Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Good third party wireless router for OSX?

Good third party wireless router for OSX?
kman42
Professional Poster
Apr 12, 2003, 02:00 PM

My friend wants to set up a wired/wireless network in his house, but doesn't want to spend the cash on a Basestation.

He wants a wireless hub with at least one LAN port to connect to his G4. It needs to connect to his cable modem and act as a router for that G4 plus a wireless device elsewhere in the house. He needs to be able to configure the router from his Mac, including the initial setup so that it can interact with his cable modem. Any suggestions? What about one of the linksys routers? I can't tell from their website how well they work with Macs for configuration.

kman

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Apr 12, 2003, 02:13 PM

we just got a netgear mr814, $50 plus rebate at buy.com.

running a mac & 2 pcs off a network card on one pc, with a cable modem.

set up the router, easy.

now i'm wireless on my powerbook while my roomie runs around with her *shudder* vaio
(its actually really nice)

great deal and works great!
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

tsheley
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 12, 2003, 04:47 PM

I have the same Netgear and it works great with my iBook and Airport.
1.6ghz G5 Power Mac/1.5GB RAM/Superdrive

Big T
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 12, 2003, 05:03 PM

Depends if you want an 802.11b or g. I would recommend a D-link DI-614 (60-70 bucks after rebate) for a 802.11b. I just got a Linksys G series wireless router that works great with Airport Extreme (125-150 bucks).

The D-link router actually comes with PC+Mac instructions, but not the Linksys. Its easy enough to set up if you know what your doing. Linksys doesn't really support Macs officially.

natan
Forum Regular
Apr 12, 2003, 05:09 PM

D-Link 614+, working great. Long range, instant setup, $50, no issues so far (I've had it about 1-2 months).

vmpaul
Professional Poster
Apr 12, 2003, 05:10 PM

I'll second, or 3rd, that NetGear suggestion. I have the MR814. Was extremely easy to setup, works flawlessly with my desktop, iBook, and Windows laptop. Great price too.

The only downside is not having the ability to hide the broadcast signal. But that is very minor. I have 128bit, MAC address restriction and I rotate my password every month.

Those guys are going public soon. I'm even thinking of buying some stock. Good product.

brachiator
Mac Elite
Apr 12, 2003, 05:16 PM

Can't beat the NetGear on price, but I've had the old Linksys 4-port/Wireless router for about half a year now (802.11b, I think its model BEF1154 v2), and it is great. I recall no problems w/ set up, except for an issue with upgrading the firmware (web browser upload hangs, have to use MacSFTP). I used to have one running at my dad's house as well, with the wireless for access on my Pbook, and one of the several e-net ports for his old PC.

arekkusu
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 12, 2003, 05:42 PM

Another vote for the Netgear MR-814. Braindead easy to set up, four ports for wired machines. Web interface is much nicer than the D-Link's.

pimephalis
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 12, 2003, 05:47 PM

Originally posted by brachiator:
Can't beat the NetGear on price, but I've had the old Linksys 4-port/Wireless router for about half a year now (802.11b, I think its model BEF1154 v2), and it is great. I recall no problems w/ set up, except for an issue with upgrading the firmware (web browser upload hangs, have to use MacSFTP). I used to have one running at my dad's house as well, with the wireless for access on my Pbook, and one of the several e-net ports for his old PC.
I have to second this. I have had the linksys running for 10 months now, and it is an absolute dream. All configuration and setup is done through the web browser, so no matter the OS you're using you can work with it wonderfully.
Swimming upstream since 1994.

spiff41398
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 7, 2003, 09:08 PM

Originally posted by arekkusu:
Another vote for the Netgear MR-814. Braindead easy to set up, four ports for wired machines. Web interface is much nicer than the D-Link's.
Unfortunately, the Netgear MR814 v2 is incompatible with my 12" PB and Airport Extreme. It works flawlessly with the older Airport cards though.

aaanorton
Mac Elite
Jun 7, 2003, 11:50 PM

Originally posted by spiff41398:
Unfortunately, the Netgear MR814 v2 is incompatible with my 12" PB and Airport Extreme. It works flawlessly with the older Airport cards though.
More details please. It's an 802.11b router, so it doesn't do g, but it should still connect to an AE PB.

