Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Obama now wants to take over parent behavior?

Obama now wants to take over parent behavior?
besson3c
Clinically Insane
Nov 11, 2009, 03:53 PM

Michelle Obama On Sesame Street: Planting Gardens, Loving Vegetables (VIDEO)

Check out the second video here (it's not very long). The First Lady now wants to tell all parents how they should behave and what they should do with their kids? Who is the First Lady to tell parents what they should or shouldn't do with their kids? Does the government control these kids too?

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Nov 11, 2009, 03:57 PM

I'm not sure whether this is a joke or not since I can't be bothered to watch the video, but yes, this is how "Blairist" politicians operate. They want into your lives everywhere at all times.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

Cold Warrior
Nov 11, 2009, 03:58 PM

What exactly is she saying that's contentious?

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 11, 2009, 04:20 PM

Steak tastes better.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Nov 11, 2009, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
What exactly is she saying that's contentious?
It's not what's being said, it's who's saying it.

Stupid cow seems to think that just 'coz she lets Barry slip her a length that means she's got some kind of mandate. Cherie was the same.

loki74
Mac Elite
Nov 11, 2009, 05:36 PM

It's just another example of the celebrity hype surrounding the Obama clan. Just like little kids want to be like their favorite TV heroes, moms will want to be like Michelle to show how "with it" they are.

There's definitely a "cool factor" in any association with Barack and his cohorts, so naturally anyone who wants to get a slice of this cool will do things like this.

"In a world without walls or fences, what need have we for windows or gates?"

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 11, 2009, 05:52 PM

Exactly. How dare she tell parents to do this stuff to their kids. It is every parent's right to do the opposite of what she is telling them to do. Just because stupid cow is cool doesn't make it right.

I'm tempted to go have a kid just so that I can make sure it doesn't eat healthy food at Mr. Hooper's store, doesn't exercise, and doesn't read.

Demonhood
Administrator
Nov 11, 2009, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
It's not what's being said, it's who's saying it.

Stupid cow seems to think that just 'coz she lets Barry slip her a length that means she's got some kind of mandate. Cherie was the same.
yes, she should shut up so i can continue getting my parenting advice from the surly green muppet instead. like a normal person should.

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 11, 2009, 06:30 PM

I guess Obama doesn't want people to buy into the Grouch agenda.
( Last edited by besson3c; Nov 11, 2009 at 06:56 PM. )

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Nov 11, 2009, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by Demonhood View Post
yes, she should shut up so i can continue getting my parenting advice from the surly green muppet instead. like a normal person should.
If you need parenting advice from either, it's probably safe to post a picture of yourself on FAIL Blog.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Nov 11, 2009, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
Just because stupid cow is cool
Barry's Mrs is cool?
What? Did I fall into some kind of parallel universe or something?

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 11, 2009, 07:24 PM

It's indoctrination... plain and simple.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

placebo1969
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 11, 2009, 07:29 PM

"Slip her the a length"? Never heard of that one.

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 11, 2009, 07:34 PM

Barry's Mrs is cool?
What? Did I fall into some kind of parallel universe or something?
Loki says she's cool... I personally think that she is awesome.

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 11, 2009, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
You notice how Elmo simply adores Obama?

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Nov 11, 2009, 08:52 PM

omg
ebuddy

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Nov 11, 2009, 09:00 PM

So this thread is supposed to illustrate how absurd it is to concern yourself with inconsequential things like the Fed's increasing involvement in banking, housing, insurance, the auto industry, health care...

Sarcasm, indeed the lowest form of wit.
ebuddy

Dork.
Professional Poster
Nov 11, 2009, 09:27 PM

I guess Obama doesn't want people to buy into the Grouch agenda.
Its not the Grouch agenda that's the problem. Grouches are gruff on the outside, but pussycats on the inside. No, the problem lies elsewhere -- Have you ever noticed how Bert and Ernie have always lived together? Separate beds, but the same bedroom. And Ernie is also known to be fond of "playing" with his "rubber ducky" all the time.

How much do you want to bet there will be a "very special" Sesame Street episode where Bert and Ernie take Amtrak to Massachusetts?

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Nov 11, 2009, 09:31 PM

The evidence is there, kiddies...

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 11, 2009, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by ebuddy View Post
So this thread is supposed to illustrate how absurd it is to concern yourself with inconsequential things like the Fed's increasing involvement in banking, housing, insurance, the auto industry, health care...
Not exactly. I think it's supposed to speak to the personal dislike of Obama and his family in some quarters, and it's amusing that Doofy and loki have obliged besson's trolling.

stupendousman
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 11, 2009, 10:38 PM

You notice how Elmo simply adores Obama?
It's because Elmo is being brainwashed by one of those black democrats that keep coming back despite all the patronizing and being taken for granted.

