Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Which digital camera matches the 17" PowerBook best?

Which digital camera matches the 17" PowerBook best?
tritonus
Senior User
Aug 27, 2003, 05:53 AM

Another little poll for you. I'm looking for a digital camera:

- should have 3 Megapix
- should be light and thin
- should have a basic zoom
- design to match my PowerBook (Alu)
- must support iPhoto and OS X
- optional: Bluetooth interface

Thanks for your suggestions!
SwitCHerland, Europe
17" PowerBook 1GHz | WaterField SleeveCase | LaCie d2 250GB | AirPort Extreme BS, AirPort Express | iPod photo 60GB

nsxpower
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 27, 2003, 05:56 AM

Canon SD400
My Blog & Photos
PowerBook (Ti) 1Ghz � 1Gb � 60Gb � SD

tritonus  (op)
Senior User
Aug 27, 2003, 06:01 AM

Originally posted by nsxpower:
Canon SD400
Thanks! Oh no, I just saw Canon USA has other model names than Canon Europe.

Europe: Canon Digital IXUS xxx
USA: PowerShot Sxxx (didn't find an SD model though)

Hope the specs are the same. Silly marketing.
SwitCHerland, Europe
17" PowerBook 1GHz | WaterField SleeveCase | LaCie d2 250GB | AirPort Extreme BS, AirPort Express | iPod photo 60GB

pjmurphy
Forum Regular
Aug 27, 2003, 06:52 AM

Originally posted by tritonus:
Another little poll for you. I'm looking for a digital camera:

- should have 3 Megapix
- design to match my PowerBook (Alu)
- optional: Bluetooth interface

Thanks for your suggestions!
Thats easy.. Canon Powershot S230. Fits your specs perfectly..

I have had this model and my wife has the S200.. we love them...
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
www.brandthunder.com
15" MBP
2 nanos (blk, red)
8GB iPhone
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

mc786030
Aug 27, 2003, 07:43 AM

Pentax Optio S

This thing kicks ass, same size as a pack of cards.

Crusoe
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 27, 2003, 07:46 AM

I have an Elph (Powershot) 230 too, get the 400 if you have the money.
The IXUS and Elphs have the same specs but button and control placement is a bit different.
I've used mine for about 4 months with my TiBook 500Mhz without a glitch.

Link
Professional Poster
Aug 27, 2003, 08:29 AM

Geez like it really matters. *drools at the thought of a $400 camera*

*looks at his hp 320 and cries*
Aloha

Nawus
Forum Regular
Aug 27, 2003, 09:00 AM

Canon PowerShot S400 digital elph.

tritonus  (op)
Senior User
Aug 27, 2003, 09:04 AM

Originally posted by mc786030:
Pentax Optio S

That one looks promising. I'm considering Canon, Casio and Pentax now.

Additional features for my wish list:
- nice to have: supports iChat AV video mode (FireWire or USB hack)
- wide-angle zoom range more important than tele zoom range
SwitCHerland, Europe

tritonus  (op)
Senior User
Aug 27, 2003, 09:09 AM

Originally posted by Crusoe:
The IXUS and Elphs have the same specs but button and control placement is a bit different.
I see.

I guess, PowerShot S230 equals Digital Ixus II, right?
SwitCHerland, Europe

tritonus  (op)
Senior User
Aug 27, 2003, 09:11 AM

Originally posted by Nawus:
Canon PowerShot S400 digital elph.
Is it worth going for the S400 or would is S230 the better value for money?
SwitCHerland, Europe

todrain
Senior User
Aug 27, 2003, 09:19 AM

S400 is pretty awesome. The 230 is good too, but the SD100 is basically a 230 that takes SD cards. Go for the newer technology!

vdrummer
Forum Regular
Aug 27, 2003, 11:23 AM

I'm up to over 1,200 photos with my Nikon 4500 after shooting prints & slides for years. Outstanding features for me are 1) swivel design, 2) light metering, 3) sharp focus and 4) movie recording with sound. included software is OS X compatible - in fact, I like Nikon View better than iPhoto, which is slow and hogs disk space with it's filing system.

It's black, so if when you say "match powerbook design", you mean that it should look like your powerbook, this might not work. bluetooth interface is useless with digicams, I believe, because of slow transfer speeds. copying 500 photos from my 1 Gb CF card probably wouldn't be fun.

don't forget: extra battery and large capacity card if you think you might like to shoot a bunch of photos at once.

suggestion: checkout http://steves-digicams.com for objective and thorough reviews.

Nawus
Forum Regular
Aug 27, 2003, 11:25 AM

Is it worth going for the S400 or would is S230 the better value for money?
go with the S400, longer battery life if anything. SD100 is not bad if you want SD but I'm very happy with the S400 using CF cards.