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 8, 2003, 12:06 AM

I use a Linksys. Works fine as long as you plan to do NAT. Doesn't do AppleTalk but that's pretty much dead anyway. Easy to set up, good range, works well.

mark9939
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 8, 2003, 12:52 AM

I have a Netgear MR314, and love it. I don't know if its made anymore, though. No setup required, plug it in and go. I have it running to 4 wired and no wireless right now.
MBP 1.83 GHz CD/iPod 30GB

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jun 8, 2003, 01:21 AM

Originally posted by Xeo:
I use a Linksys. Works fine as long as you plan to do NAT. Doesn't do AppleTalk but that's pretty much dead anyway. Easy to set up, good range, works well.
AppleTalk works just fine across our LinkSys. All the connected machines plus the 802.11g - equipped PowerBook are able to print to the AppleTalk printer just fine. I've played a few games of Marathon over it, too. Works like a charm...

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

leffo
Forum Regular
Jun 8, 2003, 10:46 AM

I'll chime in and give the Netgear 814 another vote. I'm very satisfied with mine and especially with the range. And you can't beat the price!

NeilCharter
Senior User
Jun 8, 2003, 11:08 AM

Has anyone else had a problem with Netgear routers havng to be reset frequently.

Often for me (with my MR314) the network goes down and I have to go through the set up procedure to get it back up again.

I haven't used the wireless capability yet - waiting for the new midsize pbs to be released.
If I had a signature, it would look something like this

aaanorton
Mac Elite
Jun 8, 2003, 12:31 PM

Originally posted by CharlesS:
AppleTalk works just fine across our LinkSys. All the connected machines plus the 802.11g - equipped PowerBook are able to print to the AppleTalk printer just fine.
Linksys DOES NOT bridge AppleTalk from wired to wireless on their routers.

Hornet
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 8, 2003, 07:18 PM

Originally posted by NeilCharter:
Has anyone else had a problem with Netgear routers havng to be reset frequently.

Often for me (with my MR314) the network goes down and I have to go through the set up procedure to get it back up again.

I haven't used the wireless capability yet - waiting for the new midsize pbs to be released.
Yeah I have had this problem with my MR814... any word on it from netgear?

mark9939
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 8, 2003, 08:21 PM

Yes, the only thing that bugs me about my 314. To fix it, I unplug it and plug it back it... seems to do the trick, but it gets annyoing.
MBP 1.83 GHz CD/iPod 30GB

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jun 8, 2003, 08:35 PM

Originally posted by aaanorton:
Tell that to my LinkSys. To be honest, I don't know why this is working, but I can't argue with results. I am right now staring at a page I printed from a 12" PowerBook to an AppleTalk-only LaserWriter IIg which is connected to a LinkSys Wireless-G Broadband Router (model no. WRT54G). It says, "I just printed this page using AppleTalk over AirPort using a LinkSys 802.11g wireless router."

I can also connect from the PowerBook (wireless) to a File Sharing server on an old iMac (wired) running OS 9, which has File Sharing turned on and "Allow users to connect via TCP/IP" turned OFF. So it has to be AppleTalk. Also, I can run Marathon Infinity 1.5 on the old iMac, and run another copy on the PB 12" in Classic, and they are able to see each other and start a network game. It works just fine. And I'm pretty sure that any non-Aleph One version of Marathon is AppleTalk-only.

