Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > eMac internal CD writer burn problems

eMac internal CD writer burn problems
myrddin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 19, 2006, 04:29 PM

Hope this is the right forum to post this problem in?

I have an eMac now just over 1 yr old. Since new, I've had intermittent problems burning CDs, mainly though not exclusively in Toast.

The problems vary from failing at the start of the burn process i.e., when it's writing the leadin or during the burn process itself. It comes up with a variety of errors - sorry, but I haven't noted them word for word - but things like 'write error at [whatever], 'media faulty' etc. Sometimes, it seems to have burned ok but when I try t mount the CD, it bombs out or, as happened this evening, refused to play a track in iTunes from a test CD I burned in the latest version of iTunes: you could hear the drive clicking at the start of the track. This was after iTunes bombed out from burning a CD after the second track of a playlist.

Also, sometimes, I have problems copying data/files from a previously burned CD.

Pervesely, I usually have no problems reading DVDs.

My eMac is the 1.25 ghz model with 768MB ram and running OSX 10.4.3. From system profiler, the CD writer details are as follows:

HL-DT-ST RW/DVD GCC-4481B:

Firmware Revision: 2.05
Interconnect: ATAPI
Burn Support: Yes (Apple Shipped/Supported)
Cache: 2048 KB
Reads DVD: Yes
CD-Write: -R, -RW
Burn Underrun Protection CD: Yes
Write Strategies: CD-TAO, CD-SAO, CD-Raw
Media: No

I thought the problems may be down to using cheap-ish blank CD-Rs but I'm not sure.

FYI, I am shortly going to buy an external DVD writer, not just because of this issue but for convenience.

Would a CD cleaner help in any way? Any other help/advice with this problem appreciated.

Thanks,
David
eMac 1.25 ghz, 768 mb ram, OSX 10.4.3

zapatasghost
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 25, 2006, 04:48 PM

Have you checked the speed compatibility? If you were getting the same error that I was - 0x73, 0x 03 - then it might have to do with the speed rating of DVD-R's and or CD-r's. Try setting to burn at a lower speed and see if that works.

Forum Links
Forum Rules