Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Safeware Laptop Insurance

Safeware Laptop Insurance
macgyvr64
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 22, 2003, 06:50 PM

I just ordered a new 15" PowerBook, and am considering buying some sort of insurance. I was tempted to get AppleCare, but it doesn't seem like it would be as useful. It only seems to cover defects and stuff, which I would complain about and get fixed for free anyway. Anyone ever tried Safeware insurance? They claim to cover all sorts of damages including accidents, which AppleCare most certainly doesn't cover. For me, it will be about $150 per year, but I think it would be well worth it if I ever happen to knock my machine off a table or something sad like that. Thoughts?

dialo
Senior User
Nov 22, 2003, 07:21 PM

If you are planning on keeping your powerbook for over a year, you will kick yourself if you do not get applecare. Assume that sometime soon after the end of the first year you will have to send it in for something, since it is highly likely that you will.

The insurance is separate and you should also get that. See how much it would cost to get a low to no deductible rider on your homeowner's or renters insurance, since it will likely be in the $50 range.

macgyvr64  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 22, 2003, 07:54 PM

Is AppleCare really worth the $239 (edu), though? If something wears out after the first year, it's not my fault. I bought the product to use as it was intended. Now, I drop it or something, that rightly shouldn't be covered.

anaphora68
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 22, 2003, 07:59 PM

Yes, it is. What if your screen goes, or your hard drive?

An Apple LCD costs about 1,000 dollars. Well worth the 239.

macgyvr64  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 22, 2003, 08:06 PM

Hmm..yeah...if the screen goes a day after the year-long warranty is up, I might be SOL... Otherwise, it feels like a waste.

Seqiro
Nov 22, 2003, 08:08 PM

Originally posted by macgyvr64:
Is AppleCare really worth the $239 (edu), though? If something wears out after the first year, it's not my fault. I bought the product to use as it was intended. Now, I drop it or something, that rightly shouldn't be covered.
Yes but it only comes with a one year warranty. Therefore, Apple is guaranteeing that it will work as it is intended for one year and after that, you're on your own. And so many of the repairs on a PowerBook cost WAY more than the price of Applecare, that dialo is definitely right. If you plan on keeping it for more than a year, buy the AppleCare.

Also after 90 days, no more free phone support.

One final thing to remember, Safeware does NOT cover warranty type issues. Mechanical failures aren't covered, so if your LCD dies through normal use after a year, the way I read it Safeware will not be reimbursing you. Now if you intentionally throw your PowerBook with the defective LCD in a lake, they would cover it. But that's called insurance fraud.

From their FAQ: Warranties, by their nature, will cover parts and labor for manufacturer defects and internal mechanical failure, such as disk failures, inoperative keyboards, etc� Computer insurance, on the other hand, compliments the warranty by providing coverage for all kinds of unexpected, externally caused losses: theft, fire, power surges, lightning, spilled coffee in the keyboard, accidentally dropped notebooks and natural disasters like: earthquakes, hurricanes and floods.

Also from their FAQ: What type of losses are not covered? Losses caused by or resulting from: Equipment rented or leased to others; Equipment held for sale or lease; Depreciation; Insects, vermin, corrosion, or rust; Wear and tear; gradual deterioration, mechanical breakdown; Dust, dampness, dryness, cold or heat; Delay or loss of market, income or interruption of business; Intentional or dishonest acts by insured or anyone else with an interest in the insured property; War; Nuclear hazard; Repair or service, including installment of property, and error in machine programming or instructions to the machine; Illegal trade or confiscation by any governmental authority; Extra expenses, data programming, data reconstruction, data recovery or program installation or reconfiguration.

anaphora68
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 22, 2003, 08:08 PM

Yeah, it's a pretty big dilemma. I didnt' buy the Applecare extension but when my yearlong is about to go I think I will. I figure it's worth the money and by then I'll be gainfully employed (I graduate from college in six months) and will be able to afford it.

