Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > iTunes quit working....

iTunes quit working....
GameDog
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 28, 2003, 10:44 PM

I was using iTunes on my windows 2000 nt machine and it has been working great. I decided to update windows, which was small, and then itunes quit working?? I keep getting a "not a valid library" message. I've repaired itunes, reinstalled it and then downloaded the newest one and installed it, still same error, anyone know what to do?

Thanks

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Dec 28, 2003, 11:49 PM

Originally posted by GameDog:
I decided to update windows, which was small...
Oh boy...I think the problem has been answered with that comment; however, have you tried to delete the iTunes Library?

GameDog  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 29, 2003, 10:48 PM

Good idea, I'll try that....if I can find it
Wouldn't that have been deleted when I uninstalled it though?

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 30, 2003, 12:30 AM

Originally posted by GameDog:
I was using iTunes on my windows 2000 nt machine and it has been working great. I decided to update windows, which was small, and then itunes quit working?? I keep getting a "not a valid library" message. I've repaired itunes, reinstalled it and then downloaded the newest one and installed it, still same error, anyone know what to do?

Thanks
Get a Mac.

Sorry, sorry, sorry.

Somebody had to do do it.

CV

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

laxthxdude
Forum Regular
Dec 30, 2003, 01:29 AM

Watch M$ put a 'patch' out that 'breaks' iTunes so it doesn't work... Oh wait, they aren't that kind of company (**Cough Cough Sun Java Cough Cough Internet Explorer Cough Cough Windows Media Player)... They are getting ready to launch their own digital music download service soon...What better than to use all that play Monopoly money to cripple the competition...

Being serious (somewhat) now, try deleting the iTunes library file and relaunching it. It should be in your Documents and Settings folder somewhere...

phantomo
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 30, 2003, 05:00 AM

Ok guy, let's be a bit friendly here.

1. Uninstall iTunes then reboot.
2. Go to your \My Documents\My Music\iTunes folder and delete iTunes Music Library.xml and iTunes 4 Music Library.itl
3. Reinstall iTunes then reboot.
4. Let iTunes search for your music automatically.
5. If it doesn't search for it (due to registry crap in Windows). Just drop your \My Documents\My Music\Itunes Music folder on iTunes and let it rebuild the library again.
6. BTW, this is a OS X forum so get a Mac next time.
15"MBP/C2D2.4GHz/4GB RAM/320GB HD
15"MBP/C2D2.16GHz/3GB RAM/250GB HD
12"PB/1GHz/768MB/60GB/SuperDrive/AE
iPhone 8GB/iPod video 30GB

GameDog  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 30, 2003, 01:19 PM

Thank you fellers, I got it fixed that to the suggestions of deleting the library crap. MS is pitiful. I would really like to get a new ibook.

Thanks again

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Dec 30, 2003, 04:01 PM

Questions about Windows apps most decidedly do NOT belong in the OS X forum.

tooki

Forum Links
Forum Rules