Again, I have no idea why this works. It just does. Maybe LinkSys has changed something with the latest version of their router (this unit is brand new). As you can probably understand, I'm a little scared to ever update the firmware if a new version comes out.
( Last edited by CharlesS; Jun 8, 2003 at 08:41 PM. )

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Telusman
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 8, 2003, 08:59 PM

<rant>

Guys like the one quoted below are the insecure networks of the world... highly disturbing. Just because it works with 0 configuration doesnt mean you should use it as such.

</rant>

I use a Linksys Wireless router, includes 4 wired segments and a wireless segment. Setup is dead simple, even some of its more "complex" features are a snap to get working. Currently running a 128 bit secure network, works well for both Windows and Mac machines, good range, extensible little box. I have been very pleased with it's performance since i bought it a year or so ago.

-Telusman

Originally posted by mark9939:
I have a Netgear MR314, and love it. I don't know if its made anymore, though. No setup required, plug it in and go. I have it running to 4 wired and no wireless right now.
"No ma'am i'm not angry at you, I'm angry at the cruel twist of fate that directed your call to my extension..."

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jun 8, 2003, 09:15 PM

Originally posted by Telusman:
I use a Linksys Wireless router, includes 4 wired segments and a wireless segment. Setup is dead simple, even some of its more "complex" features are a snap to get working. Currently running a 128 bit secure network, works well for both Windows and Mac machines, good range, extensible little box. I have been very pleased with it's performance since i bought it a year or so ago.
Could you try running something having to do with AppleTalk over it and tell me if it works? I'd like to know if it's just me...

Telusman
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 8, 2003, 09:25 PM

Appletalk works fine, as long as it's not Pre OS 9. (OS 9 appletalk uses TCP IP as a transport medium) OS X Appletalk (AFP over TCP/IP) works great. Im connected to my server at all times.

Could you try running something having to do with AppleTalk over it and tell me if it works? I'd like to know if it's just me...
"No ma'am i'm not angry at you, I'm angry at the cruel twist of fate that directed your call to my extension..."

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jun 8, 2003, 09:31 PM

Appletalk works fine, as long as it's not Pre OS 9. (OS 9 appletalk uses TCP IP as a transport medium) OS X Appletalk (AFP over TCP/IP) works great. Im connected to my server at all times.
Interesting... I did not know that OS 9's AppleTalk used TCP/IP. Is this backward-compatible with older systems or something? Because I can print to the LaserWriter IIg, which is way pre-OS 9; it was introduced in 1991, which would have been the System 7 era...

aaanorton
Mac Elite
Jun 8, 2003, 09:55 PM

Interesting... I did not know that OS 9's AppleTalk used TCP/IP. Is this backward-compatible with older systems or something? Because I can print to the LaserWriter IIg, which is way pre-OS 9; it was introduced in 1991, which would have been the System 7 era...
How is the printer physically connected to the LAN?

Telusman
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 8, 2003, 09:58 PM

Yes, it's fully backwards compatible. It's a TCP/IP medium but its still Appletalk in the way devices are discovered and talked to as far as i know. I know is that it reads as a TCP/IP port and it's worked through the router. ( I do beleive OS X has a few issues dealing with OS 9 machines ) but OS 7.1- 9.2 can communicate fully (slower on older Os's due to overhead) , even through TCP/IP. (which is why the file sharing on OS 9 has a box that says allow sharing over TCP/IP)

-Telusman

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jun 8, 2003, 10:01 PM

How is the printer physically connected to the LAN?
It has an Apple Ethernet Twisted-Pair Transceiver (model no. M0437) plugged into the AAUI port (I told you this printer was old). From there, there is an ordinary Category 5 patch cable going from the transceiver to the LinkSys router.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure when the transceiver was made. But I'm pretty sure it's pre-OS 9...