It's expensive, but it's nice security.

Do you know if homeowner's insurance will cover a laptop for damage/etc?

anaphora68
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 22, 2003, 08:11 PM

I love reading the details on insurance policies, they always mention something interesting, like nuclear explosion or limb loss during internal strife (my travel insurance policy, I took one out when I lived in South Africa for a semester).

macgyvr64  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 22, 2003, 08:14 PM

Originally posted by anaphora68:
I love reading the details on insurance policies, they always mention something interesting, like nuclear explosion or limb loss during internal strife (my travel insurance policy, I took one out when I lived in South Africa for a semester).
I was just reading the AppleCare one, lol. "....acts of God..."

dialo
Senior User
Nov 22, 2003, 10:44 PM

Hmm..yeah...if the screen goes a day after the year-long warranty is up, I might be SOL... Otherwise, it feels like a waste.
Something will show up. On my last powerbook, I didn't get applecare, but I sold it to a buddy a month before the 1st year was up. Just after the year ended, he started getting lines across the screen. I went to the apple forums and there were all sorts of people talking about how these lines appeared right as the year was up. It turned out to be bad connectors, but those without applecare were screwed.

On my current powerbook, the year just ended some time last month, but thankfully I have applecare. Not only has my drive recently stopped recognizing blank disks, but just last week I noticed about 20 stuck pixels. There are other folks reporting the same thing on powerbooks just now turning 1yo. Since I have applecare, I'm not too worried about it since I can send it in and get it fixed any time in the next two years. If I didn't have it, I'd be screwed.

The fact is, something will go wrong. Every powerbook I've owned has needed a repair at some point. Every one of my buddies and coworkers with powerbooks have also needed sone repair at some point.

What it comes down to is that it is really dumb not to get it on a powerbook that you plan on keeping past that 1st year.

MOTHERWELL
Senior User
Nov 22, 2003, 10:48 PM

AppleCare has saved me many times. The extra $$$ is for peace of mind.

I had a quicksilver that decided to stop working one day. After all of the replacement parts did not fix the computer I was able to trade it in for a new G4 (the one with the mirror), and I ended up getting a faster version.

If I didn't have apple care I would have been out $3500 and I would probably have a DELL right now.

SO: I DIG APPLE CARE AND SO SHOULD YOU.

macgyvr64  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 22, 2003, 11:33 PM

Alright, I'll get it. Maybe for Christmas from a parent, hehe.

justinkim
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 23, 2003, 02:07 AM

And if you really want to be safe, get both. I regularly have to cart my PB around, so I have Applecare for the wear and tear and Safeware for the thefts and running over by buses.

macgyvr64  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 23, 2003, 02:09 AM

Originally posted by justinkim:
And if you really want to be safe, get both. I regularly have to cart my PB around, so I have Applecare for the wear and tear and Safeware for the thefts and running over by buses.
That's what I'm thinking... Have you dealt with Safeware at all? I'd like to know if they're a reputable comapny..

justinkim
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 23, 2003, 02:18 AM

I haven't had to yet (fortunately). They seem to have a good reputation on these forums. If you do a search, you shouldn't have any problems finding the testimonials.

chipchen
Mac Elite
Nov 23, 2003, 02:45 AM

I definately recommend AppleCare. Definately a MUST if you will keep your PowerBook over a year.

ALSO, in addition, I purchased a "Personal Articles Insurance" from State Farm. It cost me less than $50 a year to insure my PowerBook, camcorder, and digital camera.

striker100
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 23, 2003, 09:58 AM

I checked out Safeware because I'm considering getting it for my Powerbook.
Evidentely they are legitimate, they are underwritten by a Florida based insurance company (forgot the name) with an "A" rating:

American Bankers Insurance Company of Florida, also a member of Assurant Group, underwrites Safeware's products. AM Best Co., North America's most widely recognized insurance rating service, rates American Bankers "A" Excellent. AM Best's ratings are based on financial strength and operating performance.

