Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > So, it Almost Works... I Think

So, it Almost Works... I Think
AmericanPsych0
Nov 11, 2004, 03:02 PM

Okay, so here's the deal. I have a new PowerBook G4 and a new AirPort Extreme Base Station. My AirPort Extreme Card picks up my neighbor's wireless network (and they have an AirPort Extreme, too), and, when hooking into my Base Station directly via the LAN, I can connect to the Internet through the PPPoE. But I can't setup the Base Station. Neither the Admin Utility nor the Setup Assistant picks up the Station, whether connected to it via the LAN or the WAN, even though I'm five feet away. So... What can I do?

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Oh, and MacStumbler has detected it, under the name Wireless, on channel 10, and with a signal strength of 72.
When Vin Diesel pops a can of Pringles, the fun stops after about fifteen minutes.

aaanorton
Mac Elite
Nov 11, 2004, 08:43 PM

The only thing you should ever plug into the WAN port is the ethernet cable coming from your cable/DSL modem.
Try plugging your computer into the LAN port and configure that way. You can turn off your Airport card in your Powerbook while plugged in to the LAN port.

AmericanPsych0  (op)
Nov 11, 2004, 10:55 PM

I know. I've had the DSL plugged into the WAN port from the beginning. I tried configuring it wirelessly and while connected directly to the LAN port via an ethernet cable, and both bring the same results, etc.
When Vin Diesel pops a can of Pringles, the fun stops after about fifteen minutes.

aaanorton
Mac Elite
Nov 11, 2004, 11:08 PM

In System Prefs > Network > Airport (Airport tab) you should have Using DHCP selected. You also need to make sure PPPoE is turned OFF on your Powerbook.

AmericanPsych0  (op)
Nov 14, 2004, 05:26 PM

Using DHCP is already selected.

And how do you mean turn off PPPoE?

I think it's worth noting that I connected my laptop to the Base Station via the LAN port (uising an ethernet cable) and did a hard reset. Now, I tried the AirPort Setup Assistant, and it still didn't pick up anything, but when I opened the AirPort Admin Utility it not only saw the Base Station, but I've been able to chaneg the configuration and upload is to the Base Station.

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 14, 2004, 06:57 PM

PLUG INTO THE DEVICE WITH A CABLE TO CONFIGURE IT. Trying it wirelessly is a crapshoot at best. This is the single most important piece of information ever left OUT of anything Apple has done in the wireless realm.

Here's what you do to turn off PPPoE:
1. Choose System Preferences from the Apple menu.
2. Click Network.
3. Click the PPPoE tab.
4. Click the checkbox to unselect the "Connect using PPPoE" option

Ok, so I'm a little cranky today. I got a cold...

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

aaanorton
Mac Elite
Nov 14, 2004, 08:09 PM

Originally posted by GHPorter:
4. Click the checkbox to unselect the "Connect using PPPoE" option
If he has Using DHCP selected, PPPoE must not be enabled, as DHCP is unavailable when PPPoE is enabled.

OK, so where are we now? You can connect to the base station? If you're connected to the base and getting an IP from it, well, then you're connected. If you still can't load web pages, your PPPoE settings in the base station are probably wrong. You are on ADSL? Describe your whole setup and problem again in detail. I'm honestly a little confused about what exactly is the problem.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 16, 2004, 02:09 PM

Perhaps the reason your Powerbook isn't letting you configure your basestation wirelessly is because its still connecting to your neighbor's basestation. Make sure the proper wireless network (i.e., yours) is selected, either from the menubar's Airport widget or via the Internet Connect application.

Forum Links
Forum Rules