Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Team MacNN > Team Stats

Team Stats
OneMacGuy
Senior User
Aug 12, 2005, 06:58 AM

What keeps happening to the team stats for folding? Is there a news topic somewhere that I am not seeing?
Chappaquidick 1, Cheney 0

Scotttheking
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 14, 2005, 01:44 PM

I should post one.

Hopefully people will stop touching the ethernet cables.
My website
Help me pay for college. Click for more info.

OneMacGuy  (op)
Senior User
Oct 5, 2005, 04:43 AM

Teamstats for F@H have been down for a couple of days now. Same error message as before, something about too many connectino to the database.

beadman
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 5, 2005, 07:54 AM

Same thing happened to me last night when I was trying to access Einstein stats and SETI BOINC stats.

beadman

reader50
Administrator
Oct 5, 2005, 08:05 AM

This would happen when I'm occupied in the real world.

Same symptoms as a couple weeks ago, DB box has a load ~85. I've turned off most of the crons for now, hopefully that will clear the overload within an hour as running scripts time out. Data will still be gathered on MacNN and some other teams, but most of the heavier processing will wait until later.

We need to figure out if we're being slammed by web spiders, if some teams are too big, or if it's something else. My poking around last time was inconclusive.

ps - feel free to post right away if you see an error message like that. Scott is in school, and my schedule has been erratic for the past week. I don't think either of us is checking the boxes regularly right now.

OneMacGuy  (op)
Senior User
Oct 7, 2005, 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by OneMacGuy
Teamstats for F@H have been down for a couple of days now. Same error message as before, something about too many connectino to the database.
Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it is broke again. It has been REALLY slow for the last couple of days since you got it back up too.

OneMacGuy  (op)
Senior User
Oct 8, 2005, 03:45 PM

It is down again, the same error message.

Scotttheking
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 10, 2005, 11:54 AM

I turned off the web server until such time as what's causing this overload can be figured out.
My website

reader50
Administrator
Oct 11, 2005, 10:05 PM

I'm exploring load checking, so background scripts will wait, then abort, if load is too high when they try to launch. Might have to do that on page loads too.

There are only two changes that were made right before it started overloading:
1) We went from 5 to 8 projects.
2) We publicly posted a link into the team ranks section for the first time.

Load checking will help or fix it if the problem is #1. If we just suddenly got really popular from #2, then load checking will be only a partial fix. Most of the queries I've seen from overloads were aimed at the team ranks sections for seti 1/2.

If we are super popular with a web spider, we'll have to firewall off someone.

OneMacGuy  (op)
Senior User
Oct 14, 2005, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by Chris Taile
TAILE TEAM OWNS¬!!!?1/1//11one!!"!1!
Is this some kinda geek code? Maybe it is just an idiot with too much time on his hands and not enough IQ points to know what to do with it.....

siliconman
Oct 19, 2005, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by Scotttheking
I turned off the web server until such time as what's causing this overload can be figured out.
Any progress?

-David

OneMacGuy  (op)
Senior User
Oct 19, 2005, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by siliconman
Any progress?
Please say YES!! I am having stats withdrawal!!!!!

reader50
Administrator
Oct 20, 2005, 12:37 AM

Sorry about the silence, guys. It hit at a bad time. I've been terminally afflicted with relatives and guests for awhile.

Prototype code is roughed out for load control, with various script types that will delay or abort at successively higher loads. It just hasn't had enough free time to get it all working.

The <s>personal space invaders</s> honored guests have gone away, so I'll be able to pick away at this a lot more.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 20, 2005, 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by reader50
I've been terminally afflicted with relatives and guests for awhile.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

cwasko
Senior User
Oct 20, 2005, 07:01 PM

Please say YES!! I am having stats withdrawal!!!!!
Same here... I'm getting the jitters...

