Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > DVD data burning

DVD data burning
Thread Tools
soogarrush
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Mar 2003
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 5, 2003, 09:59 PM
 
i need to burn data with my 12" superdrive that will read on my PC. im using toast and tried the hybrid format and 9660. neither is working, they are fine on the mac but my PC just keeps spinning the dvd and "not responds". ive tried it on both my window xp systems and no luck. btw im using ritek dvd-r's. SOMETIMES if im lucky, i can access the data with the PC...any help?
     
Sarah31
Forum Regular
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Manitoba
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 5, 2003, 10:57 PM
 
you could look into cdrtools (cdrecord, cdrdao, and mkisofs) or dvdrtools (cdrtools with some dvd enhancements). i warn you though that these are applications that require you to work in your terminal. version tracker or freshmeat.net might give you some ideas to applications that can do what you want.
     
soogarrush  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Mar 2003
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 6, 2003, 07:08 PM
 
thanks i will try those programs.

its weird, data cdr's work fine...would it be my dvd-r media? if so, then why does it only work on the mac i burned it on..
     
tr
Mac Elite
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 6, 2003, 09:23 PM
 
Originally posted by soogarrush:
i need to burn data with my 12" superdrive that will read on my PC. im using toast and tried the hybrid format and 9660. neither is working, they are fine on the mac but my PC just keeps spinning the dvd and "not responds". ive tried it on both my window xp systems and no luck. btw im using ritek dvd-r's. SOMETIMES if im lucky, i can access the data with the PC...any help?
when i first read this, i was like "you have a superdrive that uses 12" discs? oh, wait, nevermind..." "

i'd say it's a media problem. i've burned some data (using Toast, Mac OS extended and PC [hybrid]) on cheap media (kHypermedia) that worked fine on my A03, but sometimes worked on my work's XP machine with an A04, and sometimes worked on my sister's iBook 700 combo drive. the same data burned to a genuine pioneer DVD-R works fine in all machines.

tr
     
juanvaldes
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Seattle, WA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 6, 2003, 09:27 PM
 
Originally posted by tr:
the same data burned to a genuine pioneer DVD-R works fine in all machines.
to ask a stupid question but...would that be the apple branded DVD's?
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive.
- Thomas Jefferson, 1787
     
soogarrush  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Mar 2003
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 7, 2003, 02:00 AM
 
Originally posted by tr:
when i first read this, i was like "you have a superdrive that uses 12" discs? oh, wait, nevermind..." "

i'd say it's a media problem. i've burned some data (using Toast, Mac OS extended and PC [hybrid]) on cheap media (kHypermedia) that worked fine on my A03, but sometimes worked on my work's XP machine with an A04, and sometimes worked on my sister's iBook 700 combo drive. the same data burned to a genuine pioneer DVD-R works fine in all machines.

tr
i just tried the apple dvdr that came with my PB...and it works. you were right, its a problem with my media.
     
tr
Mac Elite
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 7, 2003, 02:20 AM
 
Originally posted by juanvaldes:
to ask a stupid question but...would that be the apple branded DVD's?
no, the one i was using was actually a pioneer branded disc, don't remember the number (i think it may have come free with my drive). don't know who actually makes the apple discs, so maybe they are the same. the discs that i have never had any trouble with are the pioneers, panasonics, and apples; those are the only one's i've ever really tried (besides the kHypermedias).

soogarrush, glad to hear that it's just cheap media that was causing your problems.

tr
     
   
Thread Tools
 
Forum Links
Forum Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Top
Privacy Policy
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:29 AM.
All contents of these forums © 1995-2017 MacNN. All rights reserved.
Branding + Design: www.gesamtbild.com
vBulletin v.3.8.8 © 2000-2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.,