Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Apple TV: Maximum file size for streaming?

Apple TV: Maximum file size for streaming?
BoulderDash
Mac Enthusiast
May 29, 2008, 07:28 PM

Hey there,
Is there a definitive answer as to what the maximum file size for streaming is, to the Apple TV?

I've read where there was a 4GB limit, that possibly isn't a limit anymore after Take 2:
Topic : Maximum movie size when streaming?

Where there is a 4GB limit:
Topic : File Won't Play

Where there isn't a 4GB limit:
Topic : ATV 4Gb file limit? I'm not so sure...

Which is correct? I tried to find official info on the Apple TV page and found none. Also, which number should one go by when trying to convert a file to under 4GB? For example, I just converted a file that, when "Get Info," states:

Size: 3.9 GB on disk (4,190,114,302 bytes)

The first size is under 4GB, but the second size is over 4GB. Hmm. Thanks in advance
BD

mduell
Posting Junkie
May 29, 2008, 08:30 PM

If there's a limit around 4GB, it's at 4GiB (4,294,967,296 bytes), so your file will play.

MPEG4 files over 4GiB need to be 64-bit (nothing to do with a 64-bit CPU), which Apple may have added support for with Take 2.

BoulderDash  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
May 29, 2008, 09:34 PM

Thanks... I now know that if there's a 4GB limit, the second number needs to be below 4,294,967,296 bytes (and I am at 4,190,114,302 bytes). So, that explains why my file works.

Now... is there a 4GB limit? Is there any Apple document that states this one way or the other?

To create files larger than 4GB in HandBrake, I know that I need to go into Preferences > Advanced > Advanced and check "Enable 64 bit mp4 file option". But, I don't want to do that if my files won't then play.

Thanks again,
BD

mduell
Posting Junkie
May 29, 2008, 10:50 PM

After a bit of Googling it looks like the ATV Take2 supports 64-bit MP4 containers, so files over 4GB with that option are fine.

Why do you have files over 4GB? Recompressed BluRay?

BoulderDash  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
May 29, 2008, 11:40 PM

Nah, they're old family movies that are about 3.5 hours long; that I'd like to convert at an "Average bitrate (kbps)" of 4000 with HandBrake. Like I do with my shorter movies, that are straddling 4GB.

I know that there are a lot of different thoughts on the "perfect" HandBrake setting... but being that I could not care less about file size thanks to two Drobos, I go with the above setting to ensure great quality on two ethernet-attached Apple TVs.

Can you post that Google link? Thanks!

frdmfghtr
Senior User
Jun 5, 2008, 08:46 AM

I've had long movies go over 4 GB as well, esp. when encoding with the latest version of Handbrake which supports 5.1 surround sound.

LOTR: Return of the King gave me fits when encoding until I tried using Handbrake 0.9.1, which does not support 5.1 surround sound; the encoding worked. I found the 64-bit option in Handbrake 0.9.2 today so I'm trying to encode another long movie: Lagaan (from India, which I highly recommend) is nearly 3.5 hours long and it was about 4.5 GB even without the surround sound. If it works I'm re-encoding ROTK.

frdmfghtr
Senior User
Jun 5, 2008, 06:59 PM

To follow-up...Lagaan encoded using the 64-bit option successfully (4.67 GB), and streamed from a 400 MHz iMac running 10.4.11 wirelessly via Airport Express to my Apple TV and played flawlessly. This confirms that Apple TV can stream 64-bit MP4 files.

BoulderDash  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 7, 2008, 09:37 AM

I concur... I also have had no problems with streaming/playing files over 4GB on my Apple TV's after enabling HandBrake's "64 Bit MP4" support (and enabling MetaX's "Enable support for large files - 64" [to tag them]).

Thanks guys,
BD

Forum Links
Forum Rules