Scotttheking
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 21, 2005, 12:13 AM

Not sure when this happened, but it could be contributing to the problem:

Escalade CLI> info c0 u0
Controller 0, Unit 0
---------------------
Unit Type: RAID 1
Size: 41.17 GB (80416192 blocks)
# of subunits: 2

Subunit 0: CBOD: OK
Physical Port: 0
Logical Port: 0

Subunit 1: CBOD: DRIVE INACCESSABLE
Physical Port: 1
Logical Port: 1
( Last edited by Scotttheking; Oct 23, 2005 at 11:56 AM. )
My website

reader50
Administrator
Oct 21, 2005, 12:48 AM

It does look like we lost a hard drive. It's in the DB server, which uses a pair of 40 GB drives in hardware RAID-1 to hold the DB. Losing a drive will cause the read speed to be cut in half.

This may well be the problem. I noticed before that the sample queries were hitting the SETI tables. What I didn't trip to was they tended to be hitting larger tables in general. Like perhaps the DB box was getting stuck on slow read responses while working on large tables.

Right now, we're planning to replace both drives with newer ones. That will produce a nice boost in DB response speed. More info as we get it.

OneMacGuy  (op)
Senior User
Oct 21, 2005, 07:48 AM

I just happen to have a couple of "new" 36 GB 10,000 RPM Cheetah Ultra 320 SCSI drives, 68 pin SCSI connectors, if they would help get the servers back up. Of course you would need an Ultra LVD SCSI raid controller to really get the max use from them. Let me know, I can send them next week if needed.

reader50
Administrator
Oct 21, 2005, 05:29 PM

It currently uses a PATA RAID card. I was ready to order Scott a pair of new drives last night, when we ran into a holdup. Scott won't have decent access to the servers until he goes home in late December.

This could turn into a real problem. I'll have to let Scott post what he thinks, including about the SCSI drives.

In the meantime, we'll back up the DB to a different HD and I'll keep working on load controls for script execution. The DB may get moved off the RAID to another HD in the server box - one intended for backups, but it's probably faster than the single drive remaining in the RAID.

Scotttheking
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 23, 2005, 11:55 AM

Fun random statistics:

I rebooted the box last night after almost 300 days of uptime, because there appeared to be a memory leak somewhere, and now of all times I didn't have the energy to deal with it, so I rebooted instead.
Box has been up 11 hours and 13 minutes.
In that time the 'raid' is averaging 80 transaction requests per second, reading 400KB/sec, writing 84KB/sec.
Since it's been rebooted, assuming I'm reading this right, 16GB has been read from the drive, and 3.3GB has been written to it.
In other words, those drives get thrashed.

The "backup" drive that's on the box is about 50% faster than what remains of the raid, which isn't surprising. I assume the 60GXP died, which means the other drive is only about 2 years old, and is a Hitachi Deskstar from a few generations ago. The new backup drive was installed last December, and is a Seagate of some kind.

I will attempt to move the DB over to the backup drive at some point, but it might not be for another week.

As far as new HDs, I can't take SCSI because I don't have a raid card for them, and I'm not sure the case could handle the heat load from 2 10k RPM drives.
I'd want to replace both drives to maintain a semblance of a matched pair.
I did not setup LVM (lazy me) so if I wanted more space (which I don't need) I'd need to rebuild the box, which isn't something I want to do. So, I'd probably replicate to a new drive, and only use 40GB of it, then put the other drive in. Should give a small speed boost, but it involves buying new HDs, and me getting over there somehow, and other annoying things. I'll worry about it once I'm closer to having access. But, me going in there to fix something may very well result in me being asked to remove the equipment alltogether.

So that's where things stand.

For anyone wondering, teamstats is actually 2 machines.
Box1 is the webserver, with a single 40GB deskstar (60GXP), 768MB of ram, athlon xp 2400.
Box2 is the database server, with dual 40GB Deskstars (one dead right now), 1.5GB of ram, athlon xp 2400.
Both also have another drive for swap. They are 2-3 years old, maybe more! As a result of their age, parts are going to start failing.
I'm not sure what to do about them.

BTW, stats are currently online.

--Scott
My website

AZ Lynx
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 1, 2005, 05:01 AM

Now that F@H stats for your team are up, would you please, please, please try to get them working for the Ars Technica team? The stats you have provided are the best ones I've seen. And now the site whose stats I look at when your site is down -- their stats are having problems, too.

