Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > ADP2,1 - Intel dev systems are out

ADP2,1 - Intel dev systems are out
Simon
Posting Junkie
Jun 23, 2005, 01:50 AM

ThinkSecret has a report on the new Intel Mac developer systems Apple calls ADP2,1.

Apparently they install and boot windows perfectly fine. The Tiger install disc didn't boot another PC however (Darwin error).

Here are some specs:
• Intel P4, 3.6 GHz, HT
• 2MB L2 cache, 800 MHz main bus
• 1 GB RAM
• Intel Media Accelerator 800

Pics are here:
http://www.thinksecret.com/cgi-bin/p...p=0506intelmac

Tenacious Dyl
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 23, 2005, 02:08 AM

Would expect some pictures / screen shots of Mac OS X running on this new intel computer in the g5 case. Pictures of windows running on an intel board seem rather fruitless...
yep.

bradleykavin
Jun 23, 2005, 04:13 AM

are the macs they are going to sell, going to have the same 32-bit p4 3.6? i thought the whole new era was with 64-bit or is this going to be dropped because mac is now with intel?
Powermac G5, Dual 1.8 8x superdrive, 250 gig startup drive 80 gig seconday drive, nvidia 6800 gt, logitech z-5500

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jun 23, 2005, 04:31 AM

Originally Posted by bradleykavin
are the macs they are going to sell, going to have the same 32-bit p4 3.6? i thought the whole new era was with 64-bit or is this going to be dropped because mac is now with intel?
Please repeat after me:

a) Apple probably has no plans to make a Mac with a Pentium 4 ever besides the developer preview systems. The real ones will have a Pentium M.
b) Desktop Intel Macs are not coming until 2008, at which point this processor will be really really old.
c) These aren't machines that will ever be released in any form to the consumer.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jun 23, 2005, 04:32 AM

Originally Posted by Tenacious Dyl
Would expect some pictures / screen shots of Mac OS X running on this new intel computer in the g5 case. Pictures of windows running on an intel board seem rather fruitless...
Why? OS X on an Intel Mac looks exactly the same as OS X running on a PowerPC Mac.
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

hcorf
Forum Regular
Jun 23, 2005, 06:22 AM

you seem to be forgetting osx no intel is the new thing here, those boxes are a cheap pc inside a g5 case, nothing more. I guess people want to see the "miracle" of osx on x86, and find out how fast these boxes are.
PB 15" 1.5ghz : 1gig : Combo

Agent69
Mac Elite
Jun 23, 2005, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by bradleykavin
If you look at Intel's P4 information, the only regular P4s with 2MB of L2 cache are the 6xx series, which feature EM64T. So yes, it is a 64bit capable processor.
Agent69

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jun 23, 2005, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by goMac
Please repeat after me:

a) Apple probably has no plans to make a Mac with a Pentium 4 ever besides the developer preview systems. The real ones will have a Pentium M.
b) Desktop Intel Macs are not coming until 2008, at which point this processor will be really really old.
c) These aren't machines that will ever be released in any form to the consumer.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

:XI:
Mac Elite
Jun 23, 2005, 08:01 AM

Please repeat after me:

a) Apple probably has no plans to make a Mac with a Pentium 4 ever besides the developer preview systems. The real ones will probably have a Pentium M.
Until Apple announce what they're shipping, you're presenting rumours as facts. I don't care what 'apple told you unofficially' or whatever your story is.

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Jun 23, 2005, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by :XI:
Until Apple announce what they're shipping, you're presenting rumours as facts. I don't care what 'apple told you unofficially' or whatever your story is.
What else would they use ? All the CPUs on Intels roadmap are Pentium M's or derived CPUs..

Don't even dream about a custom CPU for Apple.

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

:XI:
Mac Elite
Jun 23, 2005, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by Goldfinger
What else would they use ? All the CPUs on Intels roadmap are Pentium M's or derived CPUs..

Don't even dream about a custom CPU for Apple.
I'm not dreaming about a custom CPU, all I've found on what CPUs are rumoured to be going in the new macs are "Pentium-M successor or derivative" So... um... not a Pentium-M then?

Care to link me to Intel's roadmap? I can't seem to find one that goes beyond December '05 on intel.com. I must be blind.

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 23, 2005, 10:51 AM

Well, like it or not, he's kind of right. Educated guesses always mention P-M successors, not today's P-Ms. The lower end will probably get dual-core P-M successors called 'Jonah' while the Power Mac will get a dual-core 64 bit 'Conroe' chip.

No way in the world would Apple go from marketing dual 64 bit systems to cheap generic P4 boards. The ADP2,1 is a dev system and will never ship to customers; the only similarity to the Intel systems Apple will ship is the x86 ISA. It makes zero sense to try to predict Apple's future system specs by looking at the ADP. I think it's time everybody gets clear on this.

CatOne
Mac Elite
Jun 23, 2005, 12:12 PM

Please repeat after me:

2008? C'mon, dude, that Catholic education's got ya down.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 23, 2005, 12:22 PM

Apple has said they 'hope' to be done with the transition by the end of 2007. But in Steve time, that 'hope' word gives Apple a window through 2008.

