Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Super annoying ad!

Super annoying ad!
loki74
Mac Elite
Sep 3, 2006, 03:43 PM

Okay, this is getting pretty ridiculous.

So the other day, I'm sending my bro a message on his myspace. AS I'M TYPING, this window pops up:

Welcome to ConsumerPromotionCenter.com

Annoyed, but not surprised, I close it, and keep typing. What happens next? You guessed it, the damn window pops up again.

It happens like two or three times, so I'm pretty pissed, but whatever. Then the next morning, I'm typing a response here on the NN, same thing happened. I just got done typing another response, in which FIVE windows with exactly the same thing popped up. HOW ANNOYING.

It's like, NO, I DON'T want your STUPID EFFING TV!!! Becuase I KNOW its a f*cking scam, how stupid do you think I AM??!! The worst thing is that in all 3 cases, I did NOT CLICK on ANYTHING.

I do have multiple windows open, so I thought perhaps it's from one of the other pages I have open, but none of them had anything that would suggest they are the cause of this (ie, banner ads advertising the same thing).

Has anyone else experienced this problem at all? I mean, I'm no HTML/java/php/whatever genius, but... how the hell do they even do that sort of thing?? Firefox's popup blocker doesnt do anything about it, so I don't know what to do. Granted, I'm not using the latest version... hmm.

Thoughts?

"In a world without walls or fences, what need have we for windows or gates?"

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Sep 3, 2006, 03:48 PM

contact myspace and tell them to take it down. If that doesn't work sue them
Signature depreciated.

loki74  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 3, 2006, 03:54 PM

but thats just the thing, I'm not sure its myspace, cause it happened with me typing here at the NN. Granted, I did have myspace pages open, but none of them had any ads remotely similar to the popup. And it ONLY happens when I'm typing, which I think is really weird...

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Sep 3, 2006, 04:24 PM

Block Popups.

So what is your most annoying TV ad?

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Sep 3, 2006, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by loki74
but thats just the thing, I'm not sure its myspace, cause it happened with me typing here at the NN. Granted, I did have myspace pages open, but none of them had any ads remotely similar to the popup. And it ONLY happens when I'm typing, which I think is really weird...
Contact the people that put up the ad and threaten legal action. Threatening to sue will shut people up some times.
Signature depreciated.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 3, 2006, 04:43 PM

LOL. He said MySpace. LOL

-t

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Sep 3, 2006, 04:45 PM

Are you using Windows? If so, go download Spybot and Ad-Aware and run them both. Windows has the nifty ability to get infected with programs that will launch ad windows.

loki74  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 3, 2006, 05:34 PM

Nah not using Windows. I spend 90% of my time closing out usesless things when I use Windows, so I prolly wouldn't notice the difference anyhow.

Anyhoo, if it continues, I'm definately considering contacting them. I do have popups blocked, using Firefox, but a few get thru anyway... like this one. I was also curious to see if anyone else had experienced anything like this.

And yes. I do have a myspace. I know, I know, I know... *sigh*

As far as most annoying TV ad? DEFINATELY that "HeadOn" stuff. "Head on, Apply directly to the forehead" x3, very VERY annoying. That and those amp'd mobile commericals. yuck.

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Sep 3, 2006, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by loki74
Nah not using Windows. I spend 90% of my time closing out useless things when I use Windows, so I prolly wouldn't notice the difference anyhow.

Anyhoo, if it continues, I'm definately considering contacting them. I do have popups blocked, using Firefox, but a few get thru anyway... like this one. I was also curious to see if anyone else had experienced anything like this.

And yes. I do have a myspace. I know, I know, I know... *sigh*

As far as most annoying TV ad? DEFINATELY that "HeadOn" stuff. "Head on, Apply directly to the forehead" x3, very VERY annoying. That and those amp'd mobile commericals. yuck.
Hate thoghs HeadOn/ActavOn commericals. Also those FREEdHEM commericals about hemorrhoids
Signature depreciated.

baw
Mac Elite
Sep 3, 2006, 08:30 PM

...myspace.
There's yours problem.

Forum Links
Forum Rules