Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > OSX Server 10.2 on a B/W G3

OSX Server 10.2 on a B/W G3
peter_cph
Apr 3, 2004, 07:16 PM

Hi Folks

I planned to install OSX Server 10.2 on a G3/400 with 512 MB RAM.

It's equipped with a 9 GB SCSI-disk (the original disk) and with an 80 GB Seagate Barracuda IDE disk and via a Sonnet ATA-controller board with two 160 GB Maxtor IDE disks.

The 2 Maxtor disks are meant for storage for 2 users and each user should be abe to access his own storage are and that's it.

Additionally, each user should be able to access the 80 GB Seagate disk meant for filesharing and for our iTunes music library that we share.

It ought to be quite simple.

Funny thing no. 1 : It tells me the Maxtor disks are 128 GB - maybe the G3 will simply not accept larger disks? Or could it be something with the Sonnet ATA controller board?

Funny thing no. 2: OSX Server 10.2 installs perfectly on the SCSI disk, but then stiff starts to happen, that could be related to my lack of knowledge of this ... or it could be just weird.

When I go to Workgroup Manager, I am tole that I ma working in a node that is invisible from the network, som nything I do will not be usable on the network. Cute. I can click om a pull-down named "At" and change .local to "other" or Search. I haven't got a clue what this means - what should I select?

OK. I accept the suggested setting and adds a user. I click on + and a"Untitled-1" appear in the right side window. I Change Untitled-1 to Peter, and it accepts that. Bur the short name remains Untitled-1. This can not be changed. I wonder why.

After having created 2 users (apart from the Admin), I want to make a group. I click on te group icon and then on the + to create a new group. The 3rd time I installed OSX Server 10.2 I had luck. I could create a group. But when I wanted to add users, I could choose between Admin, Staff, Guest and all those ... plus Untitled-1 and Untitled-2.
Aweseome.

And when I finally tried to add Untitled-1 and Untitled-2 I couldn't.

What am I missing here?

Thanks.

Peter

Rainy Day
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 4, 2004, 01:57 PM

Shouldn't this be posted in the Servers area?

peter_cph  (op)
Apr 4, 2004, 04:24 PM

Originally posted by Rainy Day:
Shouldn't this be posted in the Servers area?

Probably ... good point. Thanks for the suggestion.

Forum Links
Forum Rules