Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > +Broadband Question: Is anybody using...

+Broadband Question: Is anybody using...
Akarso
Mar 18, 2002, 03:48 AM

Directway Satellite or any other satellite system for their broadband internet connection? I happen to live in the armpit of the broadband universe and i'm not accessible to DSL or Digital Cable for at least another year or two (that's what they say at least and they've been telling me that for 4 years now). But recently i just received an offer from earthlink for their satellite system, but i don't know much about it. It's a 2 way connection, and i'm not sure on the speed. So my question is, does anybody have a satellite connection and are you happy with it? What about weather problems? Is there any other problems i should worry about? Thanks in advance.
(oi)

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 18, 2002, 04:03 AM

it's expensive and has the highest latency of any broadband connection. That's all I know.

Last I knew thee were no satellite connections that work with Mac, if that's what you have.
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

nana2
Senior User
Mar 18, 2002, 04:04 AM

Pings always suck on a satellite connection, so online gaming is a crapshoot.

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 18, 2002, 07:53 AM

Can you get IDSL? Because extraterrestrial Internet access suffers from extreme latency, IDSL would be a better choice.

Xaositect
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 18, 2002, 11:02 AM

I don't use one myself, but did set one up for a friend. Latency is bad enough to kill gaming, but everything else is ok. Make sure you get one with the built in router - that way it's platform neutral (set your ethernet to DHCP and you are in). You may need to adjust the timeout on your browser. I upped his from 30 seconds to 1 minute, just to be safe.

The connection was weird to get used to - nothing seemed to be happening for a while, long enough that you think something's wrong, then boom, it's there.

deedar
Mac Elite
Mar 18, 2002, 05:10 PM

Who was the satellite provider?

Forum Links
Forum Rules