OneMacGuy  (op)
Senior User
Nov 1, 2005, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by AZ Lynx
Now that F@H stats for your team are up, would you please, please, please try to get them working for the Ars Technica team? The stats you have provided are the best ones I've seen. And now the site whose stats I look at when your site is down -- their stats are having problems, too.
A better answer for you might be to join "The Team" that has these great stats pages, and bring a bunch of your fellow ARS folks with you!

Scotttheking
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 1, 2005, 12:21 PM

Which ars team?
My website

OneMacGuy  (op)
Senior User
Nov 1, 2005, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by Scotttheking
Which ars team?
Any or All!

reader50
Administrator
Nov 2, 2005, 02:59 AM

AZ Lynx must be referring to Ars Technica Team Egg Roll on Folding@Home.

I'm sorry to say that we cannot reliably track this team. We did in the past, but the team kept growing. Once a team passes approx 1,500 members, it becomes prohibitive to process that team. Somewhere over 2,000 members, the server will lose it. Today, the team lists as 3,287 members.

This is much less of a problem for other stats sites, because they do not work over the data as much as we do. For certain of our processing scripts, the load scales with the square of the number of members on a team. With our current hardware, that gives us our max team sizes of 1,500-2,000+. Faster hardware would help, converting our PHP scripts to compiled C++ would help a lot more. Maybe.

----------------------
An update on load checking. The functions are written and my local shell scripts are about halfway adjusted to use the load checks. I expect to finish this up locally in time for a test run tomorrow night. Assuming all goes well, updated files will go on the teamstats servers within a day or two.

The load checks monitor the one-minute load average and delay/abort various scripts based on load and relative importance. This doesn't magically increase the server's capacity, but it will have the net effect of spreading the loads around more. I'm assuming the server still has adequate capacity, but gets overloaded if the load spikes. It then stays overloaded, because almost no scripts complete. At a 90 load, only the simplest script will complete before it times out. So you get an endless pile-on until Scott resets the box.

AZ Lynx
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 2, 2005, 09:19 AM

A better answer for you might be to join "The Team" that has these great stats pages, and bring a bunch of your fellow ARS folks with you!
Nice try Guy, but you probably wouldn't want me anyway. I have only 1 computer. It's only a 1.6GHz Athlon and it isn't even a Mac. :-) The way Macs think (OS) doesn't mesh very well with the way I think.

AZ Lynx
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 2, 2005, 09:24 AM

AZ Lynx must be referring to Ars Technica Team Egg Roll on Folding@Home.

I'm sorry to say that we cannot reliably track this team. We did in the past, but the team kept growing. Once a team passes approx 1,500 members, it becomes prohibitive to process that team. Somewhere over 2,000 members, the server will lose it. Today, the team lists as 3,287 members.
Reader 50, your reply makes me very, very sad. I really enjoyed the fact that your scripts worked the data over so much.
Waaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh!

p.s. - thanks for the quick reply.

OneMacGuy  (op)
Senior User
Nov 2, 2005, 11:30 AM

Nice try Guy, but you probably wouldn't want me anyway. I have only 1 computer. It's only a 1.6GHz Athlon and it isn't even a Mac. :-) The way Macs think (OS) doesn't mesh very well with the way I think.
You would be surprised how many of use PC's! Even though I think that a fair number of our PC users are running unix, now windows. I do run Windows on a number of PC's even though I still prefer the Mac. My farm is completely windows though, could never afford that much horsepower under Apple's brand!

mikkyo
Senior User
Nov 2, 2005, 09:50 PM

Never say never

reader50
Administrator
Nov 3, 2005, 03:07 AM

Scripts with load-check functions ran with one error on my system tonight. The error has been corrected - I'd missed an include statement in one file.

The test wasn't definitive, I had it set to always allow execution. But the new code didn't produce syntax errors or mess up the normal processing.