TribeLeader
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 23, 2003, 02:02 PM

How does Safeware compare with your personal insurance policies (for those of you who have them)?

My PB is enroute and I'm planning to add an "all risk" policy through my insurance agency for up to $25/year.

dialo
Senior User
Nov 23, 2003, 04:22 PM

I had safeware on my last powerbook, but now I just have a rider on my insurance policy. It only costs something like $40 a year this way.

Do a search here in the forums on safeware. I remember some time ago there was worry about exactly how they replaced computers.

gperks
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 23, 2003, 04:29 PM

I got the Safeware insurance as my home insurer said they didn't cover accidental damage on notebooks. So that was that.

Note with AppleCare, if you accidentally break or lose your notebook, you have paid for extra years of warranty you won't be able to take advantage of. So I'll sign up for extra AppleCare when my first year has nearly expired.

coolmacdude
Senior User
Nov 23, 2003, 05:03 PM

I was just reading the AppleCare one, lol. "....acts of God..."
Hey it happens. Lightning took out my ethernet port.
2.16 Ghz Core 2 Macbook, 3GB Ram, 120 GB

wirobins
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 23, 2003, 09:38 PM

safeware rocks, I dropped my old TiBook at the aiport when I was going through security and it cracked the case around the back and damaged the hinge. Over the next couple weeks both hinges pulled out of the screen until it was hanging by the wires.

I filed a claim with safeware who told me to get an estimate. I was in the carribean all summer and the local apple service center gave me a $2500 estimate. Safeware told me they were crazy and suggested I send it to apple and that they would cover whatever the charge was. I got it back from apple after a couple days (with a free upgrade to the combo drive from the DVD it came with) along with a bill for $1200.

I faxed safeware the receipt and had a check in the mail within a week.

Incidentally the computer looked brand new when I got it back, I sold it on ebay and bought a new 12".

Also, I did have applecare on that computer but never needed it in the 2 years I owned it, I haven't bought it for my 12" yet and I'm not sure if I will.

Saleo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 24, 2003, 12:17 AM

I just bought a new 15" PB but I didn't get apple care. Can I buy apple care at any point before my first year is up? Or am I crap out of luck and missed the boat?

gperks
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 24, 2003, 12:11 PM

Originally posted by Saleo:
... am I crap out of luck and missed the boat?
You're in luck and on the boat. You can add AppleCare anytime within the first year.

cambro
Senior User
Nov 24, 2003, 01:23 PM

Originally posted by dialo:
If you are planning on keeping your powerbook for over a year, you will kick yourself if you do not get applecare. Assume that sometime soon after the end of the first year you will have to send it in for something, since it is highly likely that you will.
This isn't really true...I've had three powerbooks (Pismo, 400 Ti, Ghz Ti) for about four years now and despite plenty of use and transportation, none of them have had any problems of any kind. My sister has also had an iBook 600 for almost 2 years with no problems.

So, I would say that is in UNlikely that normal use will cause your PB grief.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Nov 24, 2003, 08:35 PM

One single out-of-warranty repair on a PowerBook costs more than AppleCare: they have a flat-rate repair price that covers any repairs that would have been covered under warranty during the warranty period (as opposed to stuff that wouldn't have been covered, which is priced separately). This is $378.

I had to send my Pismo in 2 times during its AppleCare period: once for a bad screen (went all pink and sparkly), once for a loose audio jack. Each one of those repairs (since they didn't occur at the same time) would have cost $378 to fix. Made the $250 for AppleCare (what it cost 3.5 years ago) well worth it.

tooki

P.S. I have both SafeWare and AppleCare for my new AlBook (and have the SafeWare covering my PowerBook accessories, digital camera, and iPod as well).

spatterson
Mac Elite
Nov 25, 2003, 12:27 AM

I have a USAA's Renter's Insurance policy and basically my insurance already covers theft, domicile damage, etc... But I took one more step and opted for what I call "you broke it, so what the hell, give us $100 dollars and we�ll pay to fix it" and its 14 dollars a year. Even if I am bike riding to school, and I run into a traffic light (lets hope this never happens) and bend my PowerBook in half, then they will pay to replace it. :-)

catzilla1228
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 25, 2003, 12:51 AM

What Spatterson said.
My USAA computer rider is $18 a year on my homeowners, they just sent me a check for $687 for a crushed clamshell.