SEkker
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 27, 2003, 11:39 AM

I loved our S100. We took 1000s of terrific photos with it. It was a sad day this spring when we lost it.

After extensive review of available cameras (inlcuding the Pentax), I replaced it with an S400. The camera is so easy to carry around, takes fabulous pictures, and seems indestructible. The Pentax build seems more cheaply made to me, and the zoom feature does not work at all in movie mode.

The new Canon A80 is larger than the Elph line but is packed with features. I did not go with its available and quite talented relative (the A70) because the color fidelity is quite as nice as the S400 (but still better than the Sony cameras). And the extra weight meant it was harder to fit the camera in my pocket.

NYCFarmboy
Mac Elite
Aug 27, 2003, 01:26 PM

S230 beats the 400 for video.

The S230 will shoot 640x480 video at about 30 second clips.

It is just an awesome companion to iMovie. It is so incredilby easy to throw together a music video using the S230.

The 400 model does NOT shoot at the 640x480 resolution for video. So the image would be blurred/fuzzy.

I was all set to get the 400 and was SHOCKED that the movie format was lower quality than what is on the S230.

I think the high quality movie mode on the S230 and how well it works in iMovie is one of the best kept secrets out there in terms of making digital movies.

tritonus  (op)
Senior User
Aug 27, 2003, 04:17 PM

Originally posted by NYCFarmboy:
S230 beats the 400 for video.

The S230 will shoot 640x480 video at about 30 second clips.

It is just an awesome companion to iMovie. It is so incredilby easy to throw together a music video using the S230.

The 400 model does NOT shoot at the 640x480 resolution for video. So the image would be blurred/fuzzy.

I was all set to get the 400 and was SHOCKED that the movie format was lower quality than what is on the S230.

I think the high quality movie mode on the S230 and how well it works in iMovie is one of the best kept secrets out there in terms of making digital movies.
That's an interesting point, thanks! I didn't know that S400 had a week point compared to S230.

What do you use a 30 sec video for though?

Have you tried the movie function in iChat AV (USB hack)?
SwitCHerland, Europe

Crusoe
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 27, 2003, 05:28 PM

I see.

I guess, PowerShot S230 equals Digital Ixus II, right?
Yeah I think so, but they have a v3 that is 3.2 MP too.

Also for video modes many digital cameras are limited to 30 seconds while the Elphs are only limited to memory. I used mine to record a song from a travelling Irish band who stumbled in the pub we were at and started playing, in 320 by 240. It's a wonderful feature and the sound is acceptable.

With a 1GB CF card I could get 14 minutes in 640 by 480 and a whopping 2+ hours in 160 by 120 both with sound.

Not bad for a camara that you have no excuse not to keep in your pocket.

romeosc
Mac Elite
Aug 27, 2003, 09:29 PM

I love my Olympus D550 Zoom 3 megapixel!

Looks like it was made for TiPB

OSX recognizes it without a problem. Iphoto reads it and I also use a PCMCIA card reader so I don't have to use my camera's battery

Takes great Pictures Too!

xylon
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 28, 2003, 02:25 PM

I have a DimageX first generation. I love it and I know that the newer models have even better features. Check it out.

^Thanks to sealobo
Viva le ScrollWheel!

jia_zhuang
Aug 28, 2003, 02:38 PM

don't buy a camera to match ur powerbook, buy it to satisfie your photographic needs. i'd go with a digital SLR like the canon ESO10D in a heart beat if I had the cash. i want quick shutter response from when i press the trigger to when it takes the photo shouldn't take more than 1 second, and the less is better for me. battery and storage is important too, resolution is trivial unless u will be doing tasks requireing such resolution, for everyday use like home use I normally use just 1 mega pixel on fine mode. if ur just a casual user then don't spend hundreds on a camera which u won't need, spend hundreds only if ur doing specific work.

killer_735
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 28, 2003, 02:47 PM

Originally posted by jia_zhuang:
don't buy a camera to match ur powerbook, buy it to satisfie your photographic needs. i'd go with a digital SLR like the canon ESO10D in a heart beat if I had the cash. i want quick shutter response from when i press the trigger to when it takes the photo shouldn't take more than 1 second, and the less is better for me. battery and storage is important too, resolution is trivial unless u will be doing tasks requireing such resolution, for everyday use like home use I normally use just 1 mega pixel on fine mode. if ur just a casual user then don't spend hundreds on a camera which u won't need, spend hundreds only if ur doing specific work.
Yes, please stop reinforcing the stereotype that mac users will throw down more money for something because just it's pretty. Buy the tool that will do the job the best. It's not a suit, and this ain't Gucci.
"Leave it. Leave it, it's fine. It's fine. I WILL DESTROY YOU!" -Morbo

boddjob
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 30, 2003, 04:10 AM

I have a Canon PowerShot S45.
4.5 Megapixel
compact flash card
still images and basic video
captures sound too, like memos

works well with my Pismo 400 OS X
don't use the software that shipped with the camera, just load the images and quicktime movies direct with a card reader
to usb

color is silver

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Aug 31, 2003, 11:18 AM

You don't match the camera to your computer. You match the camera to your photography needs.

