Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > iChat AV: Down for the count with Netgear WPN824

iChat AV: Down for the count with Netgear WPN824
BoulderDash
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 1, 2005, 12:03 AM

Hey there,
My friend just bought a Netgear RangeMax Wireless Router (WPN824) for use with his iMac G5 and we cannot get iChat AV to work with anything but Text. Prior to that he was using a Belkin router, which a roommate took, and Audio and Video chat worked fine. Darn it... what's the deal?!

I've tried the two steps found in this Apple Support Discussion:

1) In OS X: "block UDP traffic in the advanced parameters of the firewall in system preferences"
2) In router: "turn off UPnP click apply, and then turn on UPnP again and apply"

But they haven't worked; either seperately or together. He's using the latest WPN824 Firmware and Tiger 10.4.3 with iChat 3.1 (v417).

Can anyone give us a hand? Again, it all worked fine with Belkin... which we may just go with after returning the Netgear if it comes to that. Thanks in advance!
BD

BoulderDash  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 3, 2005, 12:26 AM

Well,
Foregoing everything I tried from the Apple Support Discussion (linked above), this worked for us:

Port Forwarding for the Netgear WPN824

Though with LinkSys and Belkin one doesn't need to go through the hassle. Also note that in the web page tutorial above, the examples (iChat1, iChat2, etc.) should have a Server IP Address of "192.168.1.yournumber" displayed. *Not* the displayed "192.168.0.yournumber". Note that the "0" should actually be a "1" (and it is when you go through this on your WPN824).

That's about it. In the end, it worked. I wonder though what will happen when I add another iChat AV-capable machine to the network... will I be able to forward those ports to two IP's? Hmm.

See ya,
BD

Forum Links
Forum Rules