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Nov 25, 2003, 03:08 AM

catzilla1228 & spatterson:

But how much is your Renter's insurance and what if I don't need the Renter's insurance, only the USAA rider coverage?

spatterson
Mac Elite
Nov 25, 2003, 10:25 AM

Originally posted by TheIceMan:
catzilla1228 & spatterson:

But how much is your Renter's insurance and what if I don't need the Renter's insurance, only the USAA rider coverage?
My annual premium $174.60 with the "all risk" policy. My deductible is $100.00. Check out something called a "computer endorsement" this may be what you are looking for... I'm not sure if it requires a Renters/Homeowners policy. It should be $40 bucks a year and I chose not to add it because I allready had the all risk policy. Good Luck... USAA's number is 1-800-531-8111. The only thing with USAA is that only Active duty, National Guard and Reserve enlisted personnel, officers and officer candidates, and their dependents are eligible for membership in USAA.

bbales
Mac Elite
Nov 25, 2003, 11:29 AM

Interestingly, I just checked with my insurance agent. This kind of coverage is not available on my policy (though things are more complicated in my case b/c the laptop is used in my home business.)

But my agent wants the link!

So I'm sending it on. By the way, do most people who use safeware go for a deductible? Because otherwise, I think it's kind of high. I got a quote of $120 a year for $2,000 in coverage. But that's with no deductible.

dgbatchelor
Forum Regular
Nov 26, 2003, 12:28 AM

I've had nothing but a great experience with AppleCare...

Earlier this year, my TiBook's SuperDrive stopped burning DVDs and then eventually stopped burning CDs... AppleCare replaced the drive... Likewise, there was a broken hinge... They replaced that, too.

Unfortunately, when the TiBook returned from Apple, the LCD screen was cracked... (most likely during the return shipping, but we couldn't prove anything.) Apple replaced the broken screen... and the battery I had installed in the laptop was also pretty much "dead"... They replaced the battery without even asking!

A week after the Tibook was returned with the new screen, there was a problem with the screen (strange pixel problems near the edges) and they replaced the screen a second time!

All of this was covered by my AppleCare.

Amazing. YMMV, but I'm a very happy customer.

I hate to think about the cost if I didn't have AppleCare.

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Nov 26, 2003, 02:01 AM

bbales: I had an $84 premium with NO deductible on a $1200 coverage. $120 does seem a bit steep. I guess you have to ask yourself how much you might need SafeWare. For instance, with my PowerBook, I rarely took it out of the house, so I guess I didn't really need it. BUT, when it was mobile, I felt secure knowing that if anything were to happen to it (lost, stolen, dropped, ran over with car, etc.) that SafeWare would cover it. Peace of mind I guess.

jendmb34
Dec 1, 2003, 10:16 PM

i just looked into this for my new 15"

for a computer worth $2532.34:

$31 a year with $100 deductible

through state farm.

i will be getting this ASAP, and applecare in a few months.

macgyvr64  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 1, 2003, 10:35 PM

Originally posted by jendmb34:
$31 a year with $100 deductible
Sounds good, but what's a deductible?

romeosc
Mac Elite
Dec 1, 2003, 11:11 PM

Originally posted by justinkim:
I haven't had to yet (fortunately). They seem to have a good reputation on these forums. If you do a search, you shouldn't have any problems finding the testimonials.

I've used them for over 5 years... all claims handled quickly and effortlessly.

