Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Cleaning and speeding up

Cleaning and speeding up
Harvey
Forum Regular
Mar 29, 2010, 08:31 AM

Hello,
My intel iMac will be 3 years old this Sept. It has recently become sluggish (pinwheel showing up more) and Parallels has become buggy(also takes forever). What is the best way of getting back the snap, crackle, and pop that it had in 07? Are there any major drawbacks to a re-install (other than time and effort)? It seems that every mac I've owned had needed and benefitted by this procedure over the years. I am also a notorious installer of every new fad (programs) that comes down the pipe . . . and end up using very few. Thanks for any ideas.

Harvey

jmiddel
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 29, 2010, 10:34 PM

Try to install the current combo updater. if that does not work, then just do an Archive and Install. Do you leave the mini on at night so it can run its housekeeping routines (chron jobs)? If not there's an app called Onyx that will run them at your request.

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 29, 2010, 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by jmiddel View Post
Do you leave the mini on at night so it can run its housekeeping routines (chron jobs)?
This should no longer be necessary. They OS knows when the scripts have been skipped.

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Mar 29, 2010, 11:32 PM

Cleaning out ~/Library/Caches will improve performance especially if they've been building up for years.
Vandelay Industries

P
Mar 30, 2010, 03:07 AM

Clean up your HD. Make sure you have at least 10% of the HD free.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Harvey  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 30, 2010, 02:00 PM

Thanks
Should I delete (empty) the cache in the main Library or my user Library? Will this adversly affect program performance?

Harvey

Forum Links
Forum Rules