are both based around complete computer motherboard architectures, these Digital Hub devices are reported to blur the line between computer and entertainment appliance.
January 19, 2001:
"CubeBook" actually an information appliance?
Several times, Steve Jobs has reminded curious reporters how tough the information appliance market is, and how Apple may not be best suited for it. Yet according to some very interesting reports coming in from Cupertino, that may be precisely what the long-rumored "CubeBook" is: a tablet-style computer based on the iBook that would cost less than US $600 and still offer many of the features of other Mac OS X-based computers.
Need I continue? Yes. Yes, I do. MOSR is getting better indeed:

October 4, 2002:
RAID will become more prevalent in standard PowerMac configurations with the new systems due out in January, according to reliable Apple sources. The high-end system will come standard with two high-performance disk drives, 7200RPM ATA-133 disks with 4-8MB of cache memory, and will be formatted with RAID support standard.
Hell, he can't even predict what he himself is going to do with any accuracy, as he illustrates in prime form on September 10, 2002:

Because correspondence-based content takes up more vertical space than most other articles we post, we are implementing a system to place correspondence articles on their own separate pages. This will increase our page loads, but our PowerMac G3 server can handle it - and hopefully this will also reduce per-page ad counts as we rearrange our advertising space and eventually our entire page design to work around this more modern system.
The few things he's posted that have come up true always appeared someplace else first, which indicates that he's either doing more stringent corroboration of sources (unlikely, given his other posts, and my knowledge of him), or just reading other sites and pretending that he has sources too.

You are, of course, free to ignore what I'm saying, and pretend it isn't true. But, again, you will be wrong, and helping Meader make something resembling a living off your inability to distinguish fact from fiction.

Sarc
Mac Elite
Apr 16, 2003, 02:53 PM

That's mostly because he states the obvious ..
MOSR.com
<sarcasm>
- iPod updates expected in the future.
- iBook updates expected in the future too.
- Pather to be demoed at WWDC. It will be a very impressive update. It will cost $129
</sarcasm>

and so on and so forth ...
i remeber when I read in mosr.com that the G5 was almost ready ... and that was accompanied by impressive specs. and it said that cisco would also use them for their hugh end routers ...
that was a couple of years ago.
:: frankenstein / lcd-less TiBook / 1GHz / radeon 9000 64MB / 1GB RAM / w/ext. 250GB fw drive / noname usb bluetooth dongle / d-link usb 2.0 pcmcia card / X.5.8
:: unibody macbook pro / 2.4 Ghz C2D / 6GB RAM / dell 2407wfp - X.6.3

Nonsuch
Professional Poster
Apr 16, 2003, 03:08 PM

Originally posted by Sarc:

i remeber when I read in mosr.com that the G5 was almost ready ... and that was accompanied by impressive specs. and it said that cisco would also use them for their hugh end routers ...
that was a couple of years ago.
Not that I want to defend MOSR per se, but just because something doesn't come to pass doesn't mean it wasn't true when it was reported. There are lots of rumors to suggest that Motorola's G5 was in prototype and very near completion when it was killed.
Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them.

-- Frederick Douglass, 1857

Metzen
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 16, 2003, 03:33 PM

Originally posted by Nonsuch:
Not that I want to defend MOSR per se, but just because something doesn't come to pass doesn't mean it wasn't true when it was reported. There are lots of rumors to suggest that Motorola's G5 was in prototype and very near completion when it was killed.
There is a big difference from make-believe to reality as well. When the G4's were first released MOSR reported that motorola had, specifically, "2" G4 chips running at 1GHZ and one at 1.2GHZ or some other.

heh, that was gosh darn funny. Reality??? I think not...
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction.
E. F. Schumacher

Forum Links
Forum Rules