Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Help Needed: Info on why to switch back to Mac for Marketing Department

Help Needed: Info on why to switch back to Mac for Marketing Department
laxthxdude
Forum Regular
Oct 29, 2001, 08:09 PM

Heres the story:
Small marketing department (8 people). When I came aboard, there were the following: 7 people on PC (Windoze 98 & 95) and 2 Macs (PowerMac - Dont remember the model off the top of my head, but they are 80Mhz machine with something like 96MB Ram and 1 GB Hard drives). There was a single person using one of them for graphics (Quark 3, Illustrator 8, Photoshop 4).Quark was the main app in use. The machine had a scanner (SCSI) connected to it also. This machine was used for 8 years straight, with NO maitanance or down time, except for a scheduled day when they install a scanner on to it. Enter a new marketing director with a know-it-all (and very large anti-mac) husband. Well the time comes to update the PCs (200's and 166's Pentiums) to new machines. So I try my best to get them to realize that its going to be a "I told you so" with trying to convert to PCs from the Macs. So we gave the graphics person a new Windows 98 machine with all the new software on it (something like a PIII/733). Well it crashed constantly when they were doing anything close to loading the machine down. I agreed with the end user (who wanted a new Mac in the first place but the marketing director wouldn't even meet to discuss it per her husband) the switch to 2000. So we switch the computer over to 2000. Well this opened a new can of worms. Security issues with software (EZ Cd creator, photoshop, etc) along with driver problems and a whole lot of other issues. The most current issue is that items to the printer take 20+ minutes to spool and some EPS graphics wont print at all. We have tried all drivers available and Quark is clueless (They admitted over the phone that they didn't know why it printed just fine on the Mac but OK on the PC - they only said that they get very few questions concerning the Mac version of Quark). Add in all the frustrations I have had to deal with (lock ups in Photoshop, coasters for CDs, out of memory errors) and I have had it. Well we recently got a new marketing director (the old one left thankfully) and I have a meeting scheduled to discuss a new color printer (concerning the 20+ minute print spools. Which by the way is the OS, not the printer. It sits in the spooler forever trying to process the job) and the topic is also going to concern the destination of the Mac remaining (which is still used daily). They want it removed - I want them to invest in a new Mac (namely OS X / G4 or G5/ Flat panel)for the graphics position.

What I need help on it information concerning the following:
Productivity of using a PC vs. Mac for graphics
TCO for PC vs. Mac
ROI for Macs vs PCs.
Increased productivity on Macs vs. PC
Anything else that pertains to the topic. Please email your suggestions directly to me at [email protected] I have 2 days to put this together...
Thanks!

Nonsuch
Professional Poster
Oct 30, 2001, 01:05 AM

This website was put together by a teacher as a resource for other teachers to use in keeping their schools Mac-centric. It addresses a lot of the concerns you're looking for info on, like TCO and useability. I would also mention, in no particular order:

1) The restrictive licensing practices recently instituted by Microsoft, which will cost most small outfits like yours more money;
2) The upcoming G5, which should prove competitive with the Pentium line and then some;
3) The fact that Quark is close to f#@&ing unuseable on a PC;
4) The stability of OS X;
5) The ease of use of Applescript, which can be of great help to small shops like yours in automating workflow.

Those are what occur to me off the top of my head. Maybe others can chip in with more.
Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them.

-- Frederick Douglass, 1857

ThE OutsiDer
Oct 30, 2001, 01:41 AM

tlu

t jryR>su.iywBR>se.164.35.121

Oct 30, 2001, 01:49 AM

I think you can win the argument if you explain to him something he can't live without for his business.

Explain to him about OSX and its REAL PDF support staright from the OS, no acrobat needed.
Explain to him how you can use PDF to back upo exsisting accounts and annual reports so if you need them they'll be neatly filed away and no font troubles when opening them.

Explain to him how they come with dvd burners to back up staright from the OS, no software needed,

Youi have to take these angles to win, tell him ram and HD's can be bought from pc shops and installed into macs.

Macs can read pc files, pc cant read macs.
Macs are made for graphics, Adobe products are made on macs and have altivec support.
Macs are easy to use thus bringing down the stress level in the workplace, everyone will be happy and wont have the attitude of "ill work here for a lil longer then leave".
Tell him if he gets what u all want , the Karma will be so happy in the workplace and everyone will be more creative...You might laugh but you dont know how true that is.

tell him about Virtual PC.
Tell him no worry about these email viruses going around, macs are immuned from it.
Macs support dual cpu's.
A G3 500 imac is eqivilent to an 800 mhz pen 3.

If he still refuses, just leave and take everyone with you.. (last resort!)

str1
Oct 30, 2001, 02:06 AM

*cough* *cough* networking *cough*

Cheers
Scott

iCartman
Senior User
Oct 30, 2001, 02:14 AM

Tell him no worry about these email viruses going around, macs are immuned from it.
respect mah athoritah!

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
Oct 30, 2001, 04:29 AM

Hmmm. This doesn't belong here. If I move it to News and Advocacy, nobody will ever see it, so I'm going to put it in the Lounge

Forum Links
Forum Rules