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jun 8, 2003, 10:02 PM

Yes, it's fully backwards compatible. It's a TCP/IP medium but its still Appletalk in the way devices are discovered and talked to as far as i know. I know is that it reads as a TCP/IP port and it's worked through the router. ( I do beleive OS X has a few issues dealing with OS 9 machines ) but OS 7.1- 9.2 can communicate fully (slower on older Os's due to overhead) , even through TCP/IP. (which is why the file sharing on OS 9 has a box that says allow sharing over TCP/IP)

-Telusman
But I'm able to connect to the OS 9 server from the wireless PowerBook even with the 'allow sharing over TCP/IP' box is unchecked on the 9 machine.

aaanorton
Mac Elite
Jun 8, 2003, 10:05 PM

And how is it added in Print Center? Is it under AppleTalk or LPR? Try adding it again to double-check.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jun 8, 2003, 10:12 PM

And how is it added in Print Center? Is it under AppleTalk or LPR? Try adding it again to double-check.
Deleted it, added it again in Print Center. The add button takes a really long time to find everything - it beachballs for a while. When it finishes, the printer shows up - under AppleTalk. Add it, print to it, works beautifully.

Telusman
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 8, 2003, 10:22 PM

You probably have "Appletalk Enabled" on your network preferences in OS X. it allows native appletalk browsing.

-Telusman

But I'm able to connect to the OS 9 server from the wireless PowerBook even with the 'allow sharing over TCP/IP' box is unchecked on the 9 machine.

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 8, 2003, 10:25 PM

Deleted it, added it again in Print Center. The add button takes a really long time to find everything - it beachballs for a while. When it finishes, the printer shows up - under AppleTalk. Add it, print to it, works beautifully.
Maybe it doesn't work through the WAN port (I am plugged into my college network via the WAN port and my iBook gets a NAT IP). Or, maybe it doesn't work even on the LAN side when there are multiple AppleTalk zones. My college has several and they don't show up even when I'm not going through the WAN port. Or maybe it's because you have the G model which is newer than my B model.

It's really hard to say. I'll do some more tests and see if I can get it working.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jun 8, 2003, 10:36 PM

You probably have "Appletalk Enabled" on your network preferences in OS X. it allows native appletalk browsing.
Yes, I have AppleTalk turned on on the OS X PowerBook. The point is that people are saying that AppleTalk doesn't work over a LinkSys router, which sounds reasonable since they don't officially support the Mac but nevertheless is contrary to my experience.

Maybe it doesn't work through the WAN port (I am plugged into my college network via the WAN port and my iBook gets a NAT IP). Or, maybe it doesn't work even on the LAN side when there are multiple AppleTalk zones. My college has several and they don't show up even when I'm not going through the WAN port. Or maybe it's because you have the G model which is newer than my B model.

It's really hard to say. I'll do some more tests and see if I can get it working.
That's a thought. Since we're set up with a cable modem here, there are no AppleTalk devices that we would be connecting to over the WAN. All the devices using AppleTalk are on the LAN.

If the LinkSys doesn't allow AppleTalk through the WAN port, that's actually a good thing - many sites say that AppleTalk should be turned off with a cable modem for security reasons, but we have to have it on because of this printer. If the LinkSys blocks AppleTalk from leaving the LAN, the problem is solved.

Telusman
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 8, 2003, 11:03 PM

Prior to OS X I used to be able to see all the Mac machines on my ISP's network (same subnet i was on) As long as i had port 548 i believe it is open on the router to allow the TCP encapsulated appletalk packets through. I have Port 548 open on my router to pass Wan Appletalk requests to my central storage, but as far as i know it cannot span subnets.

I might be talking out of my Arse for all i know, but i am going by personal experience and my networking background. PC networking is very set and laid out, but i've seen a few... idiosynchrosis (more than Pc's actually) when dealing with Mac networks and protocols that say this but do the exact contrary. So results may vary. im going by experience.

Please note that if u have a central server like I do, i have the port forwarded to it as i cannot see the internal network. So have a single server to serve off of. and if your connected to an AFP server (Os 9 and above) over a Wan (internet) you need to know its IP of course.

