Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 17" Powerbooks with White Spots in Screen

17" Powerbooks with White Spots in Screen
HouseSold
Senior User
Oct 17, 2003, 02:26 PM

Are any 17" Powerbooks (January 2003 or September 2003 versions) having any screen issues what so ever including the leopard spotted screens?

If you are, please share details with us.

Is this a 15" Powerbook issue only?

Tomster
Senior User
Oct 17, 2003, 02:36 PM

From personal experiences, none on rev A and none on rev B. I think this might be a 15" problem because if there was an issue with the 17" screens, someone would have posted about it by now.

wanderlust
Forum Regular
Oct 18, 2003, 05:44 AM

I haven't yet heard of any. The screen on my 17" couldn't be more perfect...not that that's good news for the 15" Albook owners.

acadian
Senior User
Oct 18, 2003, 11:27 AM

None here.
people ruin everything....

C-Bear
Forum Regular
Oct 18, 2003, 12:56 PM

While the white spot issue has previously occured on LCDs in general, for Apple this appears to be a virtually Alu 15" only problem (for now, anyway).
When the wine is bitter, become the
wine

jazz1
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 18, 2003, 08:33 PM

Originally posted by HouseSold:
Are any 17" Powerbooks (January 2003 or September 2003 versions) having any screen issues what so ever including the leopard spotted screens?

If you are, please share details with us.

Is this a 15" Powerbook issue only?
I'm not seeing it on a two week old 17" incher

mandm1
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 18, 2003, 11:26 PM

My one week old 17" 1.33 does not have this problem, either. Perfect screen, too -- thank God!!

BTW, jazz1, nice to see another Iowa user on these forums. I bought my PB at CompUSA in Des Moines. Not the cheapest, but the 14 day return policy gives a guy a chance to make sure there are no problems with the unit.

HouseSold  (op)
Senior User
Oct 21, 2003, 01:48 PM

Turned on our 17" last night and panic set in. What turned out to be light powdered sugar from our two year old having pointing at and touching the screen, was NOT a permanent white spot.

I feel for those with 15" screens watching to see if spots might develop. Almost like catching the flu.

coolmacdude
Senior User
Oct 21, 2003, 01:53 PM

Originally posted by HouseSold:
Turned on our 17" last night and panic set in. What turned out to be light powdered sugar from our two year old having pointing at and touching the screen, was NOT a permanent white spot.

I feel for those with 15" screens watching to see if spots might develop. Almost like catching the flu.
LMAO!
2.16 Ghz Core 2 Macbook, 3GB Ram, 120 GB

xylon
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 21, 2003, 05:50 PM

My first generation 17" does in fact have mild white spots. Nothing to the degree that we are seeing on the 15", but they are most definitely there. What's starting to freak me out is that the seem to be getting brighter? Can't be sure. Sigh...

^Thanks to sealobo
Viva le ScrollWheel!

Daniel Bayer
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 23, 2003, 12:59 AM

Oh...Sh!Ts-ster!

I have a small and dim one now on my rev b that is about 1/4 inch across and is about a inch and a half away from the center of the screen at the 7 o'clock postion.

It is not ass bad as the 15 ones but I do notice it mostly when I scroll through text.

I'll keep you posted on any new developments.
"I'll take a extra layer of ram on that
gigaflop sandwich mister"

rcarlosnyc
Forum Regular
Nov 3, 2003, 03:28 PM

Originally posted by xylon:
My first generation 17" does in fact have mild white spots. Nothing to the degree that we are seeing on the 15", but they are most definitely there. What's starting to freak me out is that the seem to be getting brighter? Can't be sure. Sigh...
My 17" PowerBook has spots. And yes, THEY GET WORSE. I guess it's time to send it for repair.

Forum Links
Forum Rules