Over the next few days, I'll finish polishing it and migrate it to the servers.

reader50
Administrator
Nov 10, 2005, 03:12 AM

I am turning teamstats off for a time, in order to do updates. The updates add load checking to background processing, and fix an issue with Ranks stats totals on some BOINC projects.

I'll update this post when it's done and teamstats comes back online.

EDIT: It is done.
At the moment, only background scripts do load checks. Web page loads will likely get the check presently, especially if we have further load problems. If we don't have further problems, then I can look into Rosetta stats next.

The usual warning. Over 30 files got replaced. Please let us know if something breaks.
( Last edited by reader50; Nov 10, 2005 at 04:03 AM. )

OneMacGuy  (op)
Senior User
Nov 10, 2005, 01:10 PM

I am turning teamstats off for a time, in order to do updates. The updates add load checking to background processing, and fix an issue with Ranks stats totals on some BOINC projects.

I'll update this post when it's done and teamstats comes back online.

EDIT: It is done.
At the moment, only background scripts do load checks. Web page loads will likely get the check presently, especially if we have further load problems. If we don't have further problems, then I can look into Rosetta stats next.

The usual warning. Over 30 files got replaced. Please let us know if something breaks.
Hate to say it, but I don't think that the folding stats are working. I can't get to them right now anyway. I do not know about any of the others.

reader50
Administrator
Nov 10, 2005, 02:32 PM

Apache needed restarting on the web box, possibly it had run into the new thread limit. However, web-box load was below 0.1. The DB box load is holding around 7. That may be a load spike around this time, and looks like it is being kept under control.

I'll check in on the boxes a few times throughout the day. Hopefully it was just a hiccup.

Scotttheking
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 13, 2005, 11:09 PM

Me thinks the code is pausing, but it's not releasing memory, and thus the box is using 1.5GB of ram and 3.3GB of swap right now, and isn't very happy about it. Apache is eating the bulk of that memory.

I may be pretty busy when I go home this winter, and I'm only going for two weeks. Gotta go up and look at a house and other fun things. Hopefully I'll find a day for the servers.
My website

OneMacGuy  (op)
Senior User
Nov 17, 2005, 01:45 PM

Maybe it is time to quit tracking other teams stats until we can get our own teams stats reliable. Leave the links to the other teams stats pages active and instead put up a page with the info to join Team MacNN for each project. If their own team is supplying ssuch pitiful stats, maybe they will roll over here to get a "fix"!!

I would!

reader50
Administrator
Nov 23, 2005, 02:15 AM

News of sorts, teamstats appears to be offline. Ironically, Scott contacted me last night to let me know he'd be offline for a few days, and to check if anything was needed with regards to the servers. Nothing was.

So now they're down. No response to pings, no access of any kind. Could be a network outage in the building, could be a local power failure, or any number of other things. These sorts of problems usually happen around holidays.

Up until now, the DB box has been holding fairly well. OneMacGuy, we already do something like what you mention. As box load goes up, we abort processing for other teams before MacNN gets aborted. Processing catches up for everyone late at night when load is low.

Further news updates as I get them. If it's a network outage, the boxes will come back on their own. If it's a local power outage, I can reach the boxes and restart Apache/mysql after the boxes roboot. For anything else, we'll have to wait on Scott to get back.

Scott sortof on vacation
Nov 23, 2005, 05:06 PM

*shrug*
I didn't do it

Scotttheking
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 26, 2005, 07:42 PM

I can ping the [cisco] router.
I can ping the firewall.
I can't ping the server.

Either it decided to die, or someone decided to pull the plug out.
My website

Scotttheking
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 28, 2005, 09:27 PM

I can't ping www.
I just talked to someone, all 3 link lights are on on the switch, www is booted up and at the logon screen, and supposedly the firewall was not touched last week.
I don't know. I'll see if I can think of a way to remotely fix it, but it might just have to wait 3 weeks

Best guess: Someone messed with the firewall and changed the rules on it, but they said nothing was touched last week and I can't ask random people to do anything to it.
( Last edited by Scotttheking; Nov 28, 2005 at 09:44 PM. )
My website

beadman
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 1, 2005, 02:09 PM

Thaks for letting us know, Scott

beadman

Scotttheking
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 2, 2005, 12:47 AM

It's official, some idiot "didn't know what those rules were for, so they took them out".
I yelled at them, they might put the rules back.
Cost me 1.5 years of uptime they did. Garrr.
Might be back soon.