-Telusman

QUOTE]Originally posted by CharlesS:
Yes, I have AppleTalk turned on on the OS X PowerBook. The point is that people are saying that AppleTalk doesn't work over a LinkSys router, which sounds reasonable since they don't officially support the Mac but nevertheless is contrary to my experience.

That's a thought. Since we're set up with a cable modem here, there are no AppleTalk devices that we would be connecting to over the WAN. All the devices using AppleTalk are on the LAN.

If the LinkSys doesn't allow AppleTalk through the WAN port, that's actually a good thing - many sites say that AppleTalk should be turned off with a cable modem for security reasons, but we have to have it on because of this printer. If the LinkSys blocks AppleTalk from leaving the LAN, the problem is solved.
[/QUOTE]

aaanorton
Mac Elite
Jun 8, 2003, 11:11 PM

Well, this is a first. I have been told by 2nd level techs at Linksys that they had NO INTENTION OF EVER supporting AT bridging.
And you're definitely printing from a PB via 802.11? Well, all I can say is it's about damn time. I still don't thin I'll ever buy a Linksys, but I'm glad they finally got their act together.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jun 8, 2003, 11:25 PM

Well, this is a first. I have been told by 2nd level techs at Linksys that they had NO INTENTION OF EVER supporting AT bridging.
And you're definitely printing from a PB via 802.11? Well, all I can say is it's about damn time. I still don't thin I'll ever buy a Linksys, but I'm glad they finally got their act together.

I have no idea. All I know is that AppleTalk is working with my Linksys by some strange twist of fate, and I'm printing to an AT printer over 802.11g. Honest! What I'd really like to know is if anyone else who has the Linksys G router has this same experience or if my router just got visited by the AirPort fairy or something.

What I'm hoping is that the router doesn't, at some point, decide "Oh yeah, I forgot I'm a Linksys, AppleTalk shouldn't work over me" and then all of a sudden stop working...

Ron Goodman
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 9, 2003, 05:16 AM

More details please. It's an 802.11b router, so it doesn't do g, but it should still connect to an AE PB.
We found the same thing. The Airport Exteme cards are picky about which 3rd party router they will connect to.

starman
Clinically Insane
Jun 9, 2003, 08:39 AM

Bullsh*t. It's the only way I talk to my file server over both b and g.

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jun 9, 2003, 10:40 AM

First of all, this thread needs to go to Networking.

Second of all, there seems to be a TON of confusion between Apple Filing Protocol (AFP) and AppleTalk (and LocalTalk, for that matter).

LocalTalk is a physical network medium, namely Apple's old-school, pre-ethernet Mac networking.

AppleTalk, like TCP/IP, is a network protocol. LocalTalk supports only AppleTalk natively, while ethernet supports many protocols, simultaneously.

Apple Filing Protocol (AFP) is network volume protocol, which can run over AppleTalk or TCP/IP. Often referred to as AppleShare, after the name of the product that first introduced AFP (and the name of the AFP client included with classic Mac OS).

The AppleShare client included with Mac OS 8.6 and later is capable of connecting to AFP over TCP/IP, but it can be installed on some earlier OS versions as well. Earlier versions of Mac OS came with an AppleTalk-only version of the AppleShare client.

if you use AppleTalk browsing (e.g. AppleShare in the Chooser) to locate a server, it is up to the server to tell the client what protocol to use to connect. Mac OS 9 file sharing will not tell the computer that's connecting to use TCP/IP. AppleShare IP, on the other hand, is normally set to "prefer TCP/IP," so even if you browse using AppleTalk browsing, it'll actually make the connection using TCP/IP if available.

TCP/IP server browsing exists as well, in the Network Browser on classic Mac OS, and in OS X. I don't think it's quite as responsive and reliable as AppleTalk browsing, though. Hopefully Apple will make better use of Rendezvous to improve this.

Printing on AppleTalk uses a printing protocol called Printer Access Protocol (PAP).