It's a shame. Elmo seemed like such a smart monster.

Dork.
Professional Poster
Nov 11, 2009, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by stupendousman View Post
It's because Elmo is being brainwashed by one of those black democrats that keep coming back despite all the patronizing and being taken for granted.

It's a shame. Elmo seemed like such a smart monster.
First Bert and Ernie, now this? I think that man has his hand shoved up Elmo's ass!

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 11, 2009, 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
Totally agree.

Planting Gardens and Loving Vegetables?

What liberal tree-hugging crap is that.

Give me a gun and I'll come with the meat.

Michelle Obama should be teaching kids how to use guns to hunt and how to cut up and prepare the animal to be cooked later.
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 11, 2009, 11:15 PM

Funny thing, but I think someone should start telling parents about things like "your child is not your friend," and "a consistent schedule for the child's entire day provides the structure for your child to learn and grow." I see way too many parents using their children as fashion accessories, dressing them in (much less expensive) designer stuff and flaunting them like Paris flaunted her little dog. Bad. Very bad. Children absolutely need structure, consistency, and a sense that someone is actually both taking care of them and holding them accountable for their actions. Without those last two children learn that the world is capricious and that they can do whatever they want without consequences. Very, very bad.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Nov 11, 2009, 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by Dork. View Post
First Bert and Ernie, now this? I think that man has his hand shoved up Elmo's ass!
Elmo will do anything for a fix.

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 12, 2009, 12:40 AM

A good point is raised here. Why doesn't Sesame St. teach Conservative priinciples like learning how to defend yourself with a gun, or enjoying tax cuts?

When Elmo asked Obama what she was going to do in that sketch, would it have been asking too much for Elmo to say "that sounds boring, I think I'm going to clean my guns"?

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Nov 12, 2009, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by SpaceMonkey View Post
Not exactly. I think it's supposed to speak to the personal dislike of Obama and his family in some quarters, and it's amusing that Doofy and loki have obliged besson's trolling.
It seems to me folks like Doofy and loki are reacting to a phenomena we've not really seen before. We've got folks wearing Obama t-shirts and hats and singing thanks and praise to Obama. They may refer to their party with Obama's name in it like "Obamacrat" and take pictures of themselves holding pictures of Obama, etc... illustrating that there are at least as many for which this thing has gone well beyond mere respect or admiration for our President. Don't take my word for it, peruse any number of your friends' "info" tabs or profiles on Facebook.

It gets to the point where you really can't critique the guy. I mean, do you suppose someone who is wearing an Obama baseball cap is really going to be willing to hear honest assessments of the President's performance? Of course not, they will assume you hate the President and will defend him by trying to illustrate that your concerns are absurd and unfounded.

The OP struck me as someone sporting their Obama baseball cap and t-shirt. Again.
ebuddy

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Nov 12, 2009, 09:34 AM

It seems to me folks like Doofy and loki are reacting to a phenomena we've not really seen before. We've got folks wearing Obama t-shirts and hats and singing thanks and praise to Obama. They may refer to their party with Obama's name in it like "Obamacrat" and take pictures of themselves holding pictures of Obama, etc... illustrating that there are at least as many for which this thing has gone well beyond mere respect or admiration for our President. Don't take my word for it, peruse any number of your friends' "info" tabs or profiles on Facebook.

It gets to the point where you really can't critique the guy. I mean, do you suppose someone who is wearing an Obama baseball cap is really going to be willing to hear honest assessments of the President's performance? Of course not, they will assume you hate the President and will defend him by trying to illustrate that your concerns are absurd and unfounded.

The OP struck me as someone sporting their Obama baseball cap and t-shirt. Again.
That isn't really a "phenomena we've not really seen before". Admittedly, people weren't wearing Bush tshirts and baseball hats, but with some people you certainly couldn't critique him. It may not have been as obvious to determine who wasn't willing to hear honest assessments of Bush's performance, but they were certainly there, just the same. He may not have been treated as the second coming of Christ by some of his followers, but there were some some who certainly seemed to believe that God was working through Bush. Do you think they were willing to hear honest assessments of Bush's performance?

No, President Worship isn't a new phenomena. But, it might be more obvious these days given more and more ways are emerging to express our loyalties. Consider that Facebook didn't even *exist* during the honeymoon phase of Bush's Presidency.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Nov 12, 2009, 10:51 AM

It seems to me folks like Doofy and loki are reacting to a phenomena we've not really seen before.
Yup. "Blairism".

