Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > iTunes is randomly deleting mp3s from my library

iTunes is randomly deleting mp3s from my library
rob5243
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 8, 2003, 12:00 PM

In the past few days i've noticed that random mp3s are missing from my main library. I will click on the song and the little exclamation point will come up, and the dialog will ask if i want to find the file.

I've tried searching for mp3s based on the filesize of the missing file, but nothing comes up. A lot of my files were not encoded with CDDB data, so I have a huge number of songs in the unknown artist/unknown album folder.

I did a search and tried deleting the itunes preference file (there were several, i deleted com.apple.itunes.plist)

Today I upgraded to version 4.0.1, hoping it would fix the problem, but no luck. I'm running os 10.2.3, G4 466

Help!

philzilla
Occasionally Useful
Oct 8, 2003, 12:09 PM

have you got "Keep iTunes Music folder organised" checked?
"Have sharp knives. Be creative. Cook to music" ~ maxelson

Bobby
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 8, 2003, 12:24 PM

This happens to me a lot! It started in 3 and is still doing it in 4...

The mp3 files will be shown broken and if I try to find them, I am able to in the EXACT location it claims the file "should" be...

I do have the option for iTunes to organize my music folder enabled, however I used to leave this option off. When I did leave it off (under 3) this problem STILL OCCURED!

It's annoying, but is a deffinate bug...

Brazuca
Mac Elite
Oct 8, 2003, 01:32 PM

I've been having the same problem since 3 also.
I don't know if its a HD problem or iTunes, but I actually have iTunes delete only part of some songs sometimes.

Annoying and very worrysome. Data loss bugs should never get through.
"It's about time trees did something good insted of just standing there LIKE JERKS!" :)

Commodus
Mac Elite
Oct 8, 2003, 02:39 PM

How many tracks do you people have? I remember there being an issue where going over a certain number of tracks means that iTunes won't be able to show all of them.
24-inch iMac Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz

SomeToast
Senior User
Oct 8, 2003, 03:23 PM

iTunes 3 had a 32,000 song limitation for the Library. iTunes 4 doesn't have a limit.

I keep all my mp3s on an external drive and have "Keep iTunes Music folder organized" checked. Haven't had anything go missing yet.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Oct 8, 2003, 03:30 PM

I thought it was just me... VERY STRANGE

Bobby
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 8, 2003, 03:31 PM

Originally posted by Commodus:
How many tracks do you people have? I remember there being an issue where going over a certain number of tracks means that iTunes won't be able to show all of them.
I have less than 3000, which is WAY under the limit...

Besides, it's not that the actual songs are vanishing from iTunes, it's that iTunes reports the tracks as missing (if you move a track out of your music folder, then open iTunes, it will still show the song but say it's missing). Though the songs are in the exact location iTunes states the tracks "used to be"...

Hop Pocket
Forum Regular
Oct 8, 2003, 03:39 PM

I had experienced the same problem with iTunes 4. I had about 5% go wacky. I had a backup on a separate drive, so I just re-copied everything over, and it works ok now. The problem has not resurfaced since about 3 months ago..

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 8, 2003, 03:40 PM

Mine "forgets" where files are occasionally. Then there they are in the same place.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Oct 8, 2003, 03:45 PM

Originally posted by Eriamjh:
Mine "forgets" where files are occasionally. Then there they are in the same place.
Mine does this too!

I've got about 1100 songs (ain't that much) and it happens sometimes. I had this theory that iTunes acted like this when there was very little left on the HD (like >1MB).

I don't know though. I've not experienced more "lost" connections to songs lately - but then I've also had enough HD space too.
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

Apfhex
Mac Elite
Oct 8, 2003, 04:03 PM

Yeah, I've had this problem for a while too. It's not related to low disk space (I have over 10GB free), and based on other peoples reports it's not related to the size of the Library (mine is around 6100). I wish I knew what the cause was...I was surprised that iTunes 4 didn't fix it though.
Mac OS X 10.5.0, Mac Pro 2.66GHz/2 GB RAM/X1900 XT, 23" ACD
esdesign

tomdavidson69
Forum Regular
Oct 8, 2003, 04:04 PM

I get the same thing with 6000ish songs. I find that if you drag/import the whole itunes music folder back into itunes, then it will only copy those which it thinks it doesn't have.

Can anybody else verify this? It's iTunes 4 btw with the library stored on main/boot volume.
"I'm Captain Chaos! Been in the force long...?"

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Oct 8, 2003, 04:18 PM

iTunes is an application and does not belong in the OS X forum, as clearly indicated in the main forum listing.

tooki

Forum Links
Forum Rules