Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > would a g3 be enough computer?

would a g3 be enough computer?
atomico37
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 30, 2003, 01:27 PM

looking at getting a new ipod which will take money away from my computer fund. i was on ebay and saw a whole bunch of g3 b&w's for cheap. all i need to do with it is web surfing, word processing and some light video editing. most of all i need it to be able to run jaguar. i am going to load it up with memory as well.

would a g3 do me right?

cocamix
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 30, 2003, 01:37 PM

A B&W G3 would be perfect for those uses.

dwalls32
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 30, 2003, 02:22 PM

Before you buy off EBay, check your local community college now. Classes are ending and people are dumping machines. I am buying a (my first mac actually ) Mac B&W G3 w/ 192 megs of ram and the box w/discs for $175 after work today. That's a much better price than anything I have seen on EBay. Just went to the school and asked the graphic design teacher. I, like you, only want to do some light stuff on this. I am buying a 17" powerbook in July for school, but I couldn't wait to use OSX. Good luck!

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Apr 30, 2003, 03:06 PM

Originally posted by atomico37:
looking at getting a new ipod which will take money away from my computer fund. i was on ebay and saw a whole bunch of g3 b&w's for cheap. all i need to do with it is web surfing, word processing and some light video editing. most of all i need it to be able to run jaguar. i am going to load it up with memory as well.

would a g3 do me right?
At the moment I run an iBook G3 466 SE as my 'road' machine. It has 350 odd of RAM, and only has Jaguar on board.

It performs all jobs you mention without complaint... (even with the sloooowww Hard drive in it!)

I would say a B&W G3 would be a good buy...

Peace,

Marc

ThisGuy
Mac Elite
Apr 30, 2003, 03:21 PM

if i may add.... the B&W G3 has been treating me quite well. last night i overclocked the 450mhz to 500 and added a second HD. my next step is to put a CDRW in there and then i will be set. btw, i got it for the fabulous price of $0.00. it is my bet computer bargain yet. http://www.xlr8yourmac.com has TONS of information that can help you get the most out of it.

GORDYmac
Mac Elite
Apr 30, 2003, 04:25 PM

You're starting behind the ball if you buy a 3-4 year old computer now. Though you may not see any need for more power now, that will change when you get the computer. Why not buy a Rio and put that iPod money towards a newer computer?

For video editing, alone, I'd go with a G4. If you throw DVD editing into the fray (the next logical step), you'll need a G4. DVD playing while websurfing, writing, etc, also requires a G4 for decent quality.

While G3 -> G4 upgrades are out there, they would cost what you would probably shell out for a baseline G4 now. A 2001 (800MHz DP, 933MHz, 1GHz DP) G4 could probably be had for around $1300 on up these days. The 933 was around $1699 this time last year.

Good luck. Check www.smalldog.com instead of eBay. Those auctions get out of hand.

Here's one:
http://www.smalldog.com/product/41584

atomico37  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 30, 2003, 06:36 PM

i appreciate your speedy replies. i can't wait to get another mac, even if it years old. and if i need to do any heavy video editing or dvd burning i can always use my old fp imac. i sold it to one of my best friends girlfriend. she needed something to watch her ani dvd's on. i already have a monitor and a lacie 200 gig firewire harddrive.

thanks again

bradoesch
Professional Poster
May 1, 2003, 01:57 PM

If you do get a B&W G3, make sure it's a revision 2 model. The revision 1 had issues with data corruption.

cocamix
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 1, 2003, 02:44 PM

The Rev 1 themselves didn't have a problem with Data corruption, just the IDE controller. Get a new PCI controller and you're good to go.

bradoesch
Professional Poster
May 2, 2003, 01:15 PM

Originally posted by cocamix:
The Rev 1 themselves didn't have a problem with Data corruption, just the IDE controller. Get a new PCI controller and you're good to go.
That's what I said, wasn't it? I guess I didn't specially say it was the IDE controller, I said it was a problem with the machine. But still, wouldn't it make sense to get a rev. 2 and not have to buy a new IDE controller?

atomico37  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 4, 2003, 12:28 PM

how do i tell the diff between a revision 1 and a revision 2?

like on ebay.

would the later powermacs like the 400 mhz be a revision 2?

Chinasaur
Senior User
May 4, 2003, 03:10 PM

http://www.lowendmac.com/ppc/g3c.shtml

Contains info on determining mobo Rev. Ask seller to provide info.

Luck.
iMac - Late 2015 iMac, 32GB RAM
MacBook - 2010 MacBook, 1TB SSD, 16GB RAM

Forum Links
Forum Rules