Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > How often do you repair permissions? ...

How often do you repair permissions? ...
cmeisenzahl
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 7, 2005, 09:45 AM

From what I've read in the last 6 months, it seems like many of us do it quite often. I've had an iBook since March. Over the weekend I did it for the first time and there were about 20 items repaired. I had no problems before that, but felt like I was missing out. ;-)

How often do you repair permissions in OS X?

Chris

RevEvs
Mac Elite
Nov 7, 2005, 10:29 AM

I just set mine to be a cron job, goes every night at midnight.
I free'd my mind... now it won't come back.

cybergoober
Mac Elite
Nov 7, 2005, 11:39 AM

Only when I have a problem that I think it might remedy... i.e. not very often.

Grrr
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 7, 2005, 11:43 AM

Every couple of weeks or so. And after big installs/updates. Plus i'll do it on the odd occasion I notice anything strange going on with the OS.
The worst thing about having a failing memory is..... no, it's gone.

CaptainHaddock
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 7, 2005, 12:01 PM

Never.

Never had a problem, either.

jmgriff
Nov 7, 2005, 12:06 PM

Before and after installing system updates or large applications. Probably every couple of weeks otherwise.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 7, 2005, 12:47 PM

I never repair permissions.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Nov 7, 2005, 01:00 PM

I do it when I have a permissions problem. How silly would it be to keep repairing them when they weren't doing anything wrong?
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Nov 7, 2005, 01:19 PM

Pretty silly, but that won't stop people from doing it (and also advising newbies that don't know any better to waste their time doing it as well).

You don't need to repair permissions unless you are having a permission-related problem. Period. It's not necessary to do it before or after an OS update, it's not necessary to do it every night, and it's not necessary to do it before installing the OS.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

P
Nov 7, 2005, 01:31 PM

Never ever. I tweak my permissions on occaison, so it would just be counterproductive.

CatOne
Mac Elite
Nov 7, 2005, 03:56 PM

Mac people do it WAY too often. They typically don't understand what it really does, and they think a whole lot of maladies can be fixed by repairing permissions. Which they cannot. You cannot address ANYTHING in your home folder with "Repair Permissions," because there is not a BOM in /Library/Receipts for them. Have a look in /Library/Receipts, to see the specific things the OS knows about and can "fix" with repair permissions.

The great advances in science came when people started figuring out they could LEARN how things work, and not just accept things blindly (like, say, that the sun was carried across the sun in a chariot -- people actually believed this in the Roman days). Take some time to think about what you're doing, and whether it could have an affect, don't just throw prophylactics at things and think it will fix anything.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 7, 2005, 04:15 PM

Before and after brushing my teeth, each morning and evening.

Actually, maybe once every few months, if I'm having permissions-related problems. Third-party installers can mung things up, like the startup items folder.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 7, 2005, 04:15 PM

It's that darn quick-reply button, I'm tellin' ya.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

barney ntd
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 7, 2005, 04:55 PM

After installing anything old which uses a classic installer. Some of these really mess up permissions, especially classic Vise. Also after booting in classic, just in case (because OS 9 ignores permissions, so important things can get changed).

Otherwise, never. Remember that the "We are using special permissions..." messages appear even if nothing needs changing, so they don't mean anything was wrong.

Person Man
Professional Poster
Nov 7, 2005, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by barney ntd
Otherwise, never. Remember that the "We are using special permissions..." messages appear even if nothing needs changing, so they don't mean anything was wrong.
Which is why I don't think they should be displayed at all. It makes people think there was a problem.

I hardly ever repair my permissions, and I certainly don't repair them before or after a system update.

There was only one time repairing permissions actually fixed something and that was when my mother called me and said "Appleworks won't work any more." I tried everything I could think of, and it only bounced a few times in the dock and wouldn't start. Everything else worked. I repaired permissions as a last resort, and it worked.

Now, getting my mother off AppleWorks entirely is another matter...

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Nov 7, 2005, 06:50 PM

When I'm bored.

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

jon l. dawson
Forum Regular
Nov 7, 2005, 10:02 PM

Whenever there's been a need,... which so far has been never.

SMacTech
Mac Elite
Nov 7, 2005, 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by jon l. dawson
Whenever there's been a need,... which so far has been never.
There was that one time, I forget why, but after I ran it, everything worked.

bowwowman
Mac Elite
Nov 8, 2005, 12:23 AM

only when my momma tells me to
like the good little boy that I am !
Personally I find it hilarious that you have the hots for my gramma. Especially seeins how she is 3x your age, and makes your Brittney-Spears-wannabe 30-something wife look like a rag doll who went thru WWIII with a burning stick of dynamite up her a** :)

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Nov 8, 2005, 12:24 AM

I do it every full moon to maximize the effect!

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 8, 2005, 03:17 AM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - -
I do it every full moon to maximize the effect!
That only works if you do the ceremonial dance beforehand.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

JLL
Professional Poster
Nov 8, 2005, 04:20 AM

Almost never.
JLL

- My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.

alphasubzero949
Mac Elite
Nov 8, 2005, 04:49 AM

Only after installing Flash Player or anything else that could screw up the permissions.

wtmcgee
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 8, 2005, 08:47 AM

before and after OS updates, that's about it though.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Nov 8, 2005, 08:55 AM

Repairing permissions regularly is akin to rebooting or shutting down regularly (instead of sleep mode). It's essentially unnecessary but some people have been conditioned to practice it ritualistically, and it makes them feel good inside.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

m.brown
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 8, 2005, 09:32 AM

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 8, 2005, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by Big Mac
Repairing permissions regularly is akin to rebooting or shutting down regularly (instead of sleep mode). It's essentially unnecessary but some people have been conditioned to practice it ritualistically, and it makes them feel good inside.
My Mac uses 2.5 Watt when shut down and 12 Watt when in sleep mode (yes, I measured that). I wouldn't say that shutting down is "unnecessary" (unless your mommy still pays your electricity bill).