Barry's campaign speeches were almost a carbon copy of Blair's. Blair's mantra during the campaign was "things can only get better". Sound familiar? The mannerisms are almost a carbon copy of Blair's. Same insidious feel about them both.

Blair is Blair mk1. Rudd is Blair mk2. Barry is Blair mk3. Cameron is Blair mk4.
Same Goa'uld, different host.

We had 11 years of the Blair tw@t and his witch. Been there, done that. You do not want people like this in charge of things.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 12, 2009, 10:56 AM

Oh my God they both have arms!!!!!

More links:

Laura Bush on Sesame Street

Muppets weird out the National Governors Association

Barbara Bush on Sesame Street

When Ralph Nader attacks

I don't see anything new about Michelle Obama's Sesame Street appearance.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Nov 12, 2009, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by SpaceMonkey View Post
Oh my God they both have arms!!!!!
And they're both lawyers. When did we go from telling jokes about lawyers to letting them lead us?

Q) What do you call 600 lawyers at the bottom of the sea?

A1) A good start.
A2) A government on a scuba trip.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 12, 2009, 11:13 AM

Yup. "Blairism".

Barry's campaign speeches were almost a carbon copy of Blair's. Blair's mantra during the campaign was "things can only get better". Sound familiar? The mannerisms are almost a carbon copy of Blair's. Same insidious feel about them both.

Blair is Blair mk1. Rudd is Blair mk2. Barry is Blair mk3. Cameron is Blair mk4.
Same Goa'uld, different host.

We had 11 years of the Blair tw@t and his witch. Been there, done that. You do not want people like this in charge of things.
Every political speech is the same. They all say the same things over and over.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 12, 2009, 03:14 PM

Those mannerisms are simply the more recent versions of old George and Bill's emphasizing things with a closed hand and a pointing thumb. Same stuff, different decade. Interesting how consultants can cause fads in political gesturing, isn't it?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

loki74
Mac Elite
Nov 12, 2009, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
That isn't really a "phenomena we've not really seen before". Admittedly, people weren't wearing Bush tshirts and baseball hats, but with some people you certainly couldn't critique him. It may not have been as obvious to determine who wasn't willing to hear honest assessments of Bush's performance, but they were certainly there, just the same. He may not have been treated as the second coming of Christ by some of his followers, but there were some some who certainly seemed to believe that God was working through Bush. Do you think they were willing to hear honest assessments of Bush's performance?

No, President Worship isn't a new phenomena. But, it might be more obvious these days given more and more ways are emerging to express our loyalties. Consider that Facebook didn't even *exist* during the honeymoon phase of Bush's Presidency.

Yes, there are people who are so set in their beliefs and opinions about people that they won't listen to even the most sound reason. This is not new, and certainly not limited to political leaders.

The thing we haven't seen before is the "cool factor" I was referring to. Yeah, there were folks who talked like there could be nothing wrong with Bush. But it was never fashionable to support him. Supporting Barack and his people is all the rage. It's fashionable. He's practically a celebrity. The effect is especially pronounced here at university. And that's what we haven't really seen before here in the States (at least not in my lifetime).

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Nov 12, 2009, 03:19 PM

In case anyone missed it, the joke here is Michelle Obama giving reasonable advice while people are foaming at the mouth about indoctrination.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 12, 2009, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
In case anyone missed it, the joke here is Michelle Obama giving reasonable advice while people are foaming at the mouth about indoctrination.
You understand!

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 12, 2009, 03:44 PM

Doofy: I think you need to separate political rhetoric from actual political style (the latter which we are not privy to). Political rhetoric amounts to calculated strategic tactics that can be put to writing, mimicked, studied, perfected, etc. All politicians use some amount of rhetoric when it suits them, and they count on the fact that most people are not able to cut through their rhetoric. Unfortunately, we seem to live in a world where there are no longer any "real" politicians that don't count on rhetoric to climb up the latter, save perhaps Ron Paul.

Many people seem to encourage carefully guarded speech and more rhetoric without perhaps realizing what they are doing. For instance, whenever Joe Biden says something spontaneously and puts his foot in his mouth his enemies jump all over that. Another example is that "real" moment of Obama calling Kanye West an ass when he thought that the conversation wasn't being recorded. He no doubt took some flack for that too. I'd personally prefer that sort of spontaneity and genuineness of thought (whether it is well crafted, agreeable or not) over mounds and mounds of more rhetoric and a more resilient political defense.

