Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > New iBook...woohoo

New iBook...woohoo
g4baker
Forum Regular
Jul 31, 2003, 07:16 PM

I ordered an iBook 800 MHz/384 MB RAM/30 GB HD/Combo Drive/12.1 inch screen, and it's on it's way. For current iBook owners: how do you like it? Is the screen ok (I had issues buying one because I was worried the screen was too small)? Just post any random facts/downloads/ideas, etc. Thanks!
Aaron Baker
Seburn Marketing Solutions
acebake[at]charter.net

HotSoup
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 31, 2003, 07:19 PM

...wow

Screen size is perfect in my opinion. Makes it very light. and this is coming from a guy that is used to a 19" monitor.

awaspaas
Mac Elite
Jul 31, 2003, 08:49 PM

the small ibook is the perfect form factor in my opinion - just the right size for a bookbag. the screen is a nice size, definitely readable. you'll be very happy with your purchase.

MSME
Jul 31, 2003, 08:54 PM

Congratulations on your purchase. Even though the iBook is continually bashed for using a G3, it's a wonderful machine. I was trying for the longest time to justify dumping my iBook for a 12" PB, but I just couldn't find an area where it was deficient -- I even do some light Photoshop stuff with it and it's acceptable even though it's much slower than the PB in that area.

Check to make sure your combo drive writes at 16x when you get it, as a lot of 800's seem to have combo drives that only want to write CD-R's at 4x.

I would recommend the ever-popular monitor spanning hack, if you've got a spare display lying around -- that'll give you plenty of space when you're sitting at your desk. I don't find the 12.1" display to be at all hard on my eyes when I'm using my iBook away from my desk
Black MacBook C2D 2.0 Ghz, stock, Powerbook 15" 1Ghz (Al), iPhone 8 GB

robot
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 31, 2003, 09:05 PM

Mine is the 14.1 800 mhz, 40 gig I love it!!

Congrats on your new baby
\ /
[..]

MartiNZ
Senior User
Aug 1, 2003, 02:23 AM

I've got the 800MHz 12" as well and have no real complaints . I do have it with 640MB RAM though, which you may find yourself wanting even though you might not think so.

About the comparison to the 12" PB, having seen one and used it once or twice, I'd have to say the only things I'm jealous of are the keyboard - I have a few keys that squeak annoyingly on my iBook but I can't imagine the PB having that from the feel of those keys; and the speakers - the positioning seems quite weird at first but the sound just jumps off the screen and sounds much more surround-like and less metalic.

Apart from those things I prefer the iBook - the plastic lip on the 12" PB really takes away from the aluminium style, and it seems a bit heavier at the front which is annoying.

So, in the absence of a hybrid design I think we've got about the best there is .

lukash_kasha
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 1, 2003, 05:27 AM

the iBook is a gorgeous machine. Mine 600MHz, 640 MB RAM even copes with Logic and Reaktor... Ha! You'll be very happy with yours.

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Aug 1, 2003, 06:45 AM

Congrats! the iBook is IMHO the perfect 'small' laptop...

Great battery life, great quality, and cool (in both senses of the word!)... I'm sure you'll br very impressed by it...

Peace,

Marc

mpbnl8182
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 1, 2003, 08:20 AM

I have the 800 MHz model (CDROM only, as I would have wasted the money spent earlier on a firewire burner). I absolutely love it. It's fast enough for daily tasks, and I've been playing Warcraft on it, and it seems to be doing fine. It's great for portability too. I can't wait to bring it back to school this semester.

MP
Officially Windows Free as of 7/23/03

iBook 800
B&W G4 400

arnette
Forum Regular
Aug 1, 2003, 11:09 AM

I love my 12" ibook. I too was worried about the screen size but it has never been an issue after I began using it. The damn thing is so portable that you can lie down on the couch and email your friends with the ibook on your chest. No problems with heat or anything.
iBook 12" 900Mhz

NYCFarmboy
Mac Elite
Aug 1, 2003, 11:51 AM

I've used a 500 mhz white ibook for almost 2 years now... and I absolutely love it.

I have the 12" model. The screen size is much better than what was on the clamshell ibooks.

I have recently purchased a orange ibook clamshell model on ebay as sort of an extra computer..and was surprised at how much smaller the screen was compared to the current ibooks.

So.. don't; fret.. the screen size is very nice.. and the 12" is perfect for airplanes, backpacks.. just make sure you put your name and address on the bottom of it on a sticker or something so that when you travel through airports if you forget it you can get it back.

I'd never think I'd forget my ibook, but I did once.. but I had my name on the bottom and they announced on the airport PA system and I got my baby back.

So.. put your name on it and address and phone number.

g4baker  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 1, 2003, 12:18 PM

Wow...thanks so much for the replies! I'm glad everyone took the time to read it. I'm really excited! Thanks again!

PS-Have you ever noticed that people are always bashing the iBook? It's really annoying!
Aaron Baker
acebake[at]charter.net

catzilla1228
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 1, 2003, 01:30 PM

I just found a demo 12.1" 800/combo last night. I even got a deal at CompUSA of all places.
I'm still using my Ti, the iBook was a replacement for the clamshell that was destroyed over the course of a month.
I can understand why people rave about these things, very nice machine.

Conscript
Aug 1, 2003, 03:02 PM

just picked one up myself...very nice laptop.
iBook G3 800 MHz/640mb RAM/30 GB HD/CDROM/Airport/12.1" LCD

g4baker  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 1, 2003, 09:06 PM

Thank you to everyone who has posted! I got it at 1:15 today and I absolutely love it! So far, I can't find a single thing wrong with it! 800 MHz is amazingly fast for everything I do....hope everyone that picked up iBooks at the same time as me are enjoying them as well!
Aaron Baker
acebake[at]charter.net

lipstick.smears
Aug 2, 2003, 05:02 AM

Yeah when I switched to mac from pc, I was running a 2.0 pentium 4 and was worried about going to a 800 mhz g3 but I really do not notice a bit of difference. Hope you have fun with your new toy

Forum Links
Forum Rules