Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Trouble using Messages

Trouble using Messages
Harvey
Forum Regular
Nov 28, 2012, 05:09 PM

In our attempt to get my son's mac mini up and running (He lives out of state.)we have encountered a problem. We are able to exchange messages but nothing more. My hope was to screen share and help him learn the MAC way. We have checked the file share box in each machine. He uses a gmail account that he says works with google talk, I have an AIM account and a gmail account (not connected to google talk).

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Nov 28, 2012, 06:04 PM

You need to check the SCREEN share box, not the file sharing box. Did you mistype, or is that service not switched on?

If it's on and still not working, your (or his) router's firewall may be blocking the appropriate ports.

jmiddel
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 28, 2012, 09:13 PM

If the son is outside of the father's LAN, don't they need some VNC connection? I need to know this for similar reason, mom in law. Apple's Remote Desktop is a possibility, but gets mediocre reviews. There are other options, such as the online LogMeIn service, and I think one can do it for free with VNC apps. Having just started this quest, I know little about it, this seems like an important tool for helping out in all sorts of situations.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Nov 28, 2012, 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by jmiddel View Post
If the son is outside of the father's LAN, don't they need some VNC connection?
That's what Screen Sharing in Messages *IS*.

Harvey  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 29, 2012, 03:41 AM

Thank You. No I did not mistype, I simply didn't remember doing that with my old mac in iChat 6 yrs ago. Thanks again . . . . will try it this evening after work.

Harvey  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 29, 2012, 06:11 AM

Still having problems. We are able to text, use audio and video yet his name on my Buddy List is grayed out and vice versa. Also we are still unable to share screens. Each of us has a gmail account and AIM acct. What am I missing??????

Forum Links
Forum Rules