Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Powerbook Apple Hardware Test

Powerbook Apple Hardware Test
HouseSold
Senior User
Sep 8, 2002, 02:56 AM

Does anyone know the sure fire way to test the modem and ethernet ports on a Powerbook, specifically 800 DVI model?

I have been using Airport exclusively until recently when I was given my own T1 connection at my work desk. Both the modem connection (analog line) and the ethernet port don't function and the IT person says mine (Powerbook) are dead since everyone else's work. I ran the included CD Hardware Test but it only says device found (not passed like the other functions say). The modem occasionally connects at 37333 baud but is unreliable. Other equipment works at my desk (other Macs too) so I know configuration is correct. I did a clean install back to OSX.4 that came with the Powerbook, but no changes. I was going to ethernet between another Mac to test the ethernet but figure someone knows a better way. Any help is greatly appreciated. BTW it worked for a few days before stopping, so the network settings were alright.

Thanks

fulmer
Professional Poster
Sep 8, 2002, 10:05 AM

the unreliable modem connection is an issue with powerbooks. if you look in your modem settings, change the connection to Apple Internal 56k Modem (v.34), rather than the current setting. this should resolve, for the post part, the modem connection instability.

G-mac
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 8, 2002, 11:06 AM

I have a Ti550 with ethernet problems. It's been there since I purchased it in Nov. 2001. The connection dies frequently, so I sent the Ti in for warranty repairs. Apple sends back the Ti with 5 other fixes, but no change to the ethernet port. Could be a software problem or hardware. Maybe bring your Ti800 to an Apple Service Provider or Store? Good luck.

Forum Links
Forum Rules