Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Refilled my Ink Cartridge, but...

Refilled my Ink Cartridge, but...
Thread Tools
AmericanPsych0
Junior Member
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 25, 2005, 09:06 PM
 
... it isn't registering with the computer.

I bought a refill kit with which I manually refilled my black in cartridge. I've been doing it with my other printers--albeit, ones hooked up to PCs--without a hitch, but now, on the only printer hooked up to a Mac, the ink estimates say it's out and it therefore won't let me print. Anything. Even thought requesting test pages show that there's plenty of black ink.

It's an HP printer, and I did email them, but they gave me the old "we don't condone the use of refill kits" and left it at that. I could try to pressure 'em a bit more, but I just want to make sure that this Mac/PC coincidance is just that, or whether it's something with OS X that I need to tinker with.

Thanks in advance.
When Vin Diesel pops a can of Pringles, the fun stops after about fifteen minutes.
     
im_noahselby
Senior User
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Canada
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 26, 2005, 12:09 AM
 
Originally posted by AmericanPsych0:
It's an HP printer, and I did email them, but they gave me the old "we don't condone the use of refill kits" and left it at that. I could try to pressure 'em a bit more, but I just want to make sure that this Mac/PC coincidance is just that, or whether it's something with OS X that I need to tinker with.

Thanks in advance.
-It is true. HP wont come to your rescue when it comes to issues that arrise when using those self fill ink kits or unofficial ink in general.
-I believe Canon's & Epson's have a higher "ink refill" success rate, but I could be wrong.
-It all comes down to your values: Which is more important to you: your time (dealing with printer issues) or your money? If you damage your printer, you throw away your time and your money. Is this a risk you are willing to take?

My personal stance: The savings involved in using unofficial inks isn't worth the hassle or the risk of damage to my printer. For most people I would advise them to play it safe and just buy the real inks.

Noah
( Last edited by im_noahselby; Jan 26, 2005 at 12:19 AM. )
Macbook 2.0 Ghz - Black
iPhone 4GB - Fido
     
tooki
Admin Emeritus
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Zurich, Switzerland
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 26, 2005, 12:51 AM
 
It has nothing to do with the computer it's hooked up to, and all to do with the model of printer.

All the recent HP printers remember the serial numbers (and in some cases, the country of sale) of the last 3 print cartridges. After it senses that a cartridge has gone empty, it won't recognize it again.

What you can do is keep 3 empty cartridges around, swap in each one (so that the one you want to put in has been forgotten), and then you should be able to run the refilled cartridge.

Most Epson printers since about 1999 have a chip in the cartridge to prevent refilling.

Most Canon cartridges do not have any chips, and can be refilled -- but Canon cartridges are almost as cheap as refill ink.

tooki
     
Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: 888500128, C3, 2nd soft.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 26, 2005, 04:39 AM
 
HP has announced that it's starting to REGION-CODE their ink cartridges now!

Ink Nazis.

Avoid them.
     
Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Great White North
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 27, 2005, 03:19 AM
 
Originally posted by tooki:
It has nothing to do with the computer it's hooked up to, and all to do with the model of printer.

All the recent HP printers remember the serial numbers (and in some cases, the country of sale) of the last 3 print cartridges. After it senses that a cartridge has gone empty, it won't recognize it again.

What you can do is keep 3 empty cartridges around, swap in each one (so that the one you want to put in has been forgotten), and then you should be able to run the refilled cartridge.

Most Epson printers since about 1999 have a chip in the cartridge to prevent refilling.

Most Canon cartridges do not have any chips, and can be refilled -- but Canon cartridges are almost as cheap as refill ink.

tooki
easy way past that is to unplug your printer from USB and Power for 30 minutes, I found that got past it on the Photosmart 1XXX series.
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(
     
drews85
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Boston
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 27, 2005, 08:07 PM
 
do these chips interfere with people using non brand ink cartridges? i use a canon i850 with a non brand ink cartirdge and it works great and i print tons of pictures regularly but im thinking of a new printer, and would like to continue to use these inks, as i get the cartridges for a buck or two a piece.
     
tooki
Admin Emeritus
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Zurich, Switzerland
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 28, 2005, 01:18 AM
 
The chips were designed precisely to prevent the use of non-original cartridges, both third-party and refilled ones.

