Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Hard drive not spinning up.

Hard drive not spinning up.
pumpkinapo
Jan 22, 2002, 10:04 AM

I'm hoping someone out there can assist me with my problem. Sometimes when I am rebooting into X from 9 my harddrive spins down and doesn't spin back up. I then get a beep from my computer (probably telling me it can't find the HD). This only occurs when rebooting from 9 into X not X into 9.

I have a 450MHz G4 Cube, 768MB and a Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 60GB HD.

Thanks.
Peter Leing
17" 1.67GHz PowerBook
450MHz G4 Cube

dspaude
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 22, 2002, 11:16 AM

Originally posted by pumpkinapo:
I have a 450MHz G4 Cube, 768MB and a Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 60GB HD.

Thanks.[/QB]
I have a similar problem when booting up into X. My second HD (Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 30GB) won't spin up for about 1 minute so the whole system waits (spinning beach ball in the upper left corner) until the drive spins up. Booting up into 9 does not have the same problem. I am guessing now that the modem freeze problem and the hard drive spin-up and freeze problem are related--maybe an Open Firmware bug on the X side?

Forum Links
Forum Rules