Additionally, if IBM does pull the 980 out of their hat any time in the next two years, you can bet Apple will juice it for all it is worth before going to Intel in the Power Macs, even if it means sticking with a PowerPC lineup past the 2007 time frame. The 970 is already faster clock for clock than anything Intel has planned in the immediate future. The 980 is a POWER5 derivative, and among other things it is said to offer a 50% performance boost clock for clock over the 970. Intel does not have anything planned that can compete with it.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 23, 2005, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by Lateralus
The 980 is a POWER5 derivative, and among other things it is said to offer a 50% performance boost clock for clock over the 970. Intel does not have anything planned that can compete with it.
Actually, they probably do.

The reason Apple went withy Intel is because their roadmap is more promising than IBM's. If the 980 will ever make it from PowerPoint slides to silicon, Intel will probably offer a lower power consumption chip that is competitive. OTOH the 980 might just be a piece of big-hype vaporware and Apple rather trusts Intel to deliver Yonah, Merom, and Conroe.

I'm pretty sure Apple gets better information from Intel than any dude posting on forums like these and you can be sure as hell they want the fastest, coolest and cheapest CPU around. If Apple switches to Intel, it's because their plans for the future put IBM to shame. Like a 970 which embarrassed its design team (and Apple's CEO) with a mere 30% flops increase in two full years instead of a 45% increase in one.

Tyre MacAdmin
Mac Elite
Jun 23, 2005, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by Simon
Actually, they probably do.

The reason Apple went withy Intel is because their roadmap is more promising than IBM's.
I would say that the reason they went with Intel is because the average joe will look at the ghz and say it's the fastest chip.

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 23, 2005, 01:40 PM

Which is actually quite true.

A 3.6 GHz P4 is faster in average use than a single 970. A P-M 1.7GHz is faster than a G4 1.67 GHz in average use.

The PowerPC was a good chip when it trumped Intel. That was about three times in history for a short period of time. Now, it's good Apple is going with the people developing the fastest and coolest mass market chips. Freescale might develop 10 Watt 7448 and IBM might develop POWER5, but none of that is what Macs need most. I'm pretty confident Apple did the right thing, even though it doesn't sound nice.

G5man
Forum Regular
Jun 23, 2005, 02:15 PM

the pics have been out for awhile FYI.

Tyre MacAdmin
Mac Elite
Jun 23, 2005, 04:03 PM

What I'm looking for is OS X integration in to vmware's line of products.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jun 23, 2005, 04:42 PM

D'oh? 2008? Yeah... 2007...

Repeat to self:
2005 + 2 = 2007. 2005 +2 = 2007...

Catfish_Man
Mac Elite
Jun 23, 2005, 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by Lateralus
Apple has said they 'hope' to be done with the transition by the end of 2007. But in Steve time, that 'hope' word gives Apple a window through 2008.

Additionally, if IBM does pull the 980 out of their hat any time in the next two years, you can bet Apple will juice it for all it is worth before going to Intel in the Power Macs, even if it means sticking with a PowerPC lineup past the 2007 time frame. The 970 is already faster clock for clock than anything Intel has planned in the immediate future. The 980 is a POWER5 derivative, and among other things it is said to offer a 50% performance boost clock for clock over the 970. Intel does not have anything planned that can compete with it.
The 980 has one serious flaw, which is that it has never been publicly confirmed to exist (in fact, IBM has said that no single-core POWER5 derivatives will ever exist, and a dual core POWER5 derivative sounds like.... a POWER5). Frankly I'd be surprised if it ever appears, simply due to the fact that Apple doesn't sell enough processors to support development of a modern cpu.

zed57
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 24, 2005, 11:24 PM

Intel has P4's with 64 bit extensions so if Apple wants to stay 64 bit they can. However, any Intel CPU coming out in the next year will probably be a step up from the G5 I think?

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Jun 25, 2005, 12:23 AM

Please repeat after me:

Unlikely. As the others have suggested, don't confuse Pentium M with future desktop chips, because they aren't the same thing, even though they may share a heritage.

2006 and 2007. Quite possibly 2006 for the low end desktops, and 2007 for the Power Macs.

Probably true.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jun 25, 2005, 02:29 AM

Originally Posted by Eug Wanker
Unlikely. As the others have suggested, don't confuse Pentium M with future desktop chips, because they aren't the same thing, even though they may share a heritage.
The next desktop Pentiums are derived from Pentium M's. Also, you can now use the Pentium M in a desktop. The proper slot converters have been release. Pre-liminary benchmarks have them sailing past the 3.6 ghz P4 when they use desktop cooling. My guess is the Mac mini will get a Pentium M.

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 25, 2005, 03:29 AM

Current P-Ms are single-core. Apple will probably use dual-core models like Yonah (eMac, mini, iBook), Merom (PowerBook) and Conroe (PowerMac).

Forum Links
Forum Rules