Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Recommended Wireless Cards

Recommended Wireless Cards
AmericanPsych0
Dec 22, 2004, 08:36 PM

We (my family and I) have an AirPort Extreme set up and it works like a charm... with my Mac. For our desktops we originally purchased 802.11g wireless PCI cards from Belkin, which didn't work so we sent them back. We then purchased some from Linksys, which we troubleshooted with for a longer time, yet still haven't been able to work, or, in one case--only one--was never found again after a restart. Am I just missing some magical "get everything to work seamlessly" step or are the computers just failures--note that there are three of them.
( Last edited by AmericanPsych0; Dec 22, 2004 at 08:43 PM. )
When Vin Diesel pops a can of Pringles, the fun stops after about fifteen minutes.

bgotori
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 22, 2004, 09:27 PM

Hey AmericanPsych0

I'm using a Belkin F5D7010(its a ""G"" card)PCMCIA card in my Pismo. Hooks up with everything I connect too. StarBucks, University Wi-Fi some with AirPort Express, and a Friends AirPort Express. But the Uni informed me there changing there standard with the AirPorts and going WPA and something, something... So I not so sure if Belkin has an update for this...

Have Great Holiday's!!!

Brad
Pismo 400 OS X 10.3.9, SuperDrive, 1gb Mem, 80gb HD.
New GREEN 6gb Mini!!! 1gb Shuffle, and 30gb iPod.

AmericanPsych0  (op)
Dec 23, 2004, 01:55 AM

Speaking of PCMCIA cards, we do have a Linksys one for our PC laptop, and that works fine enough. I'm hesitant to say that the issue is hardware incompatability since the issue is with three very different computers, but I guess it's possible. Should I look into this, or would it be a waste of time?

EDIT: I apologize, our first cards weren't by Belkin, but by Netgear.
( Last edited by AmericanPsych0; Dec 23, 2004 at 02:34 AM. )
When Vin Diesel pops a can of Pringles, the fun stops after about fifteen minutes.

suprz's ghost
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 23, 2004, 02:46 PM

Originally posted by AmericanPsych0:
We (my family and I) have an AirPort Extreme set up and it works like a charm... with my Mac. For our desktops we originally purchased 802.11g wireless PCI cards from Belkin, which didn't work so we sent them back. We then purchased some from Linksys, which we troubleshooted with for a longer time, yet still haven't been able to work, or, in one case--only one--was never found again after a restart. Am I just missing some magical "get everything to work seamlessly" step or are the computers just failures--note that there are three of them.
I just called tech support at belking cause i wanted to know compatability with an older B&W G3 using their 54g pci card and i was told that it will work using OSX 10.2.6 or above ONLY nothing lower. Also i was told that it "might" work on some macs, and maybe not on others. So it would say to me that it is a hit or miss and keep your receipt handy and dont rip the box too much
"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds"...Albert Einstein

John Strung
Senior User
Dec 23, 2004, 03:04 PM

See my recommendation in THIS THREAD

Forum Links
Forum Rules