All of Canon's inkjet printers use ink tanks with no chips.

Spheric Harlot: i mentioned the region coding in my post above yours. I am surprised about it though, since the EU is requiring printer manufacturers to cease using chips in 2006 (I think, it could be 2007).

tooki
     
voteforpedro68
Banned
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Running for President
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 28, 2005, 04:03 AM
 
Originally posted by Spheric Harlot:
HP has announced that it's starting to REGION-CODE their ink cartridges now!

Ink Nazis.

Avoid them.
Along with HP's "STELLAR" osx support... I had photosmart 7550, a top of hte line HP with the little LCD screen and everything, ... "SUPPORTS OSX", yeah, except the card reader didn't work and it only printed half the time. I called their tech support many times. Their advice? Buy the newer model.

What a bunch of jackasses. I'll never own an HP again.
     
Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: 888500128, C3, 2nd soft.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 28, 2005, 06:20 AM
 
Originally posted by tooki:
Spheric Harlot: i mentioned the region coding in my post above yours. I am surprised about it though, since the EU is requiring printer manufacturers to cease using chips in 2006 (I think, it could be 2007).
Nothing surprises me wrt HP anymore.

I know you'd mentioned it, but you only said "in some cases", while recent announcements indicate that it will become HP standard policy, worldwide.
     
tooki
Admin Emeritus
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Zurich, Switzerland
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 28, 2005, 12:20 PM
 
"In some cases" because not every HP printer and cartridge on the market uses the codes. It may be true of all future models, but certainly not true of all current ones.

I'm curious as to how HP's gonna pull this off with the EU though!

tooki
     
chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: Las Vegas, NV, USA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 28, 2005, 01:40 PM
 
I refilled my HP ink cartridges and the instruction that came with the refill kit told me how to get the printer to recognize the refilled cartridge. Didn't yours? What model is your printer and cartridge?

Chris
     
im_noahselby
Senior User
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Canada
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 29, 2005, 01:15 AM
 
Originally posted by voteforpedro68:
Along with HP's "STELLAR" osx support... I had photosmart 7550, a top of hte line HP with the little LCD screen and everything, ... "SUPPORTS OSX", yeah, except the card reader didn't work and it only printed half the time. I called their tech support many times. Their advice? Buy the newer model.

What a bunch of jackasses. I'll never own an HP again.
I've never had a single problem with Mac OS X and the many HP printers I have used over the years. I currently have a HP Photosmart 7660. Works like a champ and is the best printer I've ever owned. To each his own.

Noah
Macbook 2.0 Ghz - Black
iPhone 4GB - Fido
     
AmericanPsych0  (op)
Junior Member
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 30, 2005, 12:08 AM
 
Originally posted by chabig:
I refilled my HP ink cartridges and the instruction that came with the refill kit told me how to get the printer to recognize the refilled cartridge. Didn't yours? What model is your printer and cartridge?

Chris
I looked back at the instruction guide and it gives a link to the troubleshooting portion of their site, and that explains everything. Thanks.

But it was sorta weird. After I updated the driver from 2.1.3 to 2.5 (I have an HP DeskJet 3650) it let me print, even though it still says the cartridge is empty. *Shrugs*
When Vin Diesel pops a can of Pringles, the fun stops after about fifteen minutes.
     
   
Thread Tools
 
Forum Links
Forum Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Top
Privacy Policy
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:19 PM.
All contents of these forums © 1995-2017 MacNN. All rights reserved.
Branding + Design: www.gesamtbild.com
vBulletin v.3.8.8 © 2000-2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.,