Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Cube HD Problem?

Cube HD Problem?
jrramsey
Forum Regular
Jan 13, 2004, 02:38 PM

I've got a 450 cube with 832Meg RAM and GeForce 3 64Meg DDR. Hard Drive is Seagate Baracuda 80 gigs

In the last few weeks i've been having a lot of problems booting up. Sometimes when it works, my screen will become pixelated and then I have to shut off hard. More recently, it won't even boot...even when cold.

However, it boots perfectly with CD's and is stable. I've tried running disk check but returns "everything OK". When I ran Apple toolkit, it said I had all sorts of 'catalog', "extents", etc... errors but could not repair. I did a clean erase of the disk and installed a fresh copy of Panther. Worked great for several days but is now showing similar symptoms.

This HD runs very quiet and no unusual noise. Heat does not seem to be a problem. What is the best way to diagnose the real problem...software...tools...?

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Jan 16, 2004, 07:18 AM

Disk Warrior - There are some errors I have found that only this software can fix...

However I had an identical problem with my old Cube and a Seagate Barracuda.

In the end after much troubleshooting and talking to Seagate, they indicated that it 'could' be a problem in the way that the disk was mounted in the cube, eg. on its end...

They clained that the fluid bearing *may* not funtion properly if it was not totally level/horizontal...

I changed the drive into another Powermac and it worked fine, and I put a Maxtor in the cube and all was well...

Peace,

Marc

Forum Links
Forum Rules