tooki

tritonus  (op)
Senior User
Aug 31, 2003, 01:22 PM

Originally posted by tooki:
You don't match the camera to your computer. You match the camera to your photography needs.

tooki
Well, look at all the "photography needs" I listed in my original post:

- should have 3 Megapix
SwitCHerland, Europe

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Aug 31, 2003, 02:00 PM

I saw that already. My point is that the computer you'll be using doesn't have any bearing on your choice of camera.

tooki

Montanan
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 31, 2003, 03:50 PM

I recently bought a Pentax Optio 550, which meets or exceeds all your criteria and takes exceptional photos. (And it's pretty good-looking, besides!) I can recommend it highly.

One other thing about your specs, though ... if you're going to be taking a lot of digital pics, you might want to think about some better software than iPhoto. I really like iView Media Pro .

LfGrdMike
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 31, 2003, 04:06 PM

You make it sound like the camera matching the powerbook is an important factor. I say who cares just buy yourself a nice deal. I got a 3MP Kodak Easy share DX4330. I am able to take outstanding pictures of my aquariums. Who cares if it matches or not their are more important things that that. Usability, Your buttons should be conveniently located. Features and a lot more. Good luck though, but dont give up a good camera just because it doesnt match your comptuer that silly. If you ever get another computer it most likely wont match your computer. So keep that in mind.

I got 1 external 128MB card going to get another one too.

one camera bag

Dock II

One close up lens. I ussuall dont use it often. I got really nice zoom already. Still its nice to have to take pics of river fish. Still I dont know why I bought it wasnt neccesary. I got good quallity pics with no blur without the lens. Planning on getting a tripod built for it soon too.

Im getting a 12 inch powerbook and could care less if the camera matches or not. Right now its hooked up to my iMac 600.

Did I already say I could care less if the camera matches or not

MacBook Pro 15" Rev B | 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | 2GB Mem | 160GB HD | Display 15 Glossy Widescreen Display
iPod Mini Green | 35 gigs of music :-)
HP DV1040us Laptop | 1.6 Pentium M | 1GB RAM | Centrino

tritonus  (op)
Senior User
Aug 31, 2003, 05:18 PM

Did I already say I could care less if the camera matches or not
Okay, so I like good industrial design.

So? Isn't that part of the mac community, too? My girlfriend bought an iBook because of its looks, not because of features, tech specs or operating systems. She just wanted a nice-looking computer that can do basic computing stuff. Same goes for my digital camera.
SwitCHerland, Europe

butter71
Forum Regular
Aug 31, 2003, 07:44 PM

Originally posted by mc786030:
Pentax Optio S

another vote for the pentax optio s.

while it does fit in a altoids tin, more practically it fits in your shirt pocket.
you can hide it in the altoids tin when you travel.

read the reviews for it (and any other camera you are interested in) at dpreview.com.

vancenase
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 31, 2003, 10:15 PM

canon S400 ... nice camara ... would match nicely.

if you want video (size vs. S230) ... buy a video camara.

*picture* quality should stomp on the S230.

SEkker
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 31, 2003, 10:32 PM

I purchased the s400 after testing several digital cameras in movie mode. If you want to capture video, at the moment you really need a video camera. Resolution is not the limiting factor, but poor zoom and low framerates are.

Just as my CLIE's 1.3Mpixel camera does work, it is no substitute for even my S100 in picture quality.

The optio S video mode is currently crippled because when you zoomed in (using the 5x zoom) and then went into movie mode, it zoomed back to wide angle every time.

The s230 image quality will still be very nice, but from your specs, the A70 or A80 are better cameras.

The best data is from the digital camera resource page, written by a mac-o-phile digital camera nut.

carnagex2000
Forum Regular
Sep 1, 2003, 12:15 AM

Go for the new Canon EOS 300D (Rebel) since you have the power to work with larger files now. (less features then my 10D, but same sensor) and it will "match" your Powerbook.
Estimated price around $899 with lens kit around $1099.
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0308/03...noneos300d.asp
Powerbook 12" 640MB 60GB AirportExteme Canon 10D and my good looks 8^D

powerbook867
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 1, 2003, 08:33 AM

I always send my friends and family to this site..

http://www.dcresource.com

I just bought an olympus c-740 yesterday to upgrade my finepix 2800 zoom...dcresource has some awesome, detailed reviews, plus sample pictures! Good luck

dwalls32
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 1, 2003, 11:11 AM

So? Isn't that part of the mac community, too? My girlfriend bought an iBook because of its looks, not because of features, tech specs or operating systems. She just wanted a nice-looking computer that can do basic computing stuff. Same goes for my digital camera.
I would like to know where I can get an aluminum faceplace for my Nokia 3390 while you're all on this matching subject