(As an aside, both AppleTalk and TCP/IP packets can be encapsulated in a packet of the other type: TCP/IP encapsulated in AppleTalk, called MacIP, is used for Macs without ethernet, since their only networking -- LocalTalk -- only supports AppleTalk. Conversely, AppleTalk packets can be encapsulated in TCP/IP, in order to bridge networks over the internet. People used to do that to play Marathon [the first network multiplayer shooter game ever, which only supported AppleTalk] over the net!)

tooki

pumpkinapo
Jun 9, 2003, 11:28 AM

I've had similar problems. I've just been pulling the power cord and plugging it back in to restart the 614 I have.
Peter Leing
17" 1.67GHz PowerBook
450MHz G4 Cube

Scarpa
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 9, 2003, 07:27 PM

Doesn't sound like the Linksys techs you talked to know or care what Appletalk is. Since Appletalk is encapsulated within TCP/IP, as has been noted in this thread already, Linksys wouldn't have to lift a single finger to support it.

As far as it not working over the WAN port, that's because of NAT and the fact that Appletalk is supposed to be for a single subnet. Figure out the TCP port that Appletalk uses and forward it and it should work. As has also been noted in this thread, that port has apparently changed.

aaanorton
Mac Elite
Jun 9, 2003, 07:43 PM

Originally posted by Scarpa:
Doesn't sound like the Linksys techs you talked to know or care what Appletalk is. Since Appletalk is encapsulated within TCP/IP, as has been noted in this thread already, Linksys wouldn't have to lift a single finger to support it.
You're preachin to the choir, friend.
Just the same, Linksys is not alone in this. As has been discussed in this forum many times, AppleTalk is bridged on only a select few models by a couple manufacturers. Asante and D-Link are the two that I can think of. The rest do not (untill now). I have been, and remain, quite critical of Linksys for this. I'm certain that they have spent way more money explaining to their new, flabergasted customers that AT will not work than they would have by simply implementing it in the fist place. As the market leader, they would have set precedence, and others would have followed. Instead, they played games and cut corners. I'll never buy anything else of theirs.
As I haven't posted this lately, I'll say it again: I love my Asante wireless router. It is fully Mac compatible and has never given me any trouble.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jun 9, 2003, 09:00 PM

You're preachin to the choir, friend.
Just the same, Linksys is not alone in this. As has been discussed in this forum many times, AppleTalk is bridged on only a select few models by a couple manufacturers. Asante and D-Link are the two that I can think of. The rest do not (untill now). I have been, and remain, quite critical of Linksys for this. I'm certain that they have spent way more money explaining to their new, flabergasted customers that AT will not work than they would have by simply implementing it in the fist place. As the market leader, they would have set precedence, and others would have followed. Instead, they played games and cut corners. I'll never buy anything else of theirs.
As I haven't posted this lately, I'll say it again: I love my Asante wireless router. It is fully Mac compatible and has never given me any trouble.
But if AppleTalk is encapsulated in TCP/IP, as various people in this thread have stated and which my experience also seems to suggest, why should it matter at all if a router bridges AT? Our Linksys router already works fine with the AppleTalk network over here - what would an AppleTalk-bridging router do for us that the Linksys doesn't?

aaanorton
Mac Elite
Jun 9, 2003, 10:19 PM

... what would an AppleTalk-bridging router do for us that the Linksys doesn't?
Yours seems to bridge AT fine. If you can print wirelessly through it via AT, as you say, then that's that.
My question is "what the hell took 'em so long?". I also just checked Linksys' documentation for that unit. Nowhere does it list AT as a supported protocol. Give Linksys a call and ask them if AT is supported on this model. Wanna bet they'll tell you 'nope'? It sounds like you just got your router and I'm glad it works well for you, but this has been the topic of much debate and needless confusion here for the past 2 years. And now that they've seemingly resolved it, they don't tell anybody. Pffftt. I'd rather give my money to a company that respects my needs as a customer. Personal preference.