Lighting took out a modem and they paid Apple to replace motherboard! I usually only insure for what I can replace it for used, since if they can't fix it they will give you cash!

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Dec 1, 2003, 11:28 PM

Sounds good, but what's a deductible?
A deductible is the money you pay when you file a claim. For example, if your laptop is stolen, and if you have a deductible of $100 then you would pay SafeWare $100, and then they will cover the rest of the cost for you.

In general, the higher the deductible, the less you will pay for premiums (monthly or 6-month fees)

SafeWare, I believe, offers deductible and no deductible. But the difference is very little. I had $1200 coverage with no deductible for $84/year. I think with $100 deductible it was like $70/year.

Hope that helps. Sorry if I confused you even more. It made sense in my head.

mikills
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 1, 2003, 11:32 PM

How many years of coverage will you receive if you purchase Applecare after the year warranty has expired?
1GHz Titanium PowerBook G4 | 1GB RAM | 40GB Hard Drive | MCE SuperDrive Upgrade | MacOS 10.4.9

2.33GHz MacBook Pro | 3GB SDRAM | 160GB Hard Drive | MacOS 10.4.9

Sprint Treo 650 | Cingular Blackberry 8700c

macgyvr64  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 1, 2003, 11:34 PM

Oh, I get it...using the deductable sounds like a better deal...I'd rather pay a little less overall, then pay a little more IF something happens.

kanker
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 2, 2003, 02:34 AM

Actually, with a deductible you don't really give them the money if you have a claim, it's just that you are responsible for the first $100 (or whatever your deductible is) of EVERY claim you file, which is one of the reasons your insurance rates are so high-- people filing a $300 claim when they have a $250 deductible. Pay the extra $50, don't file a claim and save on your (and everybodies) premiums in the long run.

DekuDekuplex
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 26, 2003, 04:57 PM

Originally posted by mikills:
How many years of coverage will you receive if you purchase Applecare after the year warranty has expired?
Zero.

According to store clerks at the local Apple Store SoHo, you can't even purchase it after the warranty expires. According to them, you need to purchase it within one year of the initial PowerBook purchase date.

--DekuDekuplex
PowerBook® 17-inch [Rev. A] @ 1 GHz
512 MB RAM, 60 GB HD, AEBS, APP/PB
"Furuike ya, kawazu tobikomu mizu no oto."
-- Matsuo Basho

Drakino
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 27, 2003, 03:38 PM

Another reason to consider Applecare. Having it ensures Apple is a bit more receptive to a request for a new battery. Being that the 15 inch Albooks already ship with a low capacity battery for the laptop, I will be calling Apple any time my capacity drops more then 20% from the factory specifications.

This alone makes Applecare worth it in my book, since batteries cost a small fortune to replace.
<This space under renovation>

LeeG
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 27, 2003, 05:57 PM

Yeah, I just had a funny applecare experience-

I got a phone call from apple trying to sell me applecare on the new ipod I just bought. This is after I found out that my hinges are starting to come apart on the 15" tiBook that is 13 months old (with no applecare).

I then told them I have another iPod (2nd gen, 16months old), and a rev b 12" alBook. I said, if you'll give me applecare on the 15" tibook (13 months old), that I would also buy applecare for the 12", and the second iPod.

Thats a lot of applecare - 2 powerboks and an ipod.

The salesperson spoke to the manager - and then came back and said no go. They are REALLY strict about the 1 year thing.

If you can afford it, its peace of mind, and yes the above post about fixed costs for repairs is true - they told me the same thing $378 for the hinges - I know there's a thrid party fix as well.

Before the year is out if you can afford it - get it, esp if anything is 'quirky' - battery, audio, hinge, screen etc.

I plan to investigate safeware as well for bad oops's like driving over my albook...

