Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > Mac OS X CVS client that actually works?

Mac OS X CVS client that actually works?
mpmchugh
Forum Regular
Jun 13, 2002, 07:28 PM

Any one know of a Mac OS X CVS client that actually works?

I was successfully using the Mac OS 9 MacCVS, but since switching to MacOS X full time, I've not found a reliable client to use. CVL and MacCVS (both carbon and Mach builds) can rarely successfully checkout a module without errors.

Any one have any suggestions for a different client?

Or know the tricks to get one of these mentioned to work reliably?

Thanks.

-mpm

wadesworld
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 14, 2002, 12:06 AM

Do you need to check in/out Macintosh dual-forked files?

If not, just use the command-line client. It works great.

I converted my resource files to rez format. Now the only dual-forked file I have is the CW Project, but I never keep that under source control anyhow (I just keep it backed up).

Wade

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 14, 2002, 04:45 PM

There's some GUI stuff built-in to Project Builder, and there's an OS X native GUI called CVL. Search VersionTracker, or something.

mpmchugh  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 14, 2002, 09:25 PM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by Angus_D:
<strong>There's some GUI stuff built-in to Project Builder, and there's an OS X native GUI called CVL. Search VersionTracker, or something.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Thanks. CVL, is pretty cool, but alas, it's buggy.

I ended up using a Java client called SmartCVS, and used the dev tools Java Applet Builder to compile it.

It seems to work fine. Not as elegant as MacCVS or CVL, but stable enough until they are updated. It would be cool if Apple developed a real gui front end to the built in command line client (or buy and finish CVL, which is exactly that!).

-mpm

Kristoff
Mac Elite
Jun 14, 2002, 10:31 PM

hmmm...
I just type:

cvs -dserver:[email protected]:/cvsroot/jboss login

cvs -z3 -dserver:[email protected]:/cvsroot/jboss co modulename

and it works for me....
signatures are a waste of bandwidth
especially ones with political tripe in them.

mpmchugh  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 14, 2002, 11:11 PM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by Kristoff:
<strong>hmmm...
I just type:

and it works for me....</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">I'm confused. What works? Are you just implying that I should use the terminal commands?

I could do that, but do not want to. I'm a GUI kinda guy. :-)

-mpm

smeger
Mac Elite
Jun 15, 2002, 01:06 AM

If you use the terminal commands to checkout a module for the first time (as shown above), you can use the CVS menu in Project Builder from then on. Although I've run into some nastiness that needs cvswrappers to fix...
Geekspiff - generating spiffdiddlee software since before you began paying attention.

Kristoff
Mac Elite
Jun 15, 2002, 01:30 AM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by mpmchugh:
<strong> </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by Kristoff:
<strong>hmmm...
I just type:

and it works for me....</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">I'm confused. What works? Are you just implying that I should use the terminal commands?

I could do that, but do not want to. I'm a GUI kinda guy. :-)

-mpm</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">OH...MY mistake.
I thought you were looking for a CVS client.
You are actually looking for a CVS GUI.
Try jcvs.
signatures are a waste of bandwidth
especially ones with political tripe in them.

tinrib
Mac Elite
Jun 15, 2002, 01:31 AM

I use CVL without problems.

mpmchugh  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 15, 2002, 03:51 AM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by tinrib:
<strong>I use CVL without problems.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Are you using it with the re-installed cvs that comes with Mac OS X, or did you obtain a newer version?

It generally works well, but fails more often than not whne checking out a module.

-mpm

tinrib
Mac Elite
Jun 15, 2002, 04:09 AM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by mpmchugh:
<strong> </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by tinrib:
<strong>I use CVL without problems.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Are you using it with the re-installed cvs that comes with Mac OS X, or did you obtain a newer version?

It generally works well, but fails more often than not whne checking out a module.

-mpm</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">preinstalled CVS. And I haven't had it fail when checking out modules. Not that I am saying everyone will have the same experience, but I haven't had problems, and so its worth a try.

Actually having said that I did have a problem checking out something as 'anonymous', whereas on most sites I use CVS I am a named user. It couldn't log-in. Also I don't like the fact that when you import a module you *have* to have a vendor-tag. However, bearing in mind that you can always drop into the CLI when necessary, I think it is a very nice app. I like the integration with file merge.app as well - file merge is so cute!

Forum Links
Forum Rules