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 10, 2003, 06:58 PM

Well, I'm plugged in on the LAN side of my Linksys now and AT is still a no go. My iBook cannot see the AppleTalk network. When I plug into my Built-in ethernet (not going through the linksys), I get the proper zone. I wish I had a local AppleTalk printer to see if it would work.

Can anyone using a Linksys and on a multi-zone network please let us know one way or the other whether they can detect the zone or not?

I even found out what the Node ID and Network Number is that my Built-In ethernet detects, and configured my Airport AppleTalk manually with those numbers, and I still couldn't print to the AppleTalk printer in the basement.

Also, does anyone know how, if given an AppleTalk name (and assuming we can talk to the device already), I can find out the IP of that device? This would be useful information.

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 10, 2003, 07:03 PM

what would an AppleTalk-bridging router do for us that the Linksys doesn't?
Apparently, auto-detection is the key. At least, that's my assumption. Since your devices are all on the default zone, they don't have to look very far for the device and it must work properly.

So I don't think Linksys got their act together. I just think AT works if you only have 1 zone.

aaanorton
Mac Elite
Jun 10, 2003, 07:24 PM

So I don't think Linksys got their act together. I just think AT works if you only have 1 zone.
I don't think this is it. I spent some time with a Linksys wireless router, 2 Macs and a HP LJ 6MP. AT on the wired side worked fine. Wireless was impossible. Are you using the same model as mentioned above? Same firmware?

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 10, 2003, 08:12 PM

I don't think this is it. I spent some time with a Linksys wireless router, 2 Macs and a HP LJ 6MP. AT on the wired side worked fine. Wireless was impossible. Are you using the same model as mentioned above? Same firmware?
BEFW11S4, latest firmware. I haven't tried AT through the wired side. Let me give it a shot. I'll post back my results.

[edit: by golly, it certainly does work over the wired connection. Now if I could only get it to work over the wireless I'd be home free. I wouldn't even need this switch in my room 'cause the Linksys would do that for me (kinda the point, I know...)]

On a side note, has anyone here used a D-Link wireless router? How are they on AppleTalk support. They have a $10 rebate on their b model and a $20 on their g. I'm thinking of eBaying my linksys for the D-link, if D-link has Appletalk support. I'll only end up spending $10-20 for a D-link when all is said and done. I have more D-link related questions if someone here has experience with them. (Secifically the DI-624 or the DI-614+)
( Last edited by Xeo; Jun 10, 2003 at 08:19 PM. )

gbhgbh
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 10, 2003, 09:12 PM

Getting back to the Netgear MR814, I bought one a few days ago. The first day everything worked fine, but on the second day I couldn't get wireless connections from either Powerbooks or Thinkpads. I searched through a few Netgear forums and it seems that it's hit or miss between people getting a router that works perfectly and a router that goes down on a regular basis. The Netgear support site recommends downloading their latest firmware, which I did, and now my router works fine. If the new firmware doesn't solve your problems, try exchanging it for a new router.

I could find only the firmware for the regular MR814 on Netgear's web site
http://www.netgear.com/support/suppo...asp?dnldID=317

However if you have the MR814v2 be sure to use this file instead of the above:
http://www.schoolpool.at/mr814v2_upgrade.zip

miwok
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 12, 2003, 08:56 PM

I've also been considering a D-Link router, more specifically, the DI-614+. I know there have been some problems with 3rd party wireless routers and Airport Extreme cards so I was wondering if anyone had experience with this router and AE cards.

Thanks,

Miwok

On a side note, has anyone here used a D-Link wireless router? How are they on AppleTalk support. They have a $10 rebate on their b model and a $20 on their g. I'm thinking of eBaying my linksys for the D-link, if D-link has Appletalk support. I'll only end up spending $10-20 for a D-link when all is said and done. I have more D-link related questions if someone here has experience with them. (Secifically the DI-624 or the DI-614+) [/B]

Forum Links
Forum Rules