Lee
iPhone 3G 16Gb
24" 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo iMac, 4GB/320GB/256MB
12" AlBook 1Ghz/768Mb/80Gb/Combo/AX

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Dec 27, 2003, 07:50 PM

Well, i just moved, and my PowerBook ended up being damaged during packing (me carrying big box-> bumped bookcase -> powerbook had nasty encounter with a large glass mickey mouse). SafeWare had me take it to Apple (I could've had Apple send a box, but I have an Apple store nearby) and have it fixed. Then I just had to send them (by fax, email JPEGs, or mail) the repair receipt, original purchase receipt, and a form they send you. The same day I emailed the documentation in (this Monday), the adjuster approved it and had the check sent, which arrived yesterday (Friday). Alternatively, I could have had them send the check to Apple, but in the interest of speed, I paid for the repair and had SafeWare pay me back.

The SafeWare guy said that I had provided good documentation (which made it easy for him to approve the settlement). I included:
-original purchase invoice/receipt
-AppleCare Work Authorization Agreement (the paper filled out when dropping off the machine)
-Apple repair receipt
-Apple Repair Confirmation
-Apple list of repairs made ("Proof of Repair")
-the filled out SafeWare affidavit form

It was probably more than needed, but it made for very speedy processing.

Suffice it to say, I have been completely thrilled by SafeWare's service, and recommend it to anyone with a laptop.

tooki

bbales
Mac Elite
Dec 27, 2003, 11:58 PM

After way too many times of wincing when one of my kids is carrying around the laptop or -- gasp!! -- having food near by despite my very strict rules on this matter, I finally just went ahead and bought safeware. They were very, very nice on the phone, by the way. It cost me $120, I think, for a year. That's with no deductible. But getting a deductible didn't really reduce the rate much, so I just sucked it up and got the whole 9 yards.

And -- my PB is now 11 months old, if you count when I ordered it (as opposed to receiving it) -- and I am fairly certain I will sigh, wince and buy AppleCare for it. That PB is used many hours a day. I just need the peace of mind.

It's a lot of money, but I really think it will be better in the long run.

Oh -- and I did check with my insurance company. It doesn't offer the kind of insurance Safeware does. In fact, our agent had me send him all the info on the company!

DekuDekuplex
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 30, 2003, 04:17 PM

Originally posted by spatterson:
My annual premium $174.60 with the "all risk" policy. My deductible is $100.00. Check out something called a "computer endorsement" this may be what you are looking for... I'm not sure if it requires a Renters/Homeowners policy. It should be $40 bucks a year and I chose not to add it because I allready had the all risk policy. Good Luck... USAA's number is 1-800-531-8111. The only thing with USAA is that only Active duty, National Guard and Reserve enlisted personnel, officers and officer candidates, and their dependents are eligible for membership in USAA.
Here is what Safeware� gave me as their quote for overseas insurance for a 17-inch PowerBook G4 [Rev. A] to be used as a "Family Home Computer" in New York State with accessories:

Originally quoted by Safeware�, Inc.:
Global Policy Premium Breakdown

Computer Equipment Coverage: $3800.00
Premium: $190.00

Personal Effects Coverage: $1100.00
Premium: $55.00

Personal Business Property Coverage: $0.00
Premium: : $0.00

Total Coverage Total: $4900.00
Premium: $245.00
The deductible was $200.

I then asked if I could pay the premium in installments, as follows:

Originally sent by DekuDekuplex:
Hello,

I'm interested in subscribing for Safeware� Home Insurance for my laptop, but cannot afford to pay in a single, lump installment at this time.

Is there any way that I could pay in installments?
However, this was their reply:

Originally sent by [email protected]:
Hello, At this time we do not accept partial payments.
--DekuDekuplex
PowerBook® 17-inch [Rev. A] @ 1 GHz
512 MB RAM, 60 GB HD, AEBS, APP/PB
"Furuike ya, kawazu tobikomu mizu no oto."
-- Matsuo Basho

Forum Links
Forum Rules