DON'T TOUCH THE DAMN FIREWALL YOU MORONS. IT'S SETUP JUST FINE. *Growl*
My website

beadman
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 10, 2005, 12:35 AM

I've reached my peak with the Team on Einstein - I got to #14 yesterday, and the only two remaining members with a lower RAC than mine are Shaktai and Cobra! If they both stay away, I could catch Cobra in a half year and Shaktai in a couple of years... Of course I'm only going to stay in #14 for a few days at the most because Knightrider and ianxwin are rapidly catching up with me. Guess I need to go buy a lottery ticket so I can win big and buy a computing farm.

beadman

mikkyo
Senior User
Dec 10, 2005, 05:24 AM

$599 X 10 = $5990
1.42GHz X 10 = 14.20 GHz
Nice farm that would be. quiet, efficient, small space (10 stacked in 2 rows of 5 is smaller than 1 desktop).

Now if you won the lottery...
$3M gets you 909 Quad Cores at 10GHz each

Shaktai
Mac Elite
Dec 11, 2005, 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by beadman
I could catch Cobra in a half year and Shaktai in a couple of years...

beadman
Hmmm! I wonder if I should do something about that? Maybe I should buy a lottery ticket as well. A couple of dozen quads ought to do the trick.
( Last edited by Shaktai; Dec 12, 2005 at 05:20 AM. )

ianxwin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 14, 2005, 12:52 PM

Sorry about that beadman - just pipped you.
Cannot afford a farm - so just use my systems at work.
Ian

That was rubbish I wrote!
please ignore and treat with the contempt it deserves.
ian
( Last edited by ianxwin; Dec 14, 2005 at 01:04 PM. )

Sppedy Seti
Dec 15, 2005, 12:13 PM

Just a quick note to congratulate you on having 2 hosts in the top 5, as of this morning at least. Good to see our Macs doing so well !

http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/top_hosts.php

Jim

Scotttheking
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 18, 2005, 02:10 PM

Wednesday todo (in order):
Acquire a vehicle (if not done Tuesday night) est: 30 mins
Go food shopping and get a slice of pizza while I'm at it: 2 hours
Get a haircut: 45 minutes
Put the firewall rules back in and bring the servers back online: 15 minutes
My website

reader50
Administrator
Dec 18, 2005, 04:10 PM

Your newegg.com order
HD 80GB MAXTOR 7200 8MB Cache ATA133 6L080P0 - OEM (Qty=2)

They're a pair of DiamondMax 10s, mostly because I've been pleased with a larger pair of DM10's in my own system. They are on the way to AZ.

We're not sure what day Scott will be able to swap drives, it won't be the above-mentioned Wednesday. The HDs will likely arrive Thursday or Friday.

They will be partitioned to use the first 40 GB of the space on each, and I'm expecting a decent boost in DB performance.

Scotttheking
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 19, 2005, 10:17 PM

[spam]
If enough people were to follow the second link in my profile (and the link actually works) and sign up I'd be willing to put half of what comes in towards a new server. It'd take a lot of people a year or more to amass a decent amount, but at that time it could go towards replacing equipment. FYI, the link is safe, it takes you to upromise.com and it's a sign up and info page.
We also have an amazon affiliate link on the front page of the team site.
[/spam]

Huge thanks to reader50 for sponsoring those drives. I'm glad he was able to, because I can't even sponsor my own food these days
*raises mlkshake in a toast*
Here's to no more part failures for a long time.
( Last edited by Scotttheking; Dec 19, 2005 at 10:24 PM. )
My website

Scotttheking
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 21, 2005, 05:34 PM

*Looks at box*
*Shakes box*
*Sends box to the bomb squad for testing*
My website

Forum Links
Forum Rules