Once this is accepted and parsed, I would be surprised if the actual political styles of Obama and Blair are as identical as you think. Every president or prime minister I've ever read about has differed enough in their style and approach to make them difficult to lump them together with somebody else. The rhetoric is easily lumpable, but the rhetoric is simply a manipulative tool.

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 12, 2009, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by loki74 View Post
Supporting Barack and his people is all the rage. It's fashionable. He's practically a celebrity. The effect is especially pronounced here at university. And that's what we haven't really seen before here in the States (at least not in my lifetime).
Are you retarded? Reagan wasn't "practically" a celebrity, he was literally a celebrity. Same as Arnold. Then there was Clinton and JFK, and I'm sure a dozen others, who gleaned half their success through a cult of personality. This "phenomenon" is as old as politics itself.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 12, 2009, 03:49 PM

More hypocrisy: Mrs. Obama pushes the Veggie Agenda while President Obama is in the pocket of Little Pizza:

Pres. Obama Announces Small Business Credit Initiatives:
"And these steps will make a difference for more small businesses like Pete's APizza in Washington, D.C. I recommend it -- that everybody go out there."

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 12, 2009, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Skeleton View Post
Are you retarded? Reagan wasn't "practically" a celebrity, he was literally a celebrity. Same as Arnold. Then there was Clinton and JFK, and I'm sure a dozen others, who gleaned half their success through a cult of personality. This "phenomenon" is as old as politics itself.
Al Franken, Jessie the Body Ventura, and Sarah Palin also come to mind...

loki74
Mac Elite
Nov 12, 2009, 04:04 PM

I was contemplating mentioning Arnold and Reagan, and clarifying why I don't consider them in the same class as Barack. But then I decided that the whole thing would be too obvious. But I'll connect the dots for you, mmkay pumpkin? Yes, they actually were celebrities. But why were they celebrities? Because of their work in show business. They became celebrities before entering politics, not as a direct result of entering politics.

Did their success in showbiz help them out politically? Yeah, most likely. Did it make it fashionable and in vogue to support them, or at least, to the same degree that it is fashionable to support Barack? No. Same for any other charismatic politician I can think of.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Nov 12, 2009, 04:22 PM

Doofy: I think you need to separate political rhetoric from actual political style (the latter which we are not privy to).
Once this is accepted and parsed, I would be surprised if the actual political styles of Obama and Blair are as identical as you think.
No Bess. I know what I'm seeing.

Same puppetmaster for both, I reckon.

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 12, 2009, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by loki74 View Post
Did their success in showbiz help them out politically? Yeah, most likely. Did it make it fashionable and in vogue to support them, or at least, to the same degree that it is fashionable to support Barack? No. Same for any other charismatic politician I can think of.
You're saying that success in "showbiz" was responsible for success in politics, even for politicians that aren't from hollywood? Like JFK, Bill Clinton or Sarah Palin? You might want to think that one through a little further.

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 12, 2009, 04:26 PM

No Bess. I know what I'm seeing.

Same puppetmaster for both, I reckon.
Who is it? Jon Stewart?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 12, 2009, 04:27 PM

Satan.

Rumor
Nov 12, 2009, 04:31 PM

I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

loki74
Mac Elite
Nov 12, 2009, 04:53 PM

You're saying that success in "showbiz" was responsible for success in politics, even for politicians that aren't from hollywood? Like JFK, Bill Clinton or Sarah Palin? You might want to think that one through a little further.
Okay, I guess I really have to hold your hand on this one. No, obviously showbiz did not help people who were not in showbiz. That part of my reply was a concession that for those who did have fame in showbiz, it probably did help them out. My point is that Clinton and Palin do not have the celebrity status that Barack does (idk about JFK). I don't even think Clinton and Palin can be considered in the same class as him, since making fun of Clinton was (and is) pretty popular, and boy is ragging on Palin ever in style!

But perhaps I could have been clearer:

The quote "Same for any other charismatic politician I can think of" was referring to my observation that among charismatic politicians, Barack seems to have the most celebrity appeal.

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 12, 2009, 05:01 PM

I think Palin is just as big of a celebrity as Obama is, or at least it's darn close.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 12, 2009, 05:03 PM

We'll know for sure when her book is released, if it hits the top of the bestselling list.

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 12, 2009, 07:41 PM

What's ironic is that ebuddy was the single biggest Palin apologist around here, and he's the first one to claim that Obamania is unprecedented...

Forum Links
Forum Rules