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Nov 8, 2005, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by TETENAL
My Mac uses 2.5 Watt when shut down and 12 Watt when in sleep mode (yes, I measured that). I wouldn't say that shutting down is "unnecessary" (unless your mommy still pays your electricity bill).
But doesn't it take more power than normal while it's booting up?

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 8, 2005, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by CharlesS
But doesn't it take more power than normal while it's booting up?
I don't think so. Why should it? But I will reboot for you and measure it.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 8, 2005, 08:47 PM

OK, you were right, it uses more power when booting up for whatever reason (maybe CPU speed is not reduced yet). When booting it uses about 190 Watt. It's at 130 Watt in the login window and uses not quite 140 Watt now in Safari (I usually see about 145 Watt for normal usage).

So I am "wasting" 190 Watt for about 40 seconds when booting up (that's 2 Watt/h) but I'm saving 10 Watt for 12 to 14 hours when it's off instead of sleeping. I'm better off turning it off.

jasong
Mac Elite
Nov 8, 2005, 08:59 PM

Never. And I pity the fool who does
-- Jason

ogun
Nov 9, 2005, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by cmeisenzahl
From what I've read in the last 6 months, it seems like many of us do it quite often. I've had an iBook since March. Over the weekend I did it for the first time and there were about 20 items repaired. I had no problems before that, but felt like I was missing out. ;-)

How often do you repair permissions in OS X?

Chris
I repair permissions for two reasons:

1 after installing certain software, particularly drivers for HP printers or MFDs. HP's installers used to reliably install stuff with the wrong permissions, and sometimes it was an adventure to get HP printers to print properly. HP seem to have learned recently, the last few HP drivers I installed didn't need to have permissions updated, so I'll be avoiding repairing permissions after an install unless and until there's a problem.

2 after getting certain types of problems with 3rd-party apps. Repairing permissions sometimes gets the app to behave. I don't have those kind of problems often.

Agent69
Mac Elite
Nov 9, 2005, 11:36 AM

I generally don't repair permissions because I have never had a problem, as far as I know. I will do one after installing a point release update but I did it just as a precaution.

I do have two permissions related questions though.

01. Where does Mac OS X get the values it uses for permission checking?
02. How does one set the umask value for a user?
Agent69

JKT
Professional Poster
Nov 9, 2005, 11:40 AM

The default permissions are taken from the .pkg receipts placed in /Library/Receipts.

egadsby
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 9, 2005, 11:56 AM

I have found that permissions repair is good "first step" in looking at the kind of lab problems I encounter at the college. About 1/2 the time it fixes the issue I'm looking at
Peace, Love, & Understanding,
Eric Thomas Gadsby
Goucher College’s Departments of Art and Science
[email protected]

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 9, 2005, 12:02 PM

I repair permissions when things start getting wonky - like icons looking weird or incorrect file creator types on documents, or whenever I want that clean fresh minty feeling.

A restart usually repairs things just as well, but I normally never restart or shutdown (except for updates).

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Nov 9, 2005, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by osiris
I repair permissions when things start getting wonky - like icons looking weird or incorrect file creator types on documents
Those are generally caused by LaunchServices-related issues, not permissions.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 9, 2005, 03:56 PM

Those are generally caused by LaunchServices-related issues, not permissions.
I'm a bit confused - why then would repairing permissions restore my strange icons? Do LaunchServices require permissions?

thanks

ginoledesma
Mac Elite
Nov 10, 2005, 12:19 AM

Rarely. I know that it's different strokes for different folks, but if Apple strongly believed that repairing permissions was "essential" I'd figure they'd roll it in during the optimizing stage of a major package install/update.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Nov 10, 2005, 03:02 AM

Originally Posted by osiris
I'm a bit confused - why then would repairing permissions restore my strange icons? Do LaunchServices require permissions?

thanks
What did you do after you repaired permissions? Reboot? Log out/in?

Probably that's actually what did it.

At any rate, your documents aren't going to show up in any of the receipts, so Repair Permissions isn't going to touch your documents with bad icons / wrong creator codes. If you've been having these types of problems a lot, I'd go into /Library/Caches, delete everything that starts with com.apple.launchservices, and reboot.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 10, 2005, 10:31 AM

What did you do after you repaired permissions? Reboot? Log out/in?

Probably that's actually what did it.

At any rate, your documents aren't going to show up in any of the receipts, so Repair Permissions isn't going to touch your documents with bad icons / wrong creator codes. If you've been having these types of problems a lot, I'd go into /Library/Caches, delete everything that starts with com.apple.launchservices, and reboot.
I did log out, so that would explain it. I'm going to clear the caches now. Thank you!

lou91940
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 11, 2005, 02:19 AM

Ok so running repair permissions isn't as necessary as I thought.... so what about occasionally zapping the pram? does that still do any housecleaning?

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Nov 11, 2005, 02:59 AM

Originally Posted by lou91940
Ok so running repair permissions isn't as necessary as I thought.... so what about occasionally zapping the pram? does that still do any housecleaning?
If you're having boot problems or other strange things happening at boot time, yes. Otherwise, I wouldn't worry too much about the PRAM. Certainly there's no need to zap it on a regular basis.

Forum Links
Forum Rules