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Sep 1, 2003, 04:53 PM

Yeah, you can ask that question somewhere else, like the lounge or peripherals forum.

tooki

LfGrdMike
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 1, 2003, 05:40 PM

First of all we werent talking about computers we were talking about cameras. I agree with what you said but matching a camera to a comptuer is odd if you ask me. Half the time your using the camera away from your comptuer if you are an average user. I mean really.
Originally posted by tritonus

MacBook Pro 15" Rev B | 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | 2GB Mem | 160GB HD | Display 15 Glossy Widescreen Display
iPod Mini Green | 35 gigs of music :-)
HP DV1040us Laptop | 1.6 Pentium M | 1GB RAM | Centrino

NYCFarmboy
Mac Elite
Sep 2, 2003, 10:24 AM

That's an interesting point, thanks! I didn't know that S400 had a week point compared to S230.

What do you use a 30 sec video for though?

The S230 records AVI files at 640x480 resolution at up to 30 seconds, that is what I meant to say, I don't make 30 second videos.

The 30 second clips made by the S230 are perfect though for use in music videos etc. The frame per second is only 15, so its a bit jumpy, or sort of like an old super 8 camera, but the clarity and colors are fantastic.

The S400 will ONLY shoot at 320x240,so the image is smaller and blurrier if you try to enlarge to 680x480.

I don't think many people realize how good the quality is of the S230 video clips are. You can hand hold it because its so small, and still get very stable images. And because its small you can take motion images very easily and discreetly for crowd shots, subways, etc.

imovie would not recognize AVI files made from Canon cameras until the iMovie 3.0 came out. Now they work perfectly.

fire3500
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 2, 2003, 10:41 AM

how about this little baby

http://www.leica-camera.com/digitale...x/index_e.html

it is a beautiful little machine and is exquisite in its packaging and operation.

mmmmmmmmm Leica

tritonus  (op)
Senior User
Sep 4, 2003, 06:54 AM

Originally posted by fire3500:
how about this little baby

http://www.leica-camera.com/digitale...x/index_e.html

it is a beautiful little machine and is exquisite in its packaging and operation.

mmmmmmmmm Leica
Nice! I think Leica has Swiss roots, right?
SwitCHerland, Europe

tritonus  (op)
Senior User
Sep 4, 2003, 07:09 AM

Originally posted by powerbook867:
I always send my friends and family to this site..

http://www.dcresource.com

I just bought an olympus c-740 yesterday to upgrade my finepix 2800 zoom...dcresource has some awesome, detailed reviews, plus sample pictures! Good luck
Thanks! Will definitely check out the site.
SwitCHerland, Europe

Musti
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 4, 2003, 04:38 PM

Wha- Where? Please tell us about this hack.

tritonus  (op)
Senior User
Sep 4, 2003, 08:18 PM

Originally posted by Musti:
Wha- Where? Please tell us about this hack.
Here you go:
http://www.ecamm.com/mac/ichatusbcam/
SwitCHerland, Europe

Musti
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 4, 2003, 11:37 PM

Here you go:
http://www.ecamm.com/mac/ichatusbcam/
Doesn't work for me. Has this worked for anyone?

EDIT:

Has this worked for anyone using s230?
( Last edited by Musti; Sep 5, 2003 at 01:29 AM. )

Ryan1524
Senior User
Sep 5, 2003, 01:21 AM

Fuji Finepix F601z (4700 and 6800 sucessor)

check www.dpreview.com
Ryan

flyhigher
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 5, 2003, 02:31 AM

Pentax Optio S4. Just announced. Same "Altoids" size as the Optio S, but 4MP.

press release
"I warned them kids to keep their arms inside the ride. Damnedest thing I ever saw."

dialo
Senior User
Sep 5, 2003, 11:07 AM

Originally posted by flyhigher:
Same "Altoids" size as the Optio S...
Altoids actually promote the bateria that cause bad breath, thus making them a scam and worthy of obscurity.

Anyway, referring to cassettes is (apparently) just so much hipper. They're considered retro now that it's a couple generations of tech old.

I'm curious, what do all of these cameras like this one and the Leica do that the s400 doesn't?
( Last edited by dialo; Sep 5, 2003 at 12:53 PM. )

ucsbdude
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 7, 2003, 08:54 PM

you guys are all crazy its the casio z4 of course! It uses the pentax S lenz but its way faster, has a better bat life, has a huge 2 inch screen. Its easier to use has bigger buttons, comes with a dock, is 4 megapixels, and the rechargable bats are only 30 bucks!